Vegetarianism/Veganism

Stevo985

45 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

It suggests that becoming vegan reduces your carbon footprint by 73%

According to what you've quoted, it doesn't.

It says:

... could reduce an individual's carbon footprint by up to 73 per cent.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheAuthority said:

*In case someone starts banging on about hidden agendas etc. :rolleyes:

If you're going to have a dig at other posters then at least try to make sure that it stands up.

I posted a link to an article in the Grauniad on this same study last Thursday.

On 31/05/2018 at 20:56, snowychap said:

On 29/05/2018 at 10:31, a m ole said:

My angle is about reducing environmental impact and animal suffering

A timely article:

Avoiding meat and dairy is ‘single biggest way’ to reduce your impact on Earth

Avoiding meat and dairy products is the single biggest way to reduce your environmental impact on the planet, according to the scientists behind the most comprehensive analysis to date of the damage farming does to the planet.

Edited by snowychap

Had a BBQ at my mom's yesterday for her birthday.

I stuck to veggie alternatives and they were bloody lovely.

Sweetcorn and chickpea burgers, sweet potato and red pepper sausages, and haloumi skewers.

I was a little bit jealous of the proper beef burgers, but the veggie sausages were so nice that I didn't miss the meat ones at all. 

It was funny to see my family's reaction to me telling them I was going veggie though :D 

Can anyone recommend any books on the subject?

I've had a few recommended to me. 

"The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair, "Eating Animals" by Jonathan Safran Foer and "Dominion" by Matthew Scully

I'd like to read one on my upcoming holiday and I'm leaning towards Dominion at the moment, although I'm a bit worried it's focused too much on the Bible and religion.

Edited by Stevo985

I've got no intention of going veggie, but I would quite like to reduce the amount of meat I eat.

What makes it hard is not so much that I would miss the meat as I just don't like vegetables enough to eat them as an alternative.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Can anyone recommend any books on the subject?

I've had a few recommended to me. 

"The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair, "Eating Animals" by Jonathan Safran Foer and "Dominion" by Matthew Scully

I'd like to read one on my upcoming holiday and I'm leaning towards Dominion at the moment, although I'm a bit worried it's focused too much on the Bible and religion.

The Mad Cowboy

https://www.amazon.com/Mad-Cowboy-Plain-Cattle-Rancher/dp/0684854465

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Danwichmann said:

I've got no intention of going veggie, but I would quite like to reduce the amount of meat I eat.

What makes it hard is not so much that I would miss the meat as I just don't like vegetables enough to eat them as an alternative.

Ha you're in Korea.  You've got no chance!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Danwichmann said:

I'm the exact opposite. And I don't really like eggs so if I don't eat fish, I don't get a tonne of protein which is bad for me because I have a really active lifestyle. 

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Had a BBQ at my mom's yesterday for her birthday.

I stuck to veggie alternatives and they were bloody lovely.

Sweetcorn and chickpea burgers, sweet potato and red pepper sausages, and haloumi skewers.

I was a little bit jealous of the proper beef burgers, but the veggie sausages were so nice that I didn't miss the meat ones at all. 

It was funny to see my family's reaction to me telling them I was going veggie though :D 

Next time you have a BBQ, try the LM quarter pounders. They're bloody delicious. Still quite good in the oven, but they're great on a BBQ.

About books, I'd really recommend Peter Singer's Animal Liberation. It's a philosophy book written by a professor, but it's remarkably accessible. It was one of the first things to make me even consider my choice to eat meat, before I read that book, it was just what people did.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

Â