18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

FWIW, I thought Grealish wasn’t at his best today, he was caught in possession more than I ever recall seeing before. And if this was an off day for him, it was still very very comfortable for the lads. Just like the previous 3 games, we restricted the opposition to very little, while managing to create some clear cut chances ourselves.

What has been positive about the last 2 games especially, is that we have been playing against teams that would try to sit in with men behind the ball and try to frustrate us, but we have still been able to play our game.

I don’t think anyone would have believed this was possible with this run of 4 fixtures on paper.

Boro will be looking over their shoulders, not just at us but also at Preston and Sheff Wed. Even West Brom will be thinking they can be caught the way things are going.

Up next, We have a game that we should go in to confident of winning, Bristol City go to Sheff Utd and Boro play Norwich, and then they play eachother, so points will be dropped, and soon enough we might be in playoff positions, without them having games in hand.

What an incredible league. I don’t know if we will keep this going, but it’s nice to be in contention at least.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, maqroll said:

I've been a Villa fan long enough to know that we lose 3 out of our next 4 games and drop back down to 11th place playing terrible football, just watch.

Not this time mate!

13 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Keep in mind teams around us have a game in hand

Bristol City have two games in hand but it's reaching the point where they are probably going to be affected by fixture congestion.  After the international break they have to play Saturday - Tuesday - Saturday - Tuesday - Saturday against Sheffield United (away) Middlesbrough (away)  Wigan (home) West Brom (home) and Villa (away).  That's a really difficult run of fixtures to squeeze into just two weeks. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

God, won't feel confident in playing Leeds in a potential play off final.

They absolutely embarrassed us at Villa Park. Will never forget that game

The game that they won in injury time? Yeah really embarrassing. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

They totally dominated us for the entire game after we were 2-0 up.

The goals were coming it was just a matter of time.

Remember we had no grealish in that game or Mings 

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Remember we had no grealish in that game or Mings 

That's true i just remember how impressed i were by their display.

Their pressing, their enthusiasm even when 2-0 down. Absolute nightmare team to play against.

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

God, won't feel confident in playing Leeds in a potential play off final.

They absolutely embarrassed us at Villa Park. Will never forget that game

3 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

The game that they won in injury time? Yeah really embarrassing. 

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

They totally dominated us for the entire game after we were 2-0 up.

The goals were coming it was just a matter of time.

Ah c'mon man. We went 2-0 up and looked like scoring more. We dominated the first half and they looked average that day.

We came out in the 2nd half a different team and let ourselves go really and let them back into the game.

When Leeds got it back to 2-2 they smelt blood and we self imploded which seen them take a devastating winning goal in the dying moments -  but they never dominated us for the entire game as you're suggesting.

3 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Not worried about Bristol at all, it's Sheffield Wednesday I'm looking out for. 

Their next seven games will be harder than their last seven I think - Stoke, us, Forest, Leeds, Norwich, Bristol and Preston. Final game is against QPR.

It’s Preston that I’m wondering about. They have Reading next, then admittedly three hard games against Sheff Utd, Leeds, Baggies but end it by playing Ipswich, Wigan, Wednesday and Brentford.

Maybe Preston and Wednesday will cancel each other out.

Just now, Shropshire Lad said:

Their next seven games will be harder than their last seven I think - Stoke, us, Forest, Leeds, Norwich, Bristol and Preston. Final game is against QPR.

It’s Preston that I’m wondering about. They have Reading next, then admittedly three hard games against Sheff Utd, Leeds, Baggies but end it by playing Ipswich, Wigan, Wednesday and Brentford.

Maybe Preston and Wednesday will cancel each other out.

The Preston fans think they robbed those 3 points from SHA (not complaining!). They're on a great run but they're not bulldozing teams and a tough run could probably scupper that. 

One silver lining in Sheffield Wednesday's form is as you say, they have a tough run of fixtures. We all know how Steve Bruce sets out to play against rival teams at the top.