18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

5 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Since the appointment of Dean Smith with Grealish fit the new projected points total would be 76 points after 46 games. That includes our 60 points now and projecting the current 2.29 PPG (P14 W10 D2 L2 Pts 32) from Smith with Grealish fit over the remaining 7 games.

Based on last season that would see us finish 5th

giphy.gif

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

We have depth, not necessarily 4-5 players deep in each position, but enough to rotate. A lot of our players are very versatile too, so can cover for each other.

We finished the game tonight with 5 CBs on the pitch (albeit one is so comfortable on the ball he was capable of stepping into CM, and one has been playing LB this season and was LWB when he came on).

Our main issue with depth right now is CM, where we have 5 CMs, one who picked up a knock tonight and went off- after coming back from a 7 month injury on the weekend, one who just got a 2 game suspension for getting his 10th booking, another who is back from injury but not played since the return, a youth player breaking through and Brownhill.

Other issue is goalkeepers, 2 first choice ones are out, we signed a free transfer as cover until the end of the season and he got subbed after 35 or so minutes in an u23 game because he picked up a knock, so we used an academy graduate tonight with no goalkeeper on the bench, but realistically you shouldn't need to end up on a 3rd or 4th choice goalkeeper, and certainly not twice in one season like we have!

Really? Fair play if you using an academy keeper and keeping clean sheets. 

I think you you will fall short mate. 

11 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

We have depth, not necessarily 4-5 players deep in each position, but enough to rotate. A lot of our players are very versatile too, so can cover for each other.

We finished the game tonight with 5 CBs on the pitch (albeit one is so comfortable on the ball he was capable of stepping into CM, and one has been playing LB this season and was LWB when he came on).

Our main issue with depth right now is CM, where we have 5 CMs, one who picked up a knock tonight and went off- after coming back from a 7 month injury on the weekend, one who just got a 2 game suspension for getting his 10th booking, another who is back from injury but not played since the return, a youth player breaking through and Brownhill.

Other issue is goalkeepers, 2 first choice ones are out, we signed a free transfer as cover until the end of the season and he got subbed after 35 or so minutes in an u23 game because he picked up a knock, so we used an academy graduate tonight with no goalkeeper on the bench, but realistically you shouldn't need to end up on a 3rd or 4th choice goalkeeper, and certainly not twice in one season like we have!

Beating Sheff Utd and Middlesbrough away is very commendable.

losing Kodjia, then Abraham and replacing them with Diedhiou is also commendable.....I think Lee has done a good job.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

No, fifth ISN'T in our hands because if either Bristol or Derby were to win all their games then they would land above us. It's just they can't both do it! Fifth is just POSSIBLE in my ridiculous scenario where as sixth would be GUARANTEED.

Also, if you start talking about just matching results, then you have to consider at least another three teams arguable.

knowing our luck we will finish 7th

Even though Sheffield United are third and been very good I think I fancy us against them in a two legged game. They will be shaky after what happened at villa Park and we played terribly that night. 

Also we had no grealish in that game and that's a big difference. 

.......................................................................................

To be honest, I look at Sheffield United's team and am not really in awe of them. Football isn't about individuals I agree, but how many of their players would get in our side? I remember Stevens at Villa, he was absolutely awful, and he's their first choice left back. Norwood is a threat and a talented player, and Billy Sharp is capable of bundling in a goal or two, but talent-wise I see us having more players capable of causing problems. But it shows what a fantastic job Wilder has done, I don't think many expected them to be right up there. And it would be foolish to be arrogant and dismiss them, they're up there for a reason. 

The problem with Villa this season has been playing well below what we are capable of. In both the Sheffield United games we were absolutely shocking, as bad as I've seen us play except possibly the Wigan game. Obviously we didn't have Grealish for the home game, and for the away game we still had Bruce's negative tactics running through the team.

Don't get me wrong, Sheffield are a very good side, play as a team, play good football, and it will not be easy at all. But the way we're playing now, and with so many attacking threats in our side (Grealish, Abraham, McGinn, El Ghazi) I would definitely fancy us to get through if everyone is fit and on their game. 

It's at times like this I find a points distribution league table is much more reflective of the situation.  Suffice it to say.  Tight as a nun's gooter.

71aa63a06e322a1214e1b46145ea89bc.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, The_Rev said:

Bolton will compete the season. It's April, winding them up now would create a legal headache that nobody wants. 

et voila,

they've been given until May 5th now.

5 minutes ago, Rodders said:

et voila,

they've been given until May 5th now.

BBC reporting just now that they've been given until May 8th to settle their debts, but it doesn't automatically follow that they'll get their safety certificate back, so games will probably still pile up in the interim.  It's remarkable that they're still in with a chance of survival given the atrocious season they've had.  Says a lot for the rest of the clubs down there.

1 hour ago, BOF said:

BBC reporting just now that they've been given until May 8th to settle their debts, but it doesn't automatically follow that they'll get their safety certificate back, so games will probably still pile up in the interim.  It's remarkable that they're still in with a chance of survival given the atrocious season they've had.  Says a lot for the rest of the clubs down there.

Why can't they just play in their stadium behind closed doors. It's not like the stadium is ever more than 1/4 full anyway.

Just now, villa89 said:

Why can't they just play in their stadium behind closed doors. It's not like the stadium is ever more than 1/4 full anyway.

Dunno.  It might be a possibility.  Although I think some players have refused to train as well, until they're paid.

3 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Even though Sheffield United are third and been very good I think I fancy us against them in a two legged game. They will be shaky after what happened at villa Park and we played terribly that night. 

Also we had no grealish in that game and that's a big difference. 

.......................................................................................

To be honest, I look at Sheffield United's team and am not really in awe of them. Football isn't about individuals I agree, but how many of their players would get in our side? I remember Stevens at Villa, he was absolutely awful, and he's their first choice left back. Norwood is a threat and a talented player, and Billy Sharp is capable of bundling in a goal or two, but talent-wise I see us having more players capable of causing problems. But it shows what a fantastic job Wilder has done, I don't think many expected them to be right up there. And it would be foolish to be arrogant and dismiss them, they're up there for a reason. 

The problem with Villa this season has been playing well below what we are capable of. In both the Sheffield United games we were absolutely shocking, as bad as I've seen us play except possibly the Wigan game. Obviously we didn't have Grealish for the home game, and for the away game we still had Bruce's negative tactics running through the team.

Don't get me wrong, Sheffield are a very good side, play as a team, play good football, and it will not be easy at all. But the way we're playing now, and with so many attacking threats in our side (Grealish, Abraham, McGinn, El Ghazi) I would definitely fancy us to get through if everyone is fit and on their game. 

We had Grealish at Bramall Lane and they still beat the crap out of us ( yes i know Bruce was in charge ) I don't think they will have any mental hang ups about playing us after they threw it away. Logically, they know they dominated us for most of the game at out own place. They played through us so easily in both games. Could see that happening again 

11 minutes ago, villa89 said:

5 losses in a row for them, they are in free fall.

Yet would have been ahead of us if they had won, with a much easier run in.

9 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

That's crazy.

That trashing they received at Villa Park must have hurt their morale and confidence alot

Just imagine if Hourihane had played and we'd beaten them 7-0.

Their morale and confidence would be completely gone. 

Edited by Delphinho123
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2