18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

It's interesting looking at the league table after 17 games this season and comparing it to last seasons table. Last season at this point Norwich's 33 points after 17 games would only have been enough to see them sit in 4th place. The league appears to be much tighter this season so yes we may be 9 points behind them but if we can muster some sort of a run between now and Christmas we could well fly up the table....fingers crossed!

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Nigel said:

How do our points tally differ between this year and last?

We have a similar points total to last season at the same stage. If we hadn't capitulated after wolves at the backend of the campaign, we would have been challenging for automatic promotion. This gives me hope that a top 2 finish isn't out of the question. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

I agree I would rather see a team like Norwich or sheff united win it than boro if it wasn't us. 

It just shows what a fatal error it was keeping bruce. Who knows where we might be now had smith been here? Although the other way to look at it is would we have had Abraham and bolaise here if smith was here?

I doubt it. Bruce built a great squad just didn't know how to use them.

Three shit goalkeepers, one left back and two centre backs. Great squad? I don't think so.

• Like 1

Just now, Demitri_C said:

ok what about the other  15 players ??

Some very, very good players. He had an eye for talent, no doubts. But it's an unbalanced, top heavy squad with an abundance of riches in some areas and scraping the barrel in others. 

24 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

We have a similar points total to last season at the same stage. If we hadn't capitulated after wolves at the backend of the campaign, we would have been challenging for automatic promotion. This gives me hope that a top 2 finish isn't out of the question. 

I wouldn't expect it. It's Dean Smiths first season with no signings yet. I think it's expected to see some inconsistency.

2 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

Some very, very good players. He had an eye for talent, no doubts. But it's an unbalanced, top heavy squad with an abundance of riches in some areas and scraping the barrel in others. 

I would say Bruce built a good squad just left us light in defence (unorganised with the Bryan rej3cting us situation). Mcginn fir example looks like one of the biggest bargains in many, many years .

Amazing that we are so close to the race given our horrible start, 3 wins in 5 certainly has made a difference.

We’ve a tough run ahead but if we approach it as we did Derby County then I can see us winning a fair few games.

if we can be in the mix going into the New Year then we couldn’t ask more and could really make a charge.

Norwich currently look like the best side but as Leeds found out things can change quickly.

• Like 2

The tough run is a good thing as. We will play a lot of teams who are in the mix. 

We have to best them to go up anyway so let's get to it.  A great chance to accelerate up the league with a lot of 6 pointer games. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, sidcow said:

The tough run is a good thing as. We will play a lot of teams who are in the mix. 

We have to best them to go up anyway so let's get to it.  A great chance to accelerate up the league with a lot of 6 pointer games. 

Think Forest will be a draw, they're tough to beat under Karanka predictably.

Can see us losing at Boro as they'll bombard Nyland with crosses but our record up there is very good so maybe sneak a point.

Got a feeling we'll beat WBA, were good yesterday but inconsistent.

4 points from Leeds and Stoke home games.

Even 8 points from those games will be pretty decent providing we beat SHA of course. 40 points by NYD should be the target anyway.

49 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Amazing that we are so close to the race given our horrible start, 3 wins in 5 certainly has made a difference.

We’ve a tough run ahead but if we approach it as we did Derby County then I can see us winning a fair few games.

if we can be in the mix going into the New Year then we couldn’t ask more and could really make a charge.

Norwich currently look like the best side but as Leeds found out things can change quickly.

They do but I think we went there and were in complete control until 2 injuries and the game changed on its head. Smith messed up with his substitutes ( which he held his hands up for at the end of the game).

Still for all their possession they scored due to a keeper error and a defensive lapse.

I don’t think they’ll stay up there. But then I said that about Cardiff...

I think the part that encourages me that regardless of the opposition we wont be playing for draws. Yes we wont win all the time but its better to try than not

Other managers would have went to Derby to play for a draw

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nigel said:

How do our points tally differ between this year and last?

After 17 games last season we had 29 points so we're 5 short at this point this season. Interestingly we are 9 points off top now which is the same amount of points as we were away from Wolves after 17 matches.

22 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Dem you need to understand a great squad is when you have strength in every position. We have some great players. Not a great squad. 

I think had bruce not let elphick go we may have been ok at cb. Rb we have enough cover for now (debatable whether they are good enough) lb is a problem and the keeper has looked gash. 

Midfield and up top we have brilliant options. I think the squad has excellent depth barring the defence

Edited by Demitri_C

14 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think had bruce not let elphick go we may have been ok at cb. Rb we have enough cover for now (debatable whether they are good enough) lb is a problem and the keeper has looked gash. 

Midfield and up top we have brilliant options. I think the squad has excellent depth barring the defence

So it’s not a great squad is it mate? Sort out keeper, centre half and left back situation and then you can say we have a great squad. 

We should have 1 quality player and 1 adequate player for every position. Then it’s s strong squad.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

And you don't think we were inconsistent last season?! 

We wouldnt have been challenging if we were inconsistent;  There is a difference between that and a few bouts of poor form.