Vegetarianism/Veganism

Stevo985

39 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

And if you’ve bought it already you might as will finish it, wasting food would only make things worse :)

Absolutely 👍

Reducing waste is the other big thing I’m trying to achieve. 

14 hours ago, Michelsen said:

Had another go tonight:

Halloumi, turned in oil and sesame seeds and pan fried, kidney beans in tomato and basil sauce, fresh lettuce and tomatoes in balsamico on the side, with a slice of bread fried in the leftover oil and sesame seeds. 

Sooooo nice! Might as well go in the cooking thread. 

That makes it three days in a row without meat for me (fish yesterday). Not a problem at all so far! 

You might also like this, halloumi with chili and za'atar, cauliflower and spinach.  Very nice, quick to make, and even better if you have a few minutes earlier in the day to make some pitta bread and let it rise.

recipe.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 13/01/2019 at 12:11, peterms said:

You might also like this, halloumi with chili and za'atar, cauliflower and spinach.  Very nice, quick to make, and even better if you have a few minutes earlier in the day to make some pitta bread and let it rise.

recipe.jpg

So Mr Ems,

I made this.

I changed some things; I would definitely recommend the changes if you make it again :)

Added another element to the pitta, slow roasted beetroot with chilli and sugar.

Changed the caraway to cumin.

Added raw red onion and finely sliced cucumber.

Served with greek yoghurt, but with fresh coriander, chilli, garlic and lemon zest then some chilli sauce.

All in all a huge success and there's nothing meat would have added to the dish.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

So Mr Ems,

I made this.

I changed some things; I would definitely recommend the changes if you make it again :)

Added another element to the pitta, slow roasted beetroot with chilli and sugar.

Changed the caraway to cumin.

Added raw red onion and finely sliced cucumber.

Served with greek yoghurt, but with fresh coriander, chilli, garlic and lemon zest then some chilli sauce.

All in all a huge success and there's nothing meat would have added to the dish.

Not even doner kabab shavings?

Article with a very interesting idea, a Planetary Food Diet which may interest those who are interested in changing their diet based on what is ecologically sound. 

The diet to save lives, the planet and feed us all?

A diet has been developed that promises to save lives, feed 10 billion people and all without causing catastrophic damage to the planet.

Scientists have been trying to figure out how we are going to feed billions more people in the decades to come.

Their answer - "the planetary health diet" - does not completely banish meat and dairy.

But it requires a ginormous shift in what we pile onto our plates and turning to foods that we barely eat.

What changes am I going to have to make?

If you eat meat every day then this is the first biggie. For red meat you're looking at a burger a week or a large steak a month and that's your lot.

You can still have a couple of portions of fish and the same of chicken a week, but plants are where the rest of your protein will need to come from.

The researchers are recommending nuts and a good helping of legumes (that's beans, chickpeas and lentils) every day instead.

There's also a major push on all fruit and veg, which should be make up half of every plate of food we eat.

Although there's a cull on "starchy vegetables" such as the humble potato or cassava which is widely eaten in Africa.

So what is the diet in detail?

If you served it all up this is what you are allowed each day:

Picture
  1. Nuts - 50g a day
  2. Beans, chickpeas, lentils and other legumes - 75g a day
  3. Fish - 28g a day
  4. Eggs - 13g a day (so one and a bit a week)
  5. Meat - 14g a day of red meat and 29g a day of chicken
  6. Carbs - whole grains like bread and rice 232g a day and 50g a day of starchy vegetables
  7. Dairy - 250g - the equivalent of one glass of milk
  8. Vegetables (300g) and fruit (200g)

The diet has room for 31g of sugar and about 50g worth of oils like olive oil.

Surprised by the nuts to be honest as they need a lot of water to grow but the rest makes sense.

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Doesn't look like a lot of food for a whole day... interesting though.

Dunno, the only part that looks lacking is the meat/protein. The veg/carbs looks about bang on for me.

15 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Dunno, the only part that looks lacking is the meat/protein. The veg/carbs looks about bang on for me.

I'm probably not accounting for me being a fat word removed

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

so the latest is we should only eat equivalent of 1 cocktail sausage of meat  day  !!

they can jog right on , I use more meat then that to clean my teeth

There's very little meat in a cocktail sausage.

Confession time. I had some Quorn ones last week, could hardly tell the difference. I put it down to the lack of meat in both

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Confession time. I had some Quorn ones last week, could hardly tell the difference. I put it down to the lack of meat in both

I think you're probably right.

I think the biggest thing going veggie has made me realise is: sausages don't taste of pork.

Â