World Cup : Group A (Rus, KSA, Egy, Uru)

BOF

Oddly this reminds me of O'Neill era Villa match against someone like Wigan. A talented with flaws team against a well drilled jobbing team, where neither is quite up to speed.

Uruguay are clearly the better side but aren't at the races, going at half speed and lacking any edge. Egypt are well organised and hard working without much spark. Unsurprisingly it's dull. Were this a league game it's got draw written all over it. And probably goalless.

Man of the match so far is the ref.  Has shown common sense and not been fooled by any of the attempted shenanigans.  Looks like he should progress beyond the group stages :) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BOF said:

Man of the match so far is the ref.  Has shown common sense and not been fooled by any of the attempted shenanigans.  Looks like he should progress beyond the group stages :) 

He also seems to have better movement than most of Uruguay's midfield...

• Haha 2

Terrible game but the right team won in fairness, despite my anti-Suarez leanings. Thought the World Cup gods were going to punish him a bit today. Thought he was poor by his standards in the match to be fair.

Next!

Just now, Czechlad said:

The World cup typically favors nations that start slow, so that might be a positive for Uruguay. They managed to get the win despite a mediocre match. 

Well as I said, Saudi are in pole position now.

Russia and Uruguay sitting pretty after round one then. Saudi Arabia are looking like they're going to be the whipping boys, hard to see them grabbing a point on the last showing. Egypt simply need Salah fit enough to play. Tuesday's game against Russia is huge for them. Russia need a win to go through. Uruguay should be all but through by the 3rd round of matches although an Egypt win on Tuesday might make it interesting.

Edited by VILLAMARV

Â