18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

If the others win their games in hand we're still 4 points off the pace. With 8 to play, it's going to be very tough. Play like we have done against Derby and Boro though and we should fear no-one at all. 

I think we will need to win 6/8 now though to get to 75 points. Big ask, but why not we've just won 4 on the bounce and are playing extremely well and should be getting Tuanzebe and a few others back soon. What looked pretty far fetched is looking doable all of a sudden but 6 out of 8 is asking a hell of a lot.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

How are boro in the play off spots? They were awful. 

Everyone will fear us now!

It's an awful league.

The fact that they are in the top 6 tells it all about the level of this league

2 minutes ago, romavillan said:

If the others win their games in hand we're still 4 points off the pace. With 8 to play, it's going to be very tough. Play like we have done against Derby and Boro though and we should fear no-one at all. 

I think we will need to win 6/8 now though to get to 75 points. Big ask, but why not we've just won 4 on the bounce and are playing extremely well and should be getting Tuanzebe and a few others back soon. What looked pretty far fetched is looking doable all of a sudden but 6 out of 8 is asking a hell of a lot.

6th place is after 37 games last season had 61 points. Based on that I think it’s possible around 72 points could do it this year. 

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

It's an awful league.

The standard in this league is so low the 15th placed team is currently 2-0 up against one of the best teams in Europe.

Yeah it’s an awful league.

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

6th place is after 37 games last season had 61 points. Based on that I think it’s possible around 72 points could do it this year. 

You reckon 5/8 will do it then? or 4 wins, 3 draws and a defeat? Maybe if the wins are against our direct rivals. Still tough.

3 minutes ago, romavillan said:

You reckon 5/8 will do it then? or 4 wins, 3 draws and a defeat? Maybe if the wins are against our direct rivals. Still tough.

Do the predictor on Birmingham mail website and se what you get. Both me and my mate who supports Leeds did it. We both had us finishing 6th and Leeds finishing 3rd.

I had us beating Boro, Blackburn, Rotherham, Bolton and Bristol. Draw to shef wed and lose to Norwich Leeds.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

They totally dominated us for the entire game after we were 2-0 up.

The goals were coming it was just a matter of time.

I agree they were the better side, but we weren’t embarrassed. 

38 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Actually it will only be 2 points.

I was mentioning Boro a while ago because when they implode we have a better chance.

If Bristol and Derby won we will be 4 points to Bristol, 2 points to Derby. Which is 6th. Boro will be out of top 6. 

The best scenario is Derby and Bristol lose. Then Bristol draw with Boro. We would be 6th with two points to 5th.

Amazing what a difference a fortnight can make. I believe this was the table before the Derby game -

Norwich Pl 34 Pts 66

Sheffield Utd Pl 34 Pts 64

Leeds Pl 34 Pts 64

West Brom Pl 34 Pts 60

Boro Pl 33 Pts 57

Derby Pl 34 Pts 54

Bristol City Pl 33 Pts 53

Small heath Pl 34 Pts 50

Nott. Forest Pl 34 Pts 50

Preston Pl 34 Pts 47

Hull  Pl 34 Pts 47

Sheff Wed Pl 34 Pts 47

Aston Villa Pl 34 Pts 45

Long way to go yet, but it’s looking so much more positive now.

7 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

These are the last 8 games, and my predictions:

V Blackburn (h) Win

V Sheff Wed (a) Draw

V Rotherham (a) Win

V Bristol (h) Win

V Bolton (a) Win

V Millwall (h) Win

V Leeds (a) Loss

V Norwich (h) Loss

That'd just about be enough, I reckon.

I think if we need something against Norwich, we’ll at least get a point, especially if they’ve already won the league by then.

Edit - looking at their remaining fixtures, I’ll be surprised if they haven’t got the title sewn up by the time we play them.

Edited by Shropshire Lad

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

It's an awful league.

It is poor.

Havent we had two spells of winning 1 in 10 games this season? Hardly promotion form. Its a weak division.

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The standard in this league is so low the 15th placed team is currently 2-0 up against one of the best teams in Europe.

Yeah it’s an awful league.

I think the quality of the teams/clubs set up, stature, personnel wise etc. in this division is high in relative terms.

But a lot are underperforming. Stoke for example. Us even, only winning a third of our games this season is rubbish. Sheff U, Norwich and Leeds are showing how simple this league can be.

If the league is so poor this year, it does not bode well for the teams going up. Fulham and Cardiff are about to bounce straight back down and they did rather well last year. Wolves bossed it and are doing ok.