18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

41 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I'd rather play Derby 2 times in the play offs

Cant be done, 3rd plays 6th and 4th plays 5th. No way can we finish 3rd or 4th.

If was earlier in the season we would have drawn that game when Blackburn got 1 back. I think we are playing so much more confidently that I dont think anybody will want to play us

Of the teams in the playoffs now we have scored 13 goals in 6 games vs them and we are a lot more solid at the back now

I'm just going to enjoy the ride and not get my hopes up...  Villa have hurt me too many times over the years to get too excited right now.  I'm just going to take it one game at a time and see what happens this season.  No matter what league we end up playing in next fall, it's going to be an exciting summer with a large rebuild.  Smith has us playing some of the most brilliant football we've seen a team in claret & blue play in decades at Villa Park.  Long may it continue.

• Like 2

I think we're currently one of eight teams trying to squeeze into two places. The first thing for us to do will be to reduce that field. 

I think we're going to need something from our final two games against Leeds and Norwich to make the playoffs and I think it'll go down to the wire.

If we're in, then we've got a chance.

It's nice and simple for us at the moment though - beat Wednesday.

• Like 2

To be fair I don't see any of the teams who are probably coming down this year being a worry.  Question is will someone else be a Norwich and come from nowhere next season if we don't go up. 

Key will be keeping as many of these players together if we don't go up. 

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Key will be keeping as many of these players together if we don't go up. 

Which won't happen. Tammy and Jack gone for a start. We need to go up this season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villa89 said:

Which won't happen. Tammy and Jack gone for a start. We need to go up this season.

I think the key is how we replace them. Norwich lost their two best players but were able to cope. 

As long as we have money to spend in the summer I’m confident about next season with or without Jack.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Stratvillan said:

What does wondering achieve? Is that an existential question?

I was curious about your wondering about ‘what if Smith was appointed earlier” and what point it served.

28 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Looking at out last 6 games we’ve won 5 drawn 1 scoring 14 and conceding 3.

No team will want to play us right now.

In theory our current form indicates we will make the playoffs. Unfortunately it can only take an injury to one of our key players, poor refereeing decisions, or a mistake or failure to take a chance against say Bristol City, for that form to be disrupted enough to spoil things, especially given how close many teams are.

As for the playoff games, no matter what our form indicates, I’m an experienced enough Villa fan not to arrogantly believe we’ll win. At the moment we’re are still unlikely to be promoted and that may continue right up to a possible playoff final. Provided our team isn’t disrupted, I’d have more confidence that we can perform better at the final than last year, but I’m nervous just thinking we could get there, let alone win it! I hope Smith and the players have more bottle than me!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, brommy said:

In theory our current form indicates we will make the playoffs. Unfortunately it can only take an injury to one of our key players, poor refereeing decisions, or a mistake or failure to take a chance against say Bristol City, for that form to be disrupted enough to spoil things, especially given how close many teams are.

As for the playoff games, no matter what our form indicates, I’m an experienced enough Villa fan not to arrogantly believe we’ll win. At the moment we’re are still unlikely to be promoted and that may continue right up to a possible playoff final. Provided our team isn’t disrupted, I’d have more confidence that we can perform better at the final than last year, but I’m nervous just thinking we could get there, let alone win it! I hope Smith and the players have more bottle than me!

On current for we walk 5th no worries. It's a huge ask for us to repeat 1 draw and 5 wins out of the next 6 though, but possible, we're getting players back from injury instead of losing them and we're hitting our best from at exactly the right time. We should have been 3-0 up at half time on Saturday and then cruised the second half protecting our players. 

Finishing 5th would mean we in most likelihood get the baggies home and away followed by a Derby/Sheff Utd/Leeds final if we beat them. Finishing 6th would mean Sheff U/Leeds followed by a baggies/Derby final. 

Got to get there first though, which brings us back to is our current form sustainable or not, if not, 6th might be possible with just 72 points, so we could win 3 and draw 3 from 7 if other results go for us. Which would represent quite a big drop off in our form really, or a giant repeated dose of bad luck if we continue to perform so amazingly well. Win the next couple and 6th gets a lot easier too.

