18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

3 hours ago, Nigel said:

Would last years team beat this team?

Yes. Last year's team would sit back against this year's and get torn apart.

But pound for pound, player for player I still think this season's team is better. Better striker, stronger midfield, similar defence.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, villarocker said:

I think that whoever finishes 6th cannot be written off against Leeds, especially if Bamford gets his justified ban for the first leg and Roofe is still out injured. The team playing the home leg might be able to sneak a couple of goals in front and go to Elland Road with a good shout. 

I will be a lot more confident about going up this season if we beat the Baggies. 

I hate to keep pointing this out but it’s still perfectly possible for Leeds and The Baggies to swap places. Only needs Baggies to Win and Leeds to lose.🙂

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Leeds looked good Sunday in spells, but whilst 27 shots always sounds impressive, the vast majority of them were from 20-25 yards and possibly 10 or so after we were down to 10 men and we had, frankly, lost our heads. I thought we created much the better chances up until the 72nd minute, away from home without anything to really play for aside from pride and momentum. We did what other successful sides against them have done, let them have the ball, let them have the odd pot shot from distance and let them make mistakes. Hit them on the counter, which we did a grand job of. I felt like we were in control without needing to dominate the ball, which was kinda new. I was confident we were going to win it eventually. 

We just don't concede goals. that's 6 in 11 games, only 2 where the defence has been beaten fair and square. And we know we have tons of goals in us. I'll be amazed if West Brom beat us over 2 legs, no matter how nervous I am about it. Then I hope to the football lord McGrath we get these lot again in the final, despite the obviously easier tie in Boro or Derby being on offer.

Revenge is a dish best served piping hot. 

Very much agree. Not sure why some hold Leeds as being better than us at all.

I never thought we were in any trouble at all on Sunday.

(But of course, it could be the Semi Final  rather than the Final)

8 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Derby leading at half time 1-0.

That would put Bristol out of the race.

I would like them to still be in it to make the last day interesting, but they're the team least likeliest to beat Leeds right now. I think Derby and Boro can take them in 2 legs.

3 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

That would put Bristol out of the race.

I would like them to still be in it to make the last day interesting, but they're the team least likeliest to beat Leeds right now. I think Derby and Boro can take them in 2 legs.

I think it would put Boro out of the race too. Three points and seven goals behind Derby as it stands.

Boro do have Rotherham, but Boro have only scored three goals in a league game twice this season. Pulis would have to break the habit of a lifetime and hope his old team put Derby to the sword when they don’t really have to.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Farlz said:

Snodgrass in this years team, oh my god. That would be something. 

Yeah, I miss Snoddy, he was very good for us and had a great attitude.

Swansea 1 - 1 Derby... oooh bum twitch time for Derby and Boro. 

3 hours ago, terrytini said:

Very much agree. Not sure why some hold Leeds as being better than us at all.

I never thought we were in any trouble at all on Sunday.

(But of course, it could be the Semi Final  rather than the Final)

Added to which if Whelan had played we would have broken up their own play far more effectively whiles giving McGinn and Grealish far more freedom to express themselves in midfield. 

Never thought I would say is but Whelan has become massively important to us. 

• Like 2

Ends in a draw.

I know it’s still in Derby’s hands but to me it feels like it’s swung back towards Boro’s favour. I’m fairly confident Boro will beat Rotherham, Derby beating Baggies....not so sure.

Best result with regards to excitement on the final day. Almost everything else is set in stone aside from who wins the league and who gets the last play-off spot. I'm just glad we're safe and have been for a couple weeks cause I don't need that stress right now. 

17 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Middlesbrough hasn't been beaten by Leeds this season. They would be our best hope for knocking Leeds out in the semis. Facing boro in the final would be a walk in the park. 

Of course our form puts us in a slightly different view, but I reckon there will be some saying similar about us and Baggies.

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

For his first season Lampard has done very well as a coach. Fair play to him

Eh.

He hasn't done a bad job, but he's taken a team that's a playoff side and nearly reached the playoffs (may yet do it).

Derby are always in and around the playoff picture. If he takes them up then he's done a very good job.

• Like 1