18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

I see Leeds more likely to slip off than Norwich. Leeds aren't blowing teams away, they get away with narrow victories most of the time

Do i think we will catch them? No, but they are the most realistic to catch of the 2

Aside from the fact we battered Norwich, at there ground, have lost less games, have a better defence, have taken more points off teams in the top half, have kept pace with them despite an injury crisis that started at the beginning of September?

😕

Not having Bielsa being easier to catch then a team managed by Wagner lite!!!!!

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Just heard that in the last 10 years the team top after 21 games has got promoted...

I think we all deep down have accepted the fact taht Norwich will go up. Still unsure about Leeds though.

Leeds have been down here since the early 2000's and they are always up there every season but they tend to fall in the 2nd half of the season. 

Let's see if Leeds have learned from their mistakes in past seasons and have what it takes.

14 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I think we all deep down have accepted the fact taht Norwich will go up. Still unsure about Leeds though.

Accepted that they’re promoted? Not us catching them..accept that they’re going to be promoted? Speak for yourself mate. I haven’t accepted it. Deep down or otherwise.

They’re in the best position, and as such they’re favourites. But accepting they’re going to be promoted? In December?

Are there any other teams above us who should accept that Norwich are going to be promoted? Derby? Sheff Utd? Both six points behind Norwich, should they accept it and give up on catching them over the remaining twenty five games?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Londonastonvilla said:

I think having 8 genuine promotion contenders  means on a given weekend they can't all lose if we win.

That means making up 5,6 or more points is going to difficult.

Well, if in the net couple of weeks we put Forest behind us, then Boro after that etc. etc.

Long way to go and we do, all of a sudden, look like a proper football team that can beat anyone in this league.

40 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Have any of those 10 teams ever had Dean Smith's Aston Villa chasing them? 😉

....you do realise the gap to the top six in terms of points has shrunk very little ....whilst we have been chasing them ?

to close the gap we need back to back wins...at the mo ..its win/draw.

5 minutes ago, hippo said:

....you do realise the gap to the top six in terms of points has shrunk very little ....whilst we have been chasing them ?

Every top 6 side should be forced to have Bruce managing them for 10 games. We're gonna have to clone 5 of him obviously to even it out.

• Haha 3

Let's face it, in a difficult run of the last 5 games we should have taken all 15 points, against decent sides. If we can keep up our form and it's not just a purple patch (I've seen nothing to suggest that it is), take another 10+ points from our next 5 games (Stoke H Leeds H Swansea A Preston A QPR H) and strengthen in January (which we inevitably will), the following 4 games are Wigan, Hull, Ipswich and Reading, all of whom have lost 10 games already this season. Everything could look very different by the start of February. For now we might as well take it a game at a time starting with Stoke, who are on a decent run themselves but are no Derby/Boro/WBA.

Edited by kieranavfc

A 10 point gap is really hard to close at the top end of the Championship as we have all seen. But a 4 point one not so much. I think we have a reasonable chance of hitting the playoffs and a very slim chance of top two.

I can see one of Naaarwich or Leeds messing up and swapping places with Derby in the playoffs by end of season as well.

5 minutes ago, hippo said:

You being serious?

Have you not taken into consideration the level of opposition? The fact we have not lost loads of ground in the spell is miraculous.

The gap will be closed when the roles are reversed.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

A 10 point gap is really hard to close at the top end of the Championship as we have all seen. But a 4 point one not so much. I think we have a reasonable chance of hitting the playoffs and a very slim chance of top two.

If we beat Leeds twice then that 10 point gap becomes 4. 😉

40 minutes ago, hippo said:

Uh, we won 3 in a row before drawing then winning again. 4 wins out of 6 is not win/draw. It's win/win/draw.

2.33 ppg which if kept up for the rest of the season would put us on 90 points. I imagine that would be enough for top 2.

• Like 1