18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

5 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Ah c'mon man. We went 2-0 up and looked like scoring more. We dominated the first half and they looked average that day.

We came out in the 2nd half a different team and let ourselves go really and let them back into the game.

When Leeds got it back to 2-2 they smelt blood and we self imploded which seen them take a devastating winning goal in the dying moments -  but they never dominated us for the entire game as you're suggesting.

You want to look at embarrassing gameslook no further than Wigan

1 hour ago, AXD said:

If the league is so poor this year, it does not bode well for the teams going up. Fulham and Cardiff are about to bounce straight back down and they did rather well last year. Wolves bossed it and are doing ok.

I don't think so when you consider how poor the bottom half of the PL is. Cardiff had an average Championship squad and got up with incredible form, management and chemistry. They barely changed that team and are still mixing it up in the PL. Ditto Huddersfield before them. Fulham messed with the chemistry of their team too much but otherwise it's not a gargantuan task to stay up in the PL.

There's really not that big of a gap between positions 10 through 35 in English football as evidenced by the fact that every season, only 1 of the relegated teams are even in the hunt for promotion and sometimes not a single one bounces back the first time (like last season). West Brom are 4th this season but Stoke and Swansea are in midtable. 2 seasons ago us and Norwich finished in midtable etc.

• Like 3

Think 5 more wins will secure things and a very likely meeting with WBA which will be interesting.

This time we're the ones coming massively into form like Fulham were this time last year so that has to be a positive if we can keep the key players fit.

Preston also in great form and I reckon they'll get 6th but will have to then take out either Leeds or Sheffield United.

Think I'll just enjoy the ride this time. Last season was a case of big pressure given what we spent on the squad.

This time I'd like to think there is some sensible fall back plan if we don't make it.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Think 5 more wins will secure things and a very likely meeting with WBA which will be interesting.

This time we're the ones coming massively into form like Fulham were this time last year so that has to be a positive if we can keep the key players fit.

Preston also in great form and I reckon they'll get 6th but will have to then take out either Leeds or Sheffield United.

Think I'll just enjoy the ride this time. Last season was a case of big pressure given what we spent on the squad.

This time I'd like to think there is some sensible fall back plan if we don't make it.

Playing like this we'll trash Brom.

Only top three wouldn't lose at least 2-0 to us playing like that today.

The belief is something else. Forest in great form before we played them. Then they got a freebie 1-0 lead. And we thumped them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I don't think so when you consider how poor the bottom half of the PL is. Cardiff had an average Championship squad and got up with incredible form, management and chemistry. They barely changed that team and are still mixing it up in the PL. Ditto Huddersfield before them. Fulham messed with the chemistry of their team too much but otherwise it's not a gargantuan task to stay up in the PL.

There's really not that big of a gap between positions 10 through 35 in English football as evidenced by the fact that every season, only 1 of the relegated teams are even in the hunt for promotion and sometimes not a single one bounces back the first time (like last season). West Brom are 4th this season but Stoke and Swansea are in midtable. 2 seasons ago us and Norwich finished in midtable etc.

Cardiff are third from bottom, Fulham second and Huddersfield bottom. Fulham and Huddersfield almost certainly going down. Doesn't that rather mess up your argument?

42 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Cardiff are third from bottom, Fulham second and Huddersfield bottom. Fulham and Huddersfield almost certainly going down. Doesn't that rather mess up your argument?

Perhaps, if you completely failed to understand it.

With Fulham I'm obviously implying that they are the exception to the loose rule I was outlying. If you mess too much with your chemistry and just buy a bunch of players it rarely works well, see QPR for a good recent example.

As for Huddersfield, you'll notice I used the words before them which indicates I'm referring to their performance in past seasons. If you recall they managed to stay up last season after following a similar story to Cardiff's current one.

Cardiff are third bottom yes but are just 2 points from safety and 5 points from 14th and 6 from 13th. This is congruent with my use of the phrase mixing it up. 

Last season all 3 promoted teams stayed up, but only 1 relegated team got promoted. The season before that just 1 promoted team got relegated. The recent trend is pretty consistent with the argument I was making the. The PL or at least the bottom half just isn't that good. 

