Vegetarianism/Veganism

Stevo985

47 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I think I've mentioned my thoughts on vegetarianism in this thread before.

I don't actively eat meat with every single, and in truth, some dishes are better without meat. Stuff like curries, stir fry's are way better with a tonne of veggies to be honest.

However, I couldn't give up shit like burgers, ribs, steak. There is no veggie/vegan replacement.

I tried some soy sausages the other week, absolutely vile.

I'm someone who absolutely had to have meat with every meal that wasn't breakfast almost. Wouldn't even have lunch if there was no meat. For some reason I found cutting it out surprisingly easy. You just sort of forget about it after a while.

I've found not trying to directly replace it to be key. Like don't go for meat substitutes, that'll have you wishing you had meat because they're so bad, but just have savoury veggies on the side instead like eggplant or cabbage or something. Tofu's also good if prepared right. Can actually taste like chicken, and had a ton of protein to boot.

Also Beyond Meat burgers are indistinguishable from real meat burgers I found. Best part is, even most fast food joints carry it now. You should try their line of foods. They have sausages too from what I remember.

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

I don't actively eat meat with every single, and in truth, some dishes are better without meat. Stuff like curries, stir fry's are way better with a tonne of veggies to be honest.

However, I couldn't give up shit like burgers, ribs, steak. There is no veggie/vegan replacement.

I'm a bit more refrained than you so probably haven't made my thoughts on vegetarianism  clear before  :)  , but I'd basically be dead in a week if I couldn't eat meat  , I accidentally bought some sausages with Leek in them the other day and even those nearly killed me .. bloody leeks ,  why would you do that to a sausage ?  , why  ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Cauldron Sausages. Linda McCartney Mozarella burgers or Beyond Meat burgers.

Thank me later.

You're right about steak though. There's no replacement. But that's been an advantage for me. I look elsewhere on a menu now rather than going for the usual option of a steak or a burger and discovered way more food that I'd hve never even looked at before

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Cauldron Sausages. Linda McCartney Mozarella burgers or Beyond Meat burgers.

Thank me later.

Can't get them here :( The meat-free range definitely expanding but I'm yet to find anything decent.

14 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

You're right about steak though. There's no replacement. But that's been an advantage for me. I look elsewhere on a menu now rather than going for the usual option of a steak or a burger and discovered way more food that I'd hve never even looked at before

I am pretty adventurous anyway, and if something on the menu interests me I'll order it whether it's veggie or meat tbh

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

Can't get them here :( The meat-free range definitely expanding but I'm yet to find anything decent.

I am pretty adventurous anyway, and if something on the menu interests me I'll order it whether it's veggie or meat tbh

The meat substitutes are a bit of a lottery to be honest. One brand of meat free burger/sausage can be amazing and the next one can be horiffic. Just need to try and find the ones you like but they're out there. Sausages especially.

I've said before as well that Quorn's "Crispy Nuggets" (chicken nuggets) are incredible. I would bet serious money on the theory that if you gave a plate of them to a meat eater and didn't tell them they wouldn't know they weren't eating chicken.

Quorn fillets are good too. Basically breaded chicken fillets with a filling, almost like a kiev I guess. But obviously without the chicken. They're lovely

Basically processed meat can usually be substituted pretty well but non processed is almost impossible.

• Like 1

I have tried various meat substitutes and most of them are fine enough for an occasional change.....however....quorn mince is so bland that one time (in band camp) i had to add a knorr beef stock pot to it, totally defeating the point.

If to want to lose weight I’ll go almost vegan for a bit (allow myself a small amount of skimmed milk and fat free yoghurt). It works really well as I end up cooking healthier meals and up my vegetable intake too to bulk out certain dishes. Aubergine in particular is very versatile and can replace meat pretty seamlessly in a lot of dishes. 

The only meat substitute I’ve liked was a plant shawarma kebab style thing from Tesco but they seem to have changed the recipe very recently and it wasn’t as nice the last time I had it. Not a fan of vegan cheeses either, find it better to go without. 

