18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

Another little tit bit for those who think the top 2 are doing worse then normal.

Average points of 1st after 21 games is 43 points (43.7 to be exact).

Average for 2nd is 41 points (41.2 to be exact).

Shows that the top 2 are actually on point, and actually ever so slightly higher then average.

The gap between 3rd and 2nd was less last season, 1 point less.

The gap between 7th and 2nd was also 1 point less last season.

The gap between 8th (where you are) and 2nd is 2 points less this season.

But clearly there isnt a whole heap of difference between last season and this.

Quite nice, normally ive given up by now🤣

1 minute ago, Cjay said:

True i certainly havent planned my promotion party.

But history shows its a very difficult task and needs 2ppg minimum which very few sides manage.

Even Wolves barely scraped a 2 point average from now despite how there held up as this awesome team.

Think Bruce naused it up tbh, left a task while not impossible, extremely difficult.

Yep, totally agree with you. Bruce did balls it up for us, playing Jedinak at CB, and Tuanzebe at RB... and getting us a keeper that used Lurpak for gloves. 

My post wasn’t a reply to yours by the way, it just happened to come straight after it :) 

• Like 1

The more I think about it the more I think it is all coming together nicely for us to make a real run on the top 2 in the second half of the season.

We are playing the best football in the division, unbeaten in six, we either score 2,3,4,5 goals or create enough great chances to score 4 or 5 goals a game and we now have teams fearing us and negating their own attacking intent to set up to try to stop us. Throw it all together and confidence is sky high in the dressing room and a squad as good as ours playing with confidence going into every game with nothing in their minds but winning is going to take some stopping. That squad, where it is weak, will be strengthened in January.

You can add another advantage we have over clubs and that is our support. No other club, bar maybe Leeds, has the potential for 40k+ supporters at home games all straining at the leash and foaming at the mouth desperate to see our club back at the top table. Of those 7 sides above us we still have to play 6 of them at home.

I am in no doubt under Smith that we are going to have a right good go at catching the top 2 and by reaching for the stars we will at least make the moon and the play offs and the way we play you'd have to fancy us in them.

It is going to be a hell of a ride. Bring it on.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 4

Gotta remember one thing, this team will give it a go in the play-off final and not just go out to stop (or try to) the opposition from playing. 

I still believe that top two is possible but, if we fall short, I guarantee this team will be in the play-offs and nobody else scares me so bring it on if it happens. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

The more I think about it the more I think it is all coming together nicely for us to make a real run on the top 2 in the second half of the season.

We are playing the best football in the division, unbeaten in six, we either score 2,3,4,5 goals or create enough great changes to score 4 or 5 goals a game and we now have teams fearing us and negating their own attacking intent to set up to try to stop us. Throw it all together and confidence is sky high in the dressing room and a squad as good as ours playing with confidence going into every game with nothing in their minds but winning is going to take some stopping. That squad, where it is weak, will be strengthened in January.

You can add another advantage we have over clubs and that is our support. No other club, bar maybe Leeds, has the potential for 40k+ supporters at home games all straining at the leash and foaming at the mouth desperate to see our club back at the top table. Of those 7 sides above us we still have to play 6 of them at home.

I am in no doubt under Smith that we are going to have a right good go at catching the top 2 and by reaching for the stars we will at least make the moon and the play offs and the way we play you'd have to fancy us in them.

It is going to be a hell of a ride. Bring it on.

Good post. After Leeds game I think we can achieve 7 wins out of 7. The fixtures are a lot kinder. Similar to what we did last season. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Still have my doubts on Leeds. They always start well every season and then crumble in the second half of the season

Spot the difference.

Steve Evans

Gary Monk

Paul Heckingbottom

Marcelo Bielsa. 

😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, hooter said:

Spot the difference.

Steve Evans

Gary Monk

Paul Heckingbottom

Marcelo Bielsa. 

😉

You look good but I hope we smash you in two weeks. We need to continue making a statement. 

Its Xmas weekend and will be a full house at Villa park. We’re going to tear you a new one mate. 

Edit: Shame it’s not sat evening game. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You look good but I hope we smash you in two weeks. We need to continue making a statement. 

Its Xmas weekend and will be a full house at Villa park. We’re going to tear you a new one mate. 

Edit: Shame it’s not sat evening game. 

We'll see. I'm taking my 88 year old mother-in-law out for a Christmas meal after the match, if what you predict comes to pass I'll be on suicide watch by 8pm...🙄

This Bielsa chap is quite good mind, despite never having managed either Walsall or Brentford, don't be surprised if we hold our own for 15 or 20 minutes at least....😎

Sat evening would ordinarily have been good, but move worked for many this time as Josh Warrington's world title defence is on sat night in Manchester.

Edited by hooter

2 minutes ago, hooter said:

We'll see. I'm taking my 88 year old mother-in-law out for a Christmas meal after the match, if what you predict comes to pass I'll be on suicide watch by 8pm...🙄

This Bielsa chap is quite good mind, even despite never having managed either Walsall or Brentford, don't be surprised if we hold our own for 15 or 20 minutes at least....😎

We’ve all gotta start somewhere mate. He’s about 20 years older than Smith and he started off managing NOB’s! 

Let’s see Smiths cv after he has been around that long.

I do think you’ll win the league though. We’ll finish second. 

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

We’ve all gotta start somewhere mate. He’s about 20 years older than Smith and he started off managing NOB’s! 

Let’s see Smiths cv after he has been around that long.

I do think you’ll win the league though. We’ll finish second. 

I'd take that all day long and resume hostilities where both clubs belong.

I think you'll end up in, and probably win, the play offs, but if you can sort your defence out, maybe not. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hooter said:

I'd take that all day long and resume hostilities where both clubs belong.

I think you'll end up in, and probably win, the play offs, but if you can sort your defence out, maybe not. 

New keeper will be a game changer. Whilst those that defend him will point out he is not to blame for all goals we concede, I don’t think you can underestimate how much a nervous wreck of a keeper will impact a defence. I can’t wait until we’ve sorted that area out. 

Good luck for the rest of the season mate. 

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

I know but what would be 12 bloody points under Smith...

Well not really because one was a cup game ;)

i know It’s frustrating but Bruce did bring in Abraham, Mcginn, Bolasie, Axel and El Ghazi.  Yes he hung around too long but as an attacking threat he has left a hell of a team. So Bruce’s summer reign of terror was not all bad. 

Theres plenty of time to turn it around. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

**** Bruce - He's gone. We knew and seen the damage that was done by him.

Dean Smith is so far salvaging something spectacular out of the last idiot's wreck!

We don't need to batten down any hatches - more like everyone in this league needs to watch their arses now. We're back and everyone knows it.

:flag:

• Like 1