Vegetarianism/Veganism

Stevo985

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

Hope you don't buy the 70g jar ( non vegan apparently why only that jar size i couldn't tell you )

that's fair enough but tbf the OP referred to " You can have a perfectly balanced vegan diet if you want, without the need for supplements "

eating fortified Marmite or cereal is essentially adding supplements is it not ?

I’d expected this to be the response but as Dav has said, everything we eat can be considered a supplement, regardless of if you’re a fruitarian or a carnivore. 

I’m having a five guys burger tonight though so no need for further supplements today. 

Has anyone here (particularly people who still eat meat) tried a Beyond Burger? i ordered a burger for lunch in a pub a few days ago, and I put it down after a bite thinking they'd mixed up the order and brought me a meat one, it seemed pretty spot on to me, though it'd been a few years since I ate an actual  meat one.

25 minutes ago, choffer said:

everything we eat can be considered a supplement

That would be an unusual and rather pointless definition.  In the context of this discussion, food supplements normally refers to substances which don't naturally occur, ie manufactured, specifically to add to a diet something essential which might otherwise be lacking.  If you use the word to mean everything you eat, you've stripped it of any sensible meaning.

• Like 1

In the context of this discussion, food supplements normally refers to substances which don't naturally occur, ie manufactured, specifically to add to a diet something essential which might otherwise be lacking

Like Hobnobs?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, peterms said:

That would be an unusual and rather pointless definition.  In the context of this discussion, food supplements normally refers to substances which don't naturally occur, ie manufactured, specifically to add to a diet something essential which might otherwise be lacking.  If you use the word to mean everything you eat, you've stripped it of any sensible meaning.

Yeah, I get that. I wasn’t aiming to quite as reductive as I ended up being. Was just trying to say that you can eat a balanced meat-free diet without having to pop pills. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, choffer said:

Yeah, I get that. I wasn’t aiming to quite as reductive as I ended up being. Was just trying to say that you can eat a balanced meat-free diet without having to pop pills. 

I think meat free diets can be pretty much, but not fully, balanced.  My concern is that first some vegetarians who take it up for faddish or fashionable reasons rather than having thought too much about it may not understand what their diet will be lacking, and second that processed food manufacturers are producing expensive, unhealthy shite which some gullible people with good intentions are buying instead of naturally occurring foods that are actually what we've evolved to eat.

1 minute ago, peterms said:

I think meat free diets can be pretty much, but not fully, balanced.  My concern is that first some vegetarians who take it up for faddish or fashionable reasons rather than having thought too much about it may not understand what their diet will be lacking, and second that processed food manufacturers are producing expensive, unhealthy shite which some gullible people with good intentions are buying instead of naturally occurring foods that are actually what we've evolved to eat.

I’d say the majority if not most meat eaters diets are also deficient in something. I don’t think your point has much to do with meat choices and more to do with the general population.

I’d also hypothesise that due to making a conscious choice in the first place, ‘plant based’ diets are probably less deficient over all although obviously I don’t know and have no evidence.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Has anyone here (particularly people who still eat meat) tried a Beyond Burger? i ordered a burger for lunch in a pub a few days ago, and I put it down after a bite thinking they'd mixed up the order and brought me a meat one, it seemed pretty spot on to me, though it'd been a few years since I ate an actual  meat one.

yep, I was amazed. I think you’d fool most people with it.

1 hour ago, peterms said:

Your post comes across like you are stating facts, which is dangerous as your are factually incorrect!

Edited by Villan_of_oz

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I don't mind veggie food at this point, but I find it hilarious when people argue the environment case for a veggie/vegan diet. Not actual animal welfare, but climate and so on. That shit is funny. 

You are going to have to explain the joke 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I don't think you are in the frame of mind to consider you might be wrong, so I'll just agree to disagree with you and move on.

Errr? 

Since we clearly are several that don't understand your point of view here, why don't you explain it, being a messageboard and all. And especially since you dare call someone factually incorrect I assume it's easy for you to lay the facts on the table. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

36 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Errr? 

Since we clearly are several that don't understand your point of view here, why don't you explain it, being a messageboard and all. And especially since you dare call someone factually incorrect I assume it's easy for you to lay the facts on the table. 

I don't think there is an overwhelming desire for me to explain all the evidence that is out there in a long and boring post.

What I'm suggesting is that any evidence supplied by either party is not going to change our point of view. What you are referring to about the post I wrote months ago, yes I said you were speaking like you were factually correct rather than stating it as your opinion, which would be fine. 

What evidence or qualifications can you provide to prove your ability to factually back up the claims you made? 

Â