18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

Getting back to playoffs I don’t think we can take anything for granted.

We haven’t beaten any of the top 4 this season(WBA have beaten all of them Norwich Sheffield away and beaten Leeds 4-1 at home)

We are playing extremely well and beating teams outside top 4 with relative ease.Can we do the same against the top 4?

We probably won’t know until the playoffs start as our last 2 games may be meaningless.

Last season when we beat Wolves we all thought if we can beat the best team in league easily we can beat them all.We won’t know how good this team is until playoffs.

2 minutes ago, Londonastonvilla said:

Getting back to playoffs I don’t think we can take anything for granted.

We haven’t beaten any of the top 4 this season(WBA have beaten all of them Norwich Sheffield away and beaten Leeds 4-1 at home)

We are playing extremely well and beating teams outside top 4 with relative ease.Can we do the same against the top 4?

We probably won’t know until the playoffs start as our last 2 games may be meaningless.

Last season when we beat Wolves we all thought if we can beat the best team in league easily we can beat them all.We won’t know how good this team is until playoffs.

In a way I am glad we are facing both Leeds and Norwich before the season is over. While Norwich will be on the beach by then, it's looking likely that Leeds won't be. I am actually glad that we get a dress rehearsal of sorts against a team of higher or similar quality as the rest of the teams in the play-offs. Whether we win or lose it will offer us a great amount of knowledge to take into the matches that count.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

It would appear I still have anger issues with tactics Tim. 

I think I'll have a cup of tea and a lie down before the cat gets it. 

sam-the-cat-looks-permanently-worried-th

Edited by sidcow

I don't think we should think too much about what did or didnt happen before 2 or 3 months ago. That wasn't the same team, so the comparisons dont really apply in my opinion. That Steve Bruces' Villa failed to beat a so called top 4 side is of no bearing, such is the difference in coaching, leadership on and off the pitch, playing style and personnel.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

I don't think we should think too much about what did or didnt happen before 2 or 3 months ago. That wasn't the same team, so the comparisons dont really apply in my opinion. That Steve Bruces' Villa failed to beat a so called top 4 side is of no bearing, such is the difference in coaching, leadership on and off the pitch, playing style and personnel.

Ditto an early Smith team with little understanding of the system, no Jack Grealish and a brand new defensive unit. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Ditto an early Smith team with little understanding of the system, no Jack Grealish and a brand new defensive unit. 

...and we were 2-0 up at half time (against the run of play). Had we not fallen to bits at the back late on we might have held on to 3 points there, or at least got a point. We are a very different proposition now, before that game we were scoring loads but shipping loads, now we've got the off the ball and defensive organisation down to match the pretty stuff.

3 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Wow. I could not disagree more. 

He ended up making his own errors, adding on to the absolute mess we'd become but to say he is most responsible is crazy. Paul Lambert embedded a losing culture and created such a negative fan base, that combined with Lerner being an abysmal owner were the main reasons. Timmy was just too shit to do anything to really stop the eventual result. 

Replace Lambert with Sherwood and Sherwood with Garde and that's closer to the truth.

The supposed losing culture didn't prevent Tim from keeping us up and getting to a playoff final. It was a combination of his insane tactics, scattershot recruitment and poor man management that led us to losing 8 of the first 9 games the next season and creating his very own losing culture that couldn't be recovered by Garde.

He had a clean slate and 50 million pounds (more than Lambert got in all of his windows combined and quite a lot for a team like us in one window at the time, before the TV deal) to put it right, so you can't pin his failure on previous regimes. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Didn't he actually save us from relegation?

I'm confused.

The morale at the end of that season was terrible, and the strange tactic of a very high line game left players knackered and getting thrashed. What did he learn from that? Continue with the high line - and continue to get thrashed. He was the beginning of the end for us.

22 hours ago, Daweii said:

In a way I am glad we are facing both Leeds and Norwich before the season is over. While Norwich will be on the beach by then, it's looking likely that Leeds won't be. I am actually glad that we get a dress rehearsal of sorts against a team of higher or similar quality as the rest of the teams in the play-offs. Whether we win or lose it will offer us a great amount of knowledge to take into the matches that count.

I think we are light years better than both of these sides.

• Haha 1

On 20/04/2019 at 12:27, terrytini said:

Interesting how we all see things differently.

To beat Boro would mean three times in a season. Over the years I’ve found that doesn’t happen much, regardless of the relative standards of the two teams.

So I’m actually more comfortable with games against Leeds, Sheffield, the Baggies, and Bristol, than I would be with Derby or Boro...despite watching us destroy that latter two each time.

But it doesn’t matter, it will be what it will be 🙂

Boro haven't actually scored a goal against us now in six matches so that's one duck they'd probably break. In play offs I just look at match ups and Boro never seem to get near our midfield when we play them and we can cope with their long balls hence the Man. United style hold we have over them. The sort of game we could comfortably get by with Jedinak at CB.

Even if they miss out on top 6 I'd still be concerned over Leeds. Allioski, Hernandez and all their attacking midfielders floating around Whelan.....dangerous just like Fulham this time last year. At least we wouldn't play a midfield two of Hourihane and Jedinak against them.

Edited by VillaChris