18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

On 23/08/2018 at 07:30, One For The Road said:

We need a new goalkeeper and 2 new defenders if we are to have any hope at all of competing for an automatic spot. 

If we don't bring any defenders in at all then I fail to see how we can get into the play offs as we are so, so poor at the back that the pressure on our attackers is far too much.

Interesting how you can disagree totally about the same facts.

For me, the urgent need is to get more cutting edge in front of goal.We dominated Brentford for 70 minutes but were pathetic when it came to scoring attempts. We won’t get promoted unless we can fix this.

Defence is fine in my view. Just need a bit more time to settle in.

2 hours ago, briny_ear said:

For me, the urgent need is to get more cutting edge in front of goal.We dominated Brentford for 70 minutes but were pathetic when it came to scoring attempts. We won’t get promoted unless we can fix this.

I'd say the goals we have conceded thus far are proof the defence isn't fine. We have scored plenty of goals this season already but conceded too many.

Edited by One For The Road

2 hours ago, briny_ear said:

I can’t agree with this. First half the defence was protected by the high pressing and us retaining the ball. One attack and they scored. Second half they put pressure on and missed 2 sitters. It’s not enough to have a great midfield and attack. Defence must also be solid if we have aspirations of top 2.

I din5 think we are going up. We needed a good start and we haven’t had it. Bruce’s return in the last three games have been pathetic. I’m losing patience with the crap starts each year. He has no excuses, absolutely none

A grim week. To go up automatically, assuming you score more points at home than away, which is true of the vast majority of teams, we will presumably need to take something in the region of 50 points or just over from the 69 available at home. This week, then, we've dropped about 20% of the home points we can drop all season. 

We are not good enough. Days like today the players have to take some responsibility. Is it complacency? Everytime we move forward we fall back to old habits.

Slow start, moving the ball slowly. too many touches, too many sideways passes, not enough risks. Players receiving the ball in the opposition third and just killing it dead, looking up and waiting an age to move it.

Is Bruce telling them to do this? No.

Why does Bruce have to scream at them to move the **** ball?

Absolutely sick of it. We should go out every week to win the game. Play on the front foot. Why are there so many days like today when it is just flat as a fart. A forward pass into someone's foot is like trying to perform brain surgery.

Says something when Bruce has to scream on the sideline for players to pass the ball to each other instead of standing on it, and has to instruct his midfield to put in tackles.

Half arsed. Shite mentality. Good club. Good facilities. Nice ground?
It's all comfortable.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Would snatch your hands off for play off place.

We are nowhere near good enough for top 2 this time.

I'm not willing to stick a pin in it just yet, but we certainly cannot have a week like that at any point in the remainder of the season, nor can we afford to go three games without a win agai

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mazrim said:

I'm sick to death of drawing games we should be winning. We should have won the last 3. Its cost us dearly the last couple of seasons and its got to stop. 

It's not going to stop with Bruce in charge. It will always be about trying to close shop in the last 15 minutes where we are winning instead of keeping on the front foot to defend what we have. 

It will always be throw on all the strikers if we're losing. 

And despite neither of these tactics particularly working for us over the last 2 years, you will just see the same again this year which will cost us crucial points over and over again. 

• Like 2