We have and always have had the ability to not just beat but batter any team in the division. Our problem has been consistency and if we go on a crap run now of DDL or something to undo all this good form ill be very disappointed. We need to keep the accelerator down, be scared of no-one and remember if we play the best of our ability I dont think any team can hang with us. 

I think Sheffield need autos. They won't win in the playoffs. They are doing amazing but there's something about that team... Just seems like a huge over achievement this season. Same as Cardiff last year, they were strong but I thought it would be autos or nothing as I didn't think they would win a playoff. Leeds I think could on the other hand, so I'd rather play S. Utd than Leeds in a playoff/final. 

Baggies will be nothing in the playoff. They know we have their number in the big games when the chips are down and will roll over as per. 

Edited by VillaJ100

47 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Super computer has us 5th and a two legged game against West brom. I'd prefer 4th with second leg at villa Park. But if we have a full team and on current form they won't want to play us. 

Related image

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

We have and always have had the ability to not just beat nut batter any team in the division. Our problem has been consistency and if we go on a crap run now of DDL or something to undo all this good form ill be very disappointed. We need to keep the accelerator down, be scared of no-one and remember if we play the best of our ability I d OK nt think any team can hang with us. 

I think Sheffield need autos. They won't win in the playoffs. They are doing amazing but there's something about that team... Just seems like a huge over achievement this season. Same as Cardiff last year, they were strong but I thought it would be autos or nothing as I didn't think they would win a playoff. Leeds I think could on the other hand, so I'd rather play S. Utd than Leeds in a playoff/final. 

Baggies will be nothing in the playoff. They know we have their number in the big games when the chips are down and will roll over as per. 

I am the only curious about our players capable of battering their nuts....

• Haha 1

Only a couple of weeks ago read on here that we would end up nearer the relegation zone and the DS should go.

Now most people are looking at playoffs and Wembley.

In there is a reason why we might fail in that charge, our -THE FANS - expectations. How we react to conceding, to a loss, even to a misplaced pass or two. From the top everyone has said how our support recently has helped, let's not go back to the nervousness, the audible sighing for a misplaced pass, the boo-ing! Together we can do this...

• Like 3

If we do make the playoffs which I think we have a great chance of doing so I would hope Leeds won't also be in the playoffs. 

Had the same feeling about Fulham last season although in saying that I think we're better equipped to deal with Leeds than we were with fulham. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, briny_ear said:

You have to remember teams like Cardiff and especially Huddersfield massively overachieved to get promoted in the first place.

Huddersfield are what fourth biggest team in Yorkshire behind Leeds and the two Sheffield clubs. They are on a par more with Bradford City who are bottom of league one currently so that suggests their level isn't even top half championship.

Cardiff have done really well imo, 28 points and only two behind Burnley who have terrible run in so big chance of staying up. I was expecting them to have a Fulham season tbh.

Only thing that stops me wanting us to go up is the massive squad overhaul needed just at this level. We've seen Fulham flop signing 10-11 players and we'd need to do similar to be competitive at premier league.

In an ideal world I'd rather go up next year as with what's coming down I'd be confident of top 2 but of course that's with McGinn, Grealish and Mings still playing for us and that's very uncertain.

If we do go up at least we'd come back into premier league with a winning mentality (as opposed to the last 4 years when it was a losing mentality) and they'd be a real buzz around VP (could see us shifting 30k season tickets) so I'd reckon that would get us a few wins before xmas at home before reality starts to come in.

Edited by VillaChris

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Only thing that stops me wanting us to go up is the massive squad overhaul needed just at this level. We've seen Fulham flop signing 10-11 players and we'd need to do similar to be competitive at premier league.

In an ideal world I'd rather go up next year as with what's coming down I'd be confident of top 2 but of course that's with McGinn, Grealish and Mings still playing for us and that's very uncertain.

If we do go up at least we'd come back into premier league with a winning mentality (as opposed to the last 4 years when it was a losing mentality) and they'd be a real buzz around VP (could see us shifting 30k season tickets) so I'd reckon that would get us a few wins before xmas at home before reality starts to come in.

I don’t think we would need a massive overhaul. It would a matter of making loans permanent signings (Abraham, mings, hause). With grealish, chester, kalinic and McGinn we have a few others that can compete in the PL. A few wingers would help though.

let’s hope the club doesn’t go on a shopping spree just for the fun of it.