Vegetarianism/Veganism

Stevo985

On 12/02/2019 at 20:35, Wainy316 said:

Just had some Vivera Shawarma.  It was bloody incredible.

Came in here to post pretty much this, I've no designs on being vegetarian but our fridge is stocked with this stuff because it is FREAKING AMAZING.  The Greek kebab style one even more so.  I swear this is as near as damnit to an actual meat one as you can get.  Pan fry 'em in 5 minutes, stick 'em in a wrap with some Sriracha and lamb's lettuce/your veg of choice and you're away.  The Vivera mince is quite nice too, but the rest of the range (that I've tried) has been disgusting.  Dat kebab tho.  I'm convinced it is just meat and it's all a con, it's that good.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GarethRDR said:

Came in here to post pretty much this, I've no designs on being vegetarian but our fridge is stocked with this stuff because it is FREAKING AMAZING.  The Greek kebab style one even more so.  I swear this is as near as damnit to an actual meat one as you can get.  Pan fry 'em in 5 minutes, stick 'em in a wrap with some Sriracha and lamb's lettuce/your veg of choice and you're away.  The Vivera mince is quite nice too, but the rest of the range (that I've tried) has been disgusting.  Dat kebab tho.  I'm convinced it is just meat and it's all a con, it's that good.

Most Donner Kebabs are mainly TVP anyway

23 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Don't think I've tried any bacon substitutes. Will look out for some, but doesn't seem like something you could easily recreate

Quorn do bacon substitutes which I have tried . As meat free options personally I think Quorn is the worst brand out there. I find most of their stuff pretty crap to be honest. Much better alternatives. Their effort at reproducing bacon was quite frankly an abomination

On 28/02/2019 at 21:41, Stevo985 said:

Don't think I've tried any bacon substitutes. Will look out for some, but doesn't seem like something you could easily recreate

I gather there's some kind of halal bacon substitute made from turkey.  I've never tried it, wouldn't seek it out, might taste it if offered some, but it just sounds wrong.  Eat bacon or don't eat bacon as you prefer, but don't piss about.

26 minutes ago, peterms said:

I gather there's some kind of halal bacon substitute made from turkey.  I've never tried it, wouldn't seek it out, might taste it if offered some, but it just sounds wrong.  Eat bacon or don't eat bacon as you prefer, but don't piss about.

When i ate meat I had turkey bacon and turkey ham.

It's fine. Just tastes like turkey though.

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

When i ate meat I had turkey bacon and turkey ham.

It's fine. Just tastes like turkey though.

:)

Seems like a lot of bother to go to, when you could just eat turkey and call it turkey.

There's an interesting relationship between food processing and food fraud.  The more you mess about with food, the more you process it, the more it becomes prone to food fraud.

"Substitutes" are an obvious target.

12 minutes ago, peterms said:

:)

Seems like a lot of bother to go to, when you could just eat turkey and call it turkey.

There's an interesting relationship between food processing and food fraud.  The more you mess about with food, the more you process it, the more it becomes prone to food fraud.

"Substitutes" are an obvious target.

Just to clarify, I didn't have them with any regularity. I just mean I'd tasted them before.

At the time I'd have just had bacon.

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/02/2019 at 19:58, Michelsen said:

Today I made linguine with a sauce from sauteed onions and mushrooms, a little bit of chopped red chili, red pesto and a dash of creme fraiche. Pretty damn tasty. 

Had this again today. One of several dishes I’ve had lately where I’m convinced meat would actually have made the dish less tasty. 

I didn’t think this was possible. 

• Like 1

Another vote for Vivera Shawarma. Just had a whole packet of it, mainly cos it was really nice and I'm a greedy git !

The pieces are a bit small and fiddly so it means shovelling more of it in to my gob to get a great taste experience (*awaits @Xelaand his kenny williams pic !*)

Will check out those quorn swedish meatballs soon 

• Like 1

Here’s an annoying thing about being veggie. 

Took a long haul flight yesterday. Pre ordered a veggie meal option for it. 

It came and it was disgusting. Some sort of bean stew. 

But on the normal in flight menu that everyone else had, there was a lovely sounding veggie option anyway. 

Same thing happened when I went to New York in November. 

Why not just give me the veggie option that’s already on the menu?!

On 01/03/2019 at 22:13, peterms said:

I agree with. When I see veggie or vegan options with meat names i think why not just call it what it is instead.

A vegan chicken burger is not a chicken burger. 

I suppose it’s the only way to fill a menu. 

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Here’s an annoying thing about being veggie. 

Took a long haul flight yesterday. Pre ordered a veggie meal option for it. 

It came and it was disgusting. Some sort of bean stew. 

But on the normal in flight menu that everyone else had, there was a lovely sounding veggie option anyway. 

Same thing happened when I went to New York in November. 

Why not just give me the veggie option that’s already on the menu?!

Both ways to Barbados there were only vegetarian options left on the flight by the time they got to our seat which pissed me off.  I didn't realise that you can order one in advance, which makes it even more annoying that they didn't have enough meaty ones for everyone.

24 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I agree with. When I see veggie or vegan options with meat names i think why not just call it what it is instead.

A vegan chicken burger is not a chicken burger. 

I suppose it’s the only way to fill a menu. 

This has been covered several times over the last 48 pages, but very few people are vegetarian/vegan simply because they don't like the flavour, so what's the problem with creating similar flavours/textures and using a language that'll let people know roughly what to expect?

It's not confusing anyone, it's not like you're going to ask for a chicken burger in a mainstream restaurant and end up with the vegan option.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

This has been covered several times over the last 48 pages, but very few people are vegetarian/vegan simply because they don't like the flavour, so what's the problem with creating similar flavours/textures and using a language that'll let people know roughly what to expect?

It's not confusing anyone, it's not like you're going to ask for a chicken burger in a mainstream restaurant and end up with the vegan option.

Fair point and explained well. 

• Like 1

Â