18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

If results goes against us we’ll be 1 point to 6th, 2 points to 5th.

So basically its still in our hands, we have to play Bristol, Bristol will play Derby.

We need Derby to lose points as soon as possible as their run is much easier than others.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

Remember those years under MON where we couldn’t buy a win in March? 

Wow, really impressive hitting form now. Should we get in the play offs NO ONE will want to play us! 

We're March-ing on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

So basically its still in our hands, we have to play Bristol, Bristol will play Derby.

We need Derby to lose points as soon as possible as their run is much easier than others.

You’re right. It is now in our hands. I like that.

What we have to do from now is:

Get 1 more point than Boro

Get 2 more points than Derby or 4 more than Bristol (they both have to play each other as well as Bristol having to come to VP)

As well as at the very worst dropping 3/4 more points than Wednesday/Preston/Forest etc.

With us on a 5 game winning streak and taking the above into consideration, we have to be favorites for a playoff position at this point.

It causes me distress that by simple math, without taking into account head to head games.  (That takes more effort than I have time).... because our nearest competition have games in hand....

we could win every remaining match and still finish 7th.  

I’m a tiny bit consoled that we could also lose every match and still finish 5th

1 minute ago, srsmithusa said:

It causes me distress that by simple math, without taking into account head to head games.  (That takes more effort than I have time).... because our nearest competition have games in hand....

I’m a tiny bit consoled that we could also lose every match and still finish 5th

Havent they got to play eachother?

4 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

Well I can take away your distress (and consolation) by telling you that neither of those statements is true 😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

If's and But's (updated)

Doing the business on our side!

Bristol City to lose to Sheff U - Win ❎

Sheff W to draw to Stoke - Draw ✅

Preston to draw to Reading - Lost ✅

Derby to beat Rotherham - Win ✅

Boro to lose to Norwich - Lost ✅

Villa to beat Blackburn - Win ✅

5 - Villa - 60 points

6 - Derby - 59 points

7 - Bristol - 58 points

8 - Boro - 58 points

9 - Forest - 57 points

10 - Preston - 57 points

Games in hand - Boro x 1, Derby x 1 & Bristol x 2

• Like 1

If's and But's

Big week with one game in hand being played out midweek.

Boro to draw to Bristol City 

Forest to beat Rotherham

Preston to lose to Sheff U

Derby to draw to Brentford

Swansea to draw to Boro

Bristol City to beat Wigan

Villa to beat Sheff W

5 - Villa - 63 points

6 - Bristol - 62 points

7 - Forest - 60 points

8 - Boro - 60 points

9 - Derby - 60 points

10 - Preston - 57 points

Games in hand - Derby x 1 & Bristol x 1

• Like 1

1 hour ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Derby have won 2 games in three months. We've alos beaten them 7-0 this season.

I'd like them to get 6th, beat a deflated Sheffield United over two legs, we do our job and surely we've finally good an opposition team we can put in a decent Wembley performance against?!

Edit: Is their run in that easy? Only 3/8 at home and their aways are Brentford, Blackburn, SHA, Bristol City and Swansea. Plenty of points dropped in those games I reckon.

Edited by VillaChris

52 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Nice to see that the top of the league is starting to get a bit stretched.

Would be so good to play Leeds and Norwich with nothing riding on it for them.

Norwich look very comfortable now, it would take a massive collapse for them to not finish top 2. Fair play to them, this season's Cardiff I think as they've kept going when I thought they'd fall away after xmas.

They also have a terrible record in last 10 years at VP so I'd be more confident of 3 points from that one than Leeds away as 2nd could easily go to last day.

52 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

They should get a 10 point reduction for playing the football they do

Another manager that has failed to grasp football has moved on but their egos will never admit they have lost a step. Him, Mon and Bruce should all buy a B&B together and sod off and retire. The bunch of words removed.

1 hour ago, wilko154 said:

If's and But's (updated)

Derby to beat Rotherham - Win ✅

Bit confused here mate, I thought you were doing these permutations with whats best for us.. so why does this get a green tick?

57 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Another manager that has failed to grasp football has moved on but their egos will never admit they have lost a step. Him, Mon and Bruce should all buy a B&B together and sod off and retire. The bunch of words removed.

Now there's a TV show waiting to happen!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Raymond said:

I would have called you crazy if six weeks ago you said Villa would be in the playoff places heading into April. What a run. 

Still not really in the play offs yet till the others play their games in hand.

Shows just how far we have had to come to get back in contention though!

Derby, Preston, Forest, Brentford and Bristol City are perrenial bottlers.

'Boro wouldn't beat Villa whether Grealish is playing or not. Pulis is too defensive and that plays into our hands. 

Sheffield United give us a decent game but they do not have the quality that we have and no way does Billy Sharp score three against us again! 

Albion are our biggest threat to promotion. Although, a baggies-supporting colleague at work reckons they're nowhere near the same team without Harvey Barnes - reckons he was their Grealish and they are nothing without him. However, it would be local pride at stake as well as promotion so playing them would be tough. 

I'd personally like Albion v Boro in the play-offs with Pulis getting one over his old team and us to play Sheffield United in the other. I'd be extremely confident of winning a final vs Boro.