18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

It is unbelievable that we have got to where we are. Two months ago, like most Villa fans, I thought that the season was gone. I still supported Smith, but thought there was too much work to do and too much of a mountain to climb. Credit to Smith and the team, amazing run of form, 10 wins on the trot, well done everyone at Villa (except Micah). 

Whether we win the playoffs or not, Smith should rightly be recognised for this achievement, and is in the record books. I feel far more confident about going into the playoffs this season. I also do not fear the last couple of games against Leeds and Norwich. 

UTV!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, macandally said:

Is that us 100% in the playoffs?

assuming that is based on Derby having to play Bristol and our superior goal difference?

Neither Bristol nor Boro can surpass our current tally of 75. The only thing not confirmed now is 5th. A draw in one of the last 2 games would secure that.

Sweet stuff, half the job completed now. Worst we can do is sixth and that would take us to lose both our remaining two, Bristol and Derby to win all their remaining that they can and in the one where they can't then Derby have to go to their playoff rival at Bristol and beat them.

Of the three permutations of the Bristol-Derby game, two out of three leave us in fifth. If we grab any points off Leeds or Norwich then fifth is likely again.

Watching Leeds v Brentford wonder if it is better for us for Leeds to win and the race for Automatic to go to last game .

The team that misses out on last day of season maybe affected more and makes them perform poorly and gives them no opportunity to rest players.

Do we start resting players now or try to keep momentum going?

Playoffs are definitely a much tougher task this season imo. Last year, Fulham were the only side who worried me and if we played anyone else in the final we'd have gone up I'm certain. This time there's Albion and one of Leeds and Sheffield United.

Obviously we're in fantastic form and when we turn it on we're incredible but it's still going to be very tough. 

• Like 1

Leeds will probably beat us based purely on how badly they need the points and how little we do. Norwich should hopefully be champions when we face them and have half the team nursing hangovers.  

Fook resting players.  We need to keep this winning streak alive.  Going into the playoffs after smashing Leeds and Norwich will give the team the confidence that they can beat ANYONE.  Play our best players and keep focused on one game at a time.  As soon as we change that cliche'd philosophy is when the wheels will fall off this whole run of form.  After 5 more games, the players can rest on the beach while staring at their promotion medals.  Until then, keep winning one game at a time.

• Like 3

Brilliant turnaround from all at the club to get us to a guaranteed play-off spot and to break a club record in doing so. Let's hope they can finish the job now and win the play-offs and get us back where we belong, in the top flight of English football. 

Whoever decided that we should bring back Steer, Green and Elphick. Whoever decided we should loan in Mings and Hause. For me, it's those decisions that have turned out season around - together with sacking Bruce in order to get Smith and his team in. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

Leeds will probably beat us based purely on how badly they need the points and how little we do. Norwich should hopefully be champions when we face them and have half the team nursing hangovers.  

Not looking that way for Norwich - in fact, if Leeds win the game they're playing now and then beat us I don't think Norwich can come to Villa Park as Champions. I have a sneaky feeling we'll beat Norwich on the last day and put them out of the top two.

There's one thing that really makes me believe we can go up this season - we've got a Manager that believes in his players and isn't a coward. At least if we do go down during the play-offs, we will have at least had a go and gave our all. For me, that's what makes Dean Smith a perfect fit for us because we want to see our players given chance to win instead of the old remit of trying not to lose!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I have a sneaky feeling we'll beat Norwich on the last day and put them out of the top two.

This is what's giving me the fear. We could derail autos for Leeds or Norwich, then face them in the play-off final. Not a fan of that sort of motivation for the opposition..

Well done. I think everyone is afraid of a team with 10 wins in a row, so we will scare whoever we play more than they scare us.

Just make sure to rest the key players. Especially next game, as I’m sure Leeds wouldn’t mind ending the season for a couple of our players.