18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

5 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

I think people assuming we're making the Playoffs have got a little carried away, it's still going to be a hell of a fight. I'm just pleased we're still in it.

Correct, The position is still not ours just yet and we still have alot of work to do along with a couple of results going our way would help.

We have to keep our heads down and keep on winning to maintain where we are.

This is not over by long chalk and as nice as it is to be sitting back in the play off zone we cannot get carried aeay just yet.

Let's keep the momentum going and see where we are come game 46.

I don't think people are getting carried away or that its done yet. There is plenty of justification for confiedence though.

I wouldnt say odds are stacked against us at all. We look like we can maintain this run in my opinion.

Our main striker is having a relative lull and we're still scoring goals from everywhere. We're not conceding goals. The goal we have conceded was a fluke. This was supposed to be a nightmare run and its been a dream.

We also know that there's no room for error. Which I think is an advantage sometimes. We've left it late, but not too late IF we maintain this standard. And why shouldn't we? Who is playing better football in this division right now?

Optimistic. I think we'll at least secure a playoff place. We'll see what happens after that.

8 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

I wouldn't say we would have thrown it away if we didn't make the Playoffs from this position now. Whilst it's nice being in 6th spot, it is somewhat of a fake position with a few of our competition still to play 1, or even 2, games. We're still chasing rather than being chased. It's more than feasible we're still 4 points from the playoffs. Obviously rather have the points than the games in hand though but I wouldn't say it's even ours to throw away as it stands.

The mini run has been great but until we're in the top 6 on a level footing with everyone else then I don't think we can really be that upset if we don't make the playoffs. We've done remarkably well to even be in with a shout after two appalling spells this season. I still think the odds are stacked quite heavily against us; this run needs to carry on, we can barely afford to drop any points and we need a few other teams to fall off the pace.

I think people assuming we're making the Playoffs have got a little carried away, it's still going to be a hell of a fight. I'm just pleased we're still in it.

Just to add to this. We're very fortunate that there are two playoff places to fight for. A couple of weeks ago it looked very likely that there would only be one.

As we've beaten several playoff candidates I think we've made that happen ourselves rather been fortunate.

I think we've been desperately unfortunate that we've had to do without our best player for a long spell 2 seasons running. We'd probably have been promoted by now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mazrim said:

I don't think people are getting carried away or that its done yet. There is plenty of justification for confiedence though.

I wouldnt say odds are stacked against us at all. We look like we can maintain this run in my opinion.

Our main striker is having a relative lull and we're still scoring goals from everywhere. We're not conceding goals. The goal we have conceded was a fluke. This was supposed to be a nightmare run and its been a dream.

We also know that there's no room for error. Which I think is an advantage sometimes. We've left it late, but not too late IF we maintain this standard. And why shouldn't we? Who is playing better football in this division right now?

Optimistic. I think we'll at least secure a playoff place. We'll see what happens after that.

Great post.

Just goes to show how far we have yet to go that during the next round of games, if everything goes as we would reasonably want (Bristol and boro both losing and us winning), we would still not definitely be in the top 6; Then we face that difficult trip to Wednesday.

All this with those 2 potentially killer games waiting for us at the end of the season.

Looooong way to go yet!

Edited by Nigel

I would say we are probably where we could best expect us to be given what Bruce left us with and after the ups and mostly downs of the summer - and given how long DS has had with this squad. Regardless of injuries as that is just part of the game. We have a chance now but I am nervous Jack or Mings gets injured and we just lose the edge we've currently got and end up getting draws all the time.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I would say we are probably where we could best expect us to be given what Bruce left us with and after the ups and mostly downs of the summer - and given how long DS has had with this squad. Regardless of injuries as that is just part of the game. We have a chance now but I am nervous Jack or Mings gets injured and we just lose the edge we've currently got and end up getting draws all the time.  

Ever noticed these International Breaks always seem to come when we are about to start a run?

Cue an injury or "knock" to a key player on internationals or them needing a "rest" just to unbalance equilibrium and momentum ffs.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

I bet BMH is a much nicer place to be in at the moment than it recent weeks / months!

irrespective of our league position this has to be a huge positive. it wasnt long ago there were reports of bad eggs in the dressing room, that the players only listen to JT etc. well it doesn't appear that way now...if it was ever remotely true in the first place

we're in a good place for the play-offs. We've been there before last season, and we're picking up a head of steam and have our best player back and new loanees have settled in excellently. With Axel back in contention after the break, we have a strong squad high on confidence.

I also think it's really helpful that our first game back after the break is at Villa Park, little elements like that can help us continue the good form. Had we been away to a top 7 side and just drawn or lost, that might have caused us to stumble. I expect us to beat Blackburn and then that keeps the pressure on the other sides.

There are 2 spots available and you look at the other sides, and I think we have a very good shot of thinking we will take one of them*

* on the assumption our bad luck with critical injuries is over. If we lose a few to long term injuries or have red cards that obviously changes the situation.

• Like 1

Playing very well, can beat anybody when playing like this. 

The only thing that is stopping me from getting too excited at the moment are those games in hand that Middlesbrough, Derby and Bristol have. Once they have been played and we know our position based on those, then I will get excited if we remain in the top 6. 

Looks good though, especially as we were struggling for wins a couple of weeks back. 

39 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Would 5 more wins be enough? (Putting us on 72 points)

4 home wins and at least 1 away win. (Or 3 draws)

Just about I think.

It would help massively if one of those wins was against Bristol City.

Edit - there are only 4 more home games, I hadn’t realised you’d essentially covered that already.

Basically if we beat Bristol City, I think we’ll do it.

Edited by Shropshire Lad
  • Like 1

After the Middlesbrough game Aston Villa have 57 points out of a possible 114. The final projected points total will currently be 69 points that is points after 46 games. Basing this off last seasons final table will put us 9th.

There is still 24 points to play for giving us a maximum potential points haul of 81 points.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since the appointment of Dean Smith the new projected points total would be 70 points that is points after 46 games. That has included of 1.25 PPG from Steve Bruce and the current 1.615PPG from Smith. Using 1.615PPG over the remaining 8 games.

Basing this off last seasons final table will put us 9th

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What a crazy league the Championship is, two weeks ago I thought we were out of contention for the play-off's but then, boom, 4 successive victories and we are now in with a great chance of securing either 5th or 6th place.

I don't want to tempt fate but I really believe that we will get one of the final spots providing we don't lose any of our key players (IE Jack, Mings and McGinn).

I know it has been said on numerous occasions but the loss of Grealish is the reason for me why we are just challenging for play off's as opposed to the automatic places. His return and the signing of Mings has just lifted the whole squad and with the likes of Axel and Lansbury available for selection next game and hopefully Chester before the end of the season, then I think we have one of if not the best squad in the league.

The play-off's are a bit of a lottery and can be decided by the finest margins, but I genuinely feel that we would be the most feared team out of the four teams and I include either Leeds or Sheffield Utd in those thoughts, who would be picking themselves up from missing out on automatics.

On our day we have the talent to beat any side in this division, we just need to keep the run going, the belief going, concentrate on one game at a time and not get carried away, for me I am more worried when we play the "lesser" teams than the so-called bigger clubs where we may be complacent and our recent results seem to reflect this. Blackburn up next and for me this is one of those games but hopefully the International break doesn't affect us too much and we put them to the sword.

As for the run-in, for me, Sheffield Wednesday and Leeds away are the two games where I think we may drop points, but I can see us making VP a fortress and winning our 4 remaining matched there, with a Norwich team already on the beach.

Fingers crossed we are back where we belong next season! UTV! 

• Like 1