I ate quite unhealthily throughout lockdown and then into and through the summer. Managed to lose over a stone from early September til late October then gave myself a couple of weeks off the diet around the school October half term. Have been back on it for three weeks now and losing weight again... just in time for a Christmas blow out.

I'm not veggie, but yeah just have different versions instead of a substitute. I think I now much prefer my roasted red pepper and black bean chili than I do to my mince one. Sod using a meat substitute just have a different recipe without it. 

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

And Halloumi. Just use Halloumi for everything.

Had a Greek Gyro with Halloumi instead of meat before lockdown v2.0. It was incredible

Right, I've had it with these cheese munchers. It's time for the vegans to rise up and make our own thread. 

• Haha 2

If anybody on here wants to know some good options for meat replacements, let me know. Personally, I tend not to eat anything that looks like what I gave up - but I do buy some products for BBQs etc, also, I make vegan pasties which includes an English Breakfast version with a really nice sausage*

*gif needed

24 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

As meat substitutes go Vivera Schwarma, Beyond Burger, Quorn Nuggets and Escalopes, Richmond Sausages and Linda Mac mozzarella burgers are all great.

I agree with some of these 😁

the Sainsbury’s Plant Pioneers range is sensational. Check that out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chappy said:

If to want to lose weight I’ll go almost vegan for a bit (allow myself a small amount of skimmed milk and fat free yoghurt). It works really well as I end up cooking healthier meals and up my vegetable intake too to bulk out certain dishes. Aubergine in particular is very versatile and can replace meat pretty seamlessly in a lot of dishes. 

The only meat substitute I’ve liked was a plant shawarma kebab style thing from Tesco but they seem to have changed the recipe very recently and it wasn’t as nice the last time I had it. Not a fan of vegan cheeses either, find it better to go without. 

I ate quite unhealthily throughout lockdown and then into and through the summer. Managed to lose over a stone from early September til late October then gave myself a couple of weeks off the diet around the school October half term. Have been back on it for three weeks now and losing weight again... just in time for a Christmas blow out.

Happy to offer some suggestions, if that helps.

The important thing for me, with weight loss, was also mindfulness and the law of attraction, but the most important thing is believing - weight loss comes from a journey of knowing you can get to the end and mixing that with dietary needs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mottaloo said:

I have tried various meat substitutes and most of them are fine enough for an occasional change.....however....quorn mince is so bland that one time (in band camp) i had to add a knorr beef stock pot to it, totally defeating the point.

Sainsbury’s Plant Pioneer one is the best if you need a mince, or, soak some lentils if you’re doing something like a cottage pie and then add in peas and mushrooms for extra filling. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

The meat substitutes are a bit of a lottery to be honest. One brand of meat free burger/sausage can be amazing and the next one can be horiffic. Just need to try and find the ones you like but they're out there. Sausages especially.

I've said before as well that Quorn's "Crispy Nuggets" (chicken nuggets) are incredible. I would bet serious money on the theory that if you gave a plate of them to a meat eater and didn't tell them they wouldn't know they weren't eating chicken.

Quorn fillets are good too. Basically breaded chicken fillets with a filling, almost like a kiev I guess. But obviously without the chicken. They're lovely

Basically processed meat can usually be substituted pretty well but non processed is almost impossible.

Sainsbury’s plant pioneer nuggets and goujons 👌

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

I'm a bit more refrained than you so probably haven't made my thoughts on vegetarianism  clear before  :)  , but I'd basically be dead in a week if I couldn't eat meat  , I accidentally bought some sausages with Leek in them the other day and even those nearly killed me .. bloody leeks ,  why would you do that to a sausage ?  , why  ?

Come over for dinner 😘

My meat free sausage is so filling 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Can I ship items to you? Is that possible!?

I have no idea, but it’s a legitimate question. I’d be happy to.

Â