18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

Whereas on Saturday we played very well for most of the game, tonight we were bad until the penalty save.

Controlled the game with no threat in the first half and found ourselves 1-0 down.

Penalty save seemed to give the players belief and changed the game.

Was worth missing my brother's birthday to go though

2 hours ago, privateer said:

It will be interesting if Derby don't win tomorrow. If that's the case I fancy Boro to sneak in.

If Derby don't win tomorrow then Boro are favourites for me.

However, Rotherham have a decent home record and could cause a slip up there.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but come on Swansea.

• Like 1

I think that whoever finishes 6th cannot be written off against Leeds, especially if Bamford gets his justified ban for the first leg and Roofe is still out injured. The team playing the home leg might be able to sneak a couple of goals in front and go to Elland Road with a good shout. 

I will be a lot more confident about going up this season if we beat the Baggies. 

Edited by villarocker

10 minutes ago, villarocker said:

I think that whoever finishes 6th cannot be written off against Leeds, especially if Bamford gets his justified ban for the first leg and Roofe is still out injured. The team playing the home leg might be able to sneak a couple of goals in front and go to Elland Road with a good shout. 

I will be a lot more confident about going up this season if we beat the Baggies. 

Also the Leeds crowd are not very supportive they get on their teams backs so if don’t end well first leg the pressure will really be on

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

It's crazy that we're not frantically going through these permutations with ourselves included and are sitting pretty with 5th place already confirmed. A month ago I would have gave my left nut to be in Bristol's position right now.

Completely agree. I'm so proud of Dean and the boys for getting us where we are now. 

It's quite literally been a record breaking run. Hats off to them all. 

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

It's crazy that we're not frantically going through these permutations with ourselves included and are sitting pretty with 5th place already confirmed. A month ago I would have gave my left nut to be in Bristol's position right now.

Indeed. 

In February if you'd told me we'd be scrapping for 6th place I'd have called you crazy, let alone that we'd have secured our playoff spot with a couple of games to go.

Shows how crazy our run has been.

Fingers crossed we keep it going for another 4 matches!

Leeds are the best team in the playoffs IMO (excluding us of course) and for that reason I want them in the semi final, get past that and I'd fancy us against Boro/Derby/Bristol and make us slight favourites against West Brom in a final, and if we're going to lose I'd rather it be in the semi than the final. The best case is we play either Derby or Boro in the final, but I think it's unlikely either of them will beat Leeds over 2 legs

Leeds looked good Sunday in spells, but whilst 27 shots always sounds impressive, the vast majority of them were from 20-25 yards and possibly 10 or so after we were down to 10 men and we had, frankly, lost our heads. I thought we created much the better chances up until the 72nd minute, away from home without anything to really play for aside from pride and momentum. We did what other successful sides against them have done, let them have the ball, let them have the odd pot shot from distance and let them make mistakes. Hit them on the counter, which we did a grand job of. I felt like we were in control without needing to dominate the ball, which was kinda new. I was confident we were going to win it eventually. 

We just don't concede goals. that's 6 in 11 games, only 2 where the defence has been beaten fair and square. And we know we have tons of goals in us. I'll be amazed if West Brom beat us over 2 legs, no matter how nervous I am about it. Then I hope to the football lord McGrath we get these lot again in the final, despite the obviously easier tie in Boro or Derby being on offer.

Revenge is a dish best served piping hot. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I think a critical point we have if we get to Wembley is the experience factor of playing on finals and at Wembley. If we get there I expect we will  be able to handle the pressure more than any of our opponents 

36 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think a critical point we have if we get to Wembley is the experience factor of playing on finals and at Wembley. If we get there I expect we will  be able to handle the pressure more than any of our opponents 

You’ve got to think that last years final will certainly help them, the nerves that were there for some players won’t be there now. Or at least not as bad. Plus, the games against Middlesbrough last year we just defended for the most part and tried to stop them scoring. Where as this year we’ve really shown that the quality we have deserves our spot in the playoffs. We won’t be going to the baggies trying to hold on, if we get to the final I’m sure the players will think they deserve it and will feel more confident than last season.

4 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Would last years team beat this team?

You’d like to think not. We’re just as resilient at the back as well as playing with a lot more freedom going forward. We’ve looked pretty relentless at times on the attack and you’d hope that it would pay off against a team that sits back a lot. It says a lot that a player such as Whelan who last season looked dreadful in a lot of games has been one of our most consistent players this year. The players just aren’t under constant attack from the opposition like they were.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Did last years team manage to beat Brentford

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Nigel said:

Good question. I would say no. Simply because what Tammy Mings and mcginn bring. Mcginn would have ran through our cm of last year. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Whereas on Saturday we played very well for most of the game, tonight we were bad until the penalty save.

Controlled the game with no threat in the first half and found ourselves 1-0 down.

Penalty save seemed to give the players belief and changed the game.

Was worth missing my brother's birthday to go though

If Derby don't win tomorrow then Boro are favourites for me.

However, Rotherham have a decent home record and could cause a slip up there.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but come on Swansea.

I have to give you credit for going and getting the win there. It's kept you in it and has kept the sixth place race interesting.

Obviously I'm rapt that we're out of it and don't have a dog in the, er, dog fight but I'm with you. I want Swansea to do Derby so we get a final day thriller of 3 into 1for 6th. 🤔 Although saying that, I think mathematically WE could still end up in 6th if Norwich give us a hammering and Derby go purple for their next two and bag six or seven over those two games. :lol:

😬 So yeah, I'm definitely saying "Come on Swansea"  because my favoured outcome is settling two scores in two grudge matches - the Baggies and Leeds. I have no interest in us playing Derby, Boro or (no offence intended) yourselves. I want us to get promoted the way Conan The Barbarian would approve of.

"To crush our enemies, see them driven before us and to hear the lamentations of their women."