18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Win every game from now and until the end of the season and we finish on 135.

That must be enough for a promotion. 

On a serious note. Anyone know the record for championship points?

Reading picked up 106 points in 2006. I think that’s the championship record, but whether that record includes the years for the old division one/division two (depending how you remember the good old days), I’m not sure.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Junxs said:

If we are doing a side by side comparison to last season it's worth remembering we only picked up 11 points from our last 10 games after thrashing wolves. 

We only finished 7 points (83) off autos (90 points) however this season I don't think it would require as many as 90 to finish 2nd

Think it was 14 points from the last 10 games (wins against Reading, Cardiff, Leeds and Ipswich plus draws against Hull & Derby).

But it’s still a very good point you make, dropping over half the remaining points on offer at such a crucial stage knackered any chance of automatic promotion.

5 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Think it was 14 points from the last 10 games (wins against Reading, Cardiff, Leeds and Ipswich plus draws against Hull & Derby).

But it’s still a very good point you make, dropping over half the remaining points on offer at such a crucial stage knackered any chance of automatic promotion.

Sorry yes, you are correct. Its awkward reading results from Villas website as they keep flipping the result for home and away fixtures so you have to double check each result!

Still 14 points from 10 games isnt great and it was the exact same as the start this season. The difference will be in the away games I feel as the mentality for those is completely different

3 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

People focusing on top 2, we can finish 6th and still be promoted so an average of 2 points per game until end of season should absolutely guarantee a playoff spot at the least. 

Well thats just it, 2 ppg from here gets us to 82 points with 29 games to go. Turn just 2 of those draws into wins and 86 may well be enough for autos this season.

This season so far no one is averaging 2ppg, not even Norwich on top of the league. They would have been 4th this time last season with Wolves, Cardiff and Sheffield United all averaging more than 2ppg. Its really there for the taking as no one seems to want to run away with it this season. 

It will take far less than 2ppg for just 6th 

Well, clearly the team should be aiming for the top, until it's mathematically impossible that's exactly what they should be doing.

However, from the outside, if we can get automatic from where we were when Smith came in then it would be unbelievable, a monumental achievement. Everyone was very impressed with Fulham last year, we'd have to do better than that. We haven't gone a run of form yet, and we're going to need a couple of long winning runs to even get close.  

8 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Well, clearly the team should be aiming for the top, until it's mathematically impossible that's exactly what they should be doing.

However, from the outside, if we can get automatic from where we were when Smith came in then it would be unbelievable, a monumental achievement. Everyone was very impressed with Fulham last year, we'd have to do better than that. We haven't gone a run of form yet, and we're going to need a couple of long winning runs to even get close.  

I don't necessarily agree with this. There are no runaway teams this year when compared with last year. We're 9 points off the top at the moment. Fulham were 18 points off after 17 games. If we match Fulham then we will be, wait for it, there or thereabouts.

Having said this, I've just noticed we were 9 points off top this time last year!?‍♂️

1 good game doesn't suddenly make us into title contenders.

It's so typical of fans to be deluded after a single game. Our defence seriously lack in depth and i can't see us being anywhere near the top 2 in the coming months.

Edited by villalad21

34 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

1 good game doesn't suddenly make us into title contenders.

It's so typical of fans to be deluded after a single game. Our defence seriously lack in depth and i can't see us being anywhere near the top 2 in the coming months.

Yeah, I'd expect us to address the back 4 in Jan though. True though before we start expecting anything might be best to be doing it after a good run, rather than a few excellent performances...

7 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

We should absolutely be focusing on top 2, the play offs should be a safety net if we fall short.

Under Bruce I don’t think he ever had that mentality or instilled that mentality in the players, it felt like play offs were the aim and I think that impacted on our mentality at times.

Bruce was scared of expectation, he down played it when Terry said we had the best squad and should be going for the title.

So as poor as our start was the target still should be the top 2.

Not disputing that but we have to account for what has become a poor/average first quarter/third of the season, we are in recovery mode now until the end of the season unless we go on a Fulham-esque run (which I believe we are capable of doing but lots of variables between now and May). 

All I'm saying is we could still finish 6th and get promoted, it doesnt have to be top two. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Not disputing that but we have to account for what has become a poor/average first quarter/third of the season, we are in recovery mode now until the end of the season unless we go on a Fulham-esque run (which I believe we are capable of doing but lots of variables between now and May). 

All I'm saying is we could still finish 6th and get promoted, it doesnt have to be top two. 

Yes agreed with all that but in terms of an aim it should still be the top 2. 

3 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

What was Fulham's run like? All I can remember was it was their best run in the history of the club.

Their run was mental.  Once they turned the corner in gameweek 18, they averaged 2.34 PPG and got 68pts from the remaining 29 games.  That compared to the 1.18 PPG they were on to that point.

• Like 3