18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

We didn't play well, but through to the final.

Now the hard part, trying to buy a ticket for the final from Australia and book flights, not going to miss a bit of Villa history.

• Like 4

Just now, Demitri_C said:

God if Leeds get there we play anywhere near as poor as that we will get destroyed 

We played against a team who only wanted to defend, they sat deep and we had no space. They had no intention on beating us by anything more than 1 goal. I hate Leeds, but that isn't their game. 

Today instructed me never to be cocksure about a cup game ever again. The season means naff all when it comes to the pressure of a game like that. The biggest plus of tonight, apart from getting through is that in Game 1 we had our screw up, Game 2 we rode our luck, so in game 3 we're actually due a performance. Icing on the cake will be Derby, but my god I do not underestimate them or Leeds in a one-off game. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

This feels different to me this season compared to last season. We very well might still lose the final but we won’t park the bus like we did against Fulham last season and come back with regrets. If we are at 100% we are a match for anyone in this league. 

This, the players might bottle the final but I have faith the manager won't. 

Just had a McGinn and tonic to celebrate!

Here’s the Steer....

WE ARE GOING UP!!! 

I am innately cautious about calling the future for AVFC, but I can feel it in my water. We are going back to where we belong 😄😄

Main worry for me going to final is most of our attacking players are doing disappearing acts at key stage of the season again.

Tonight Tammy had his worst game of the season so seems the shoulder injury has impacted a bit. Green waste of time and we simply couldn't get Jack on the ball enough so Leeds will be taking note of that, McGinn also struggled to get into either game. El Ghazi was good though so can see Leeds trying to wind him up again (I fully expect them to comfortably finish the job tomorrow although would be delighted to be proved wrong).

This time last year Lewis Grabban tailed off and Adomah and Snodgrass weren't great either so our only attacking threat in the final was Jack. He played his heart out but not enough to beat a very decent Fulham team.

To win the final we're going to need all our attacking players to be of good standard and that rarely happens for us in Wembley finals.

Edit: Personally I'd start Kodjia in the final. It could go wrong but he's a wildcard who'd give Leeds plenty to think about. Adomah is a very safe selection which feels a bit Steve Bruce to me in just wanting to keep things tight and give opposition the advantage.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

This, the players might bottle the final but I have faith the manager won't. 

Think all subs tonight were positive changes. Even Jedinak I knew was on to take a penalty

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dick said:

We played against a team who only wanted to defend, they sat deep and we had no space. They had no intention on beating us by anything more than 1 goal. I hate Leeds, but that isn't their game. 

Bit worried how we conceded, Pontus Jansson has got good scoring record v us.

Basically I'm all worst case scenario at the moment. It would be lovely for this club to turn up at Wembley for once in a final and put in an excellent performance. We are well overdue, the last one was Leeds in March 1996.

35 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

This feels different to me this season compared to last season. We very well might still lose the final but we won’t park the bus like we did against Fulham last season and come back with regrets. If we are at 100% we are a match for anyone in this league. 

I think the nerves which we have had over the semi final will translate into throwing everything at it in the final!

That is what i'm hoping anyway.

• Like 1