4 hours ago, brommy said:

In theory our current form indicates we will make the playoffs. Unfortunately it can only take an injury to one of our key players

We have the best squad in the division. the only way injury will affect us is if it happens to one of the spine. IE grealish Mings McGinn or Abraham. The rest of them are easily interchangeable with whats on the fringes.

Even Abraham and dare I say McGinn you could just throw Kodjia or Hourihane in there and they would do a job.

anyway losing key players again would be incredible bad luck. However I don't go through life thinking about negative things that might happen. **** 'em............. what if you fall down a  man hole and are in a coma for the rest of the season and miss the outcome?  Your mates telling you how they invaded the pitch after the semi final 2nd leg and gave Jack a love bite on his big calves that would be heart breaking............. What if bristol lose Baker or one of their key players? or preston lose on of their villa rejects? is it just as likely?

We've had our share of bad luck before xmas. but we have good karma in the bank for what happened at the sty.

Grealish has learned from terry how to ref the game by getting plugged in touch tight to the refs battio cheeks.

we have got some serious swag now the way we move the ball around the pitch with complete arrogance.

I'm simply salivating thinking of wembley on bank holiday in may basking in the sunshine!

3 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

We have the best squad in the division. the only way injury will affect us is if it happens to one of the spine. IE grealish Mings McGinn or Abraham. The rest of them are easily interchangeable with whats on the fringes.

Even Abraham and dare I say McGinn you could just throw Kodjia or Hourihane in there and they would do a job.

anyway losing key players again would be incredible bad luck. However I don't go through life thinking about negative things that might happen. **** 'em............. what if you fall down a  man hole and are in a coma for the rest of the season and miss the outcome?  Your mates telling you how they invaded the pitch after the semi final 2nd leg and gave Jack a love bite on his big calves that would be heart breaking............. What if bristol lose Baker or one of their key players? or preston lose on of their villa rejects? is it just as likely?

We've had our share of bad luck before xmas. but we have good karma in the bank for what happened at the sty.

Grealish has learned from terry how to ref the game by getting plugged in touch tight to the refs battio cheeks.

we have got some serious swag now the way we move the ball around the pitch with complete arrogance.

I'm simply salivating thinking of wembley on bank holiday in may basking in the sunshine!

I’m not saying we won’t be promoted but no amount of previous form, squad depth, ‘karma’ or confidence will ensure it. If we keep up the hard work, avoid bad luck and don’t get too cocky, we have a chance.

Promotion or not, hasn’t it been fantastic to see Villa playing some great football and clearly be the better team in the match, for a change?!

• Like 2

Just now, brommy said:

If we keep up the hard work, avoid bad luck and don’t get too cocky, we have a chance.

We need the arogance we are blessed with to get there. A big club like Villa should never be humble.

Swagger like cantona. collar up champagne football.          ping it around let the ball do the work.      then these little northern provincial town sides are beaten before then even get on the pitch!

look how wolves did it last year.. those portugease champions league players switching the play with long diagonal balls perfectly into stride...... it was the entitlement that pissed me off

but now it's ours I don't care.

All this talk of who we WANT to play in various legs of the playoffs seems a little premature to me but definitely a luxury we can't entertain...

Beggars can't be choosers. We are still a hell of a long way off securing a Playoff spot so if we even get in I'll be delighted. As for who we play, if we deserve to go up it doesn't matter - at that point the form and how they've played this season will be irrelevant, it'll be who has the greater quality and who holdstheir nerve.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, screwdriver said:

We need the arogance we are blessed with to get there. A big club like Villa should never be humble.

Swagger like cantona. collar up champagne football.          ping it around let the ball do the work.      then these little northern provincial town sides are beaten before then even get on the pitch!

look how wolves did it last year.. those portugease champions league players switching the play with long diagonal balls perfectly into stride...... it was the entitlement that pissed me off

but now it's ours I don't care.

Beautiful.

• Haha 1