18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

My fears for next season.

18a006376a07fa3ca199ce85dfb0c3bc.png

There's even a question mark over Chester, if a Premier League side have any sense.

Just now, BOF said:

There's even a question mark over Chester, if a Premier League side have any sense.

And Hutton's contact is up

Hutton can go, too old, along with all the other 30+ players.

We may as well just give up if we sell Grealish and Chester, they’re absolutely essential if we actually want to get promotion anytime soon.

20 minutes ago, BOF said:

I don't think we'll have to sell both Grealish AND Hourihane. Selling either one should free up a lot of money.

Hutton I think would accept a wage cut just to stay with us, as he will not get a PL club coming for him. Maybe Rangers if they were to come for him.

Terry replaced by Elphick and Johnstone by Steer/Gollini would keep our defence rather stable. Time for Bree to get more game time.

13 minutes ago, AXD said:

I don't think we'll have to sell both Grealish AND Hourihane. Selling either one should free up a lot of money.

It's not so much the financial need with those 2.  I just think they'll be hard to hold on to.  Hourihane is a prolific centre mid, and the Premier League likes those.  Grealish is obviously a one-off and he'll have a lot of interest.  We may have to dig our heels in at some point if we want to keep either of them.

I'm baffled by the amount of negativity and fear concerning the future. Losing the final was obviously a huge blow, but it's not the end of the world. It'll most likely mean a new approach is needed, which I for one am quite looking forward to. It is the dawn of a new and exciting era in our proud history. We might be down here for a few years, or we might go up unbeaten in 46 games next season, it's anybody's guess.

Fwiw I'm not at all concerned about losing the loanees, or Terry for that matter. We already have too many old farts in our current setup. We still have some great players, some really exciting U23 players, and we don't yet know what will happen with the likes of Grealish. There'll certainly be offers coming in, but a new manager, with new, fresh ideas might just be able to persuade him to give us another year.

I just hope the club would inform us sooner rather than later...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vreitti said:

I'm baffled by the amount of negativity and fear concerning the future. Losing the final was obviously a huge blow, but it's not the end of the world. It'll most likely mean a new approach is needed, which I for one am quite looking forward to. It is the dawn of a new and exciting era in our proud history. We might be down here for a few years, or we might go up unbeaten in 46 games next season, it's anybody's guess.

I'd love to have your optimism, but all I could think of when reading the above was ...

post-64231-this-is-fine-dog-fire-comic-I

45 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Fwiw I'm not at all concerned about losing the loanees, or Terry for that matter. We already have too many old farts in our current setup. We still have some great players, some really exciting U23 players, and we don't yet know what will happen with the likes of Grealish. There'll certainly be offers coming in, but a new manager, with new, fresh ideas might just be able to persuade him to give us another year.

I pretty much said the same on another forum.

2 hours ago, vreitti said:

Mate let me clear it up for you. The squad was very strong this year and we didn't go up. The squad in my opinion will nowhere near be as strong to go up. Finding a keeper better than Johnstone a cb better than terry. A midfielder potentially better than grealish. This with little to know money.

The one goid thing i would say is maybe having lower expectations might be better for us long term so there is not as much pressure on our players

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Mate let me clear it up for you. The squad was very strong this year and we didn't go up. The squad in my opinion will nowhere near be as strong to go up. Finding a keeper better than Johnstone a cb better than terry. A midfielder potentially better than grealish. This with little to know money.

The one goid thing i would say is maybe having lower expectations might be better for us long term so there is not as much pressure on our players

Mate let me now clear it up for you. We know absolutely nothing about how the team will look come august. Let's just stay positive for now, at least until there is valid reason not to. 

Edited by vreitti
  • Like 2

There’s obvious big wage players we could try to shift to balance the books.

Snodgrass loan wages, Terry will go, Hogan, McCormack, El Mohamady, Hutton, Samba, Taylor, Jedinak.

I think we’ll be seeing a lot more of Bree, Green, Davis and more youth players in starting roles next season.

If we can manage to keep Grealish, Kodjia, Hourihane and Chester together there’s a promotion in there somewhere.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, a m ole said:

There’s obvious big wage players we could try to shift to balance the books.

Snodgrass loan wages, Terry will go, Hogan, McCormack, El Mohamady, Hutton, Samba, Taylor, Jedinak.

I think we’ll be seeing a lot more of Bree, Green, Davis and more youth players in starting roles next season.

If we can manage to keep Grealish, Kodjia, Hourihane and Chester together there’s a promotion in there somewhere.

Yes, for three of the opposition teams :D

Only kidding, I think holding on to our key players - Grealish, Chester and might as well say Hourihane too - is crucial. We'll need a stronger focus on youth rather than Bruce's old/experienced approach, which if nothing else will be a financially nonviable option next season, and that will require a change in management to go with it, I reckon.

Edited by fightoffyour

1 hour ago, vreitti said:

Mate let me now clear it up for you. We know absolutely nothing about how the team will look come august. Let's just stay positive for now, at least until there is valid reason not to. 

You're right that we don't know what the team will look like come August.  But what we do know right now is that it will have been put together with less money.  You say you're baffled by all the worry.  The worry is finance-related.  Next season it will be more difficult to do what we did this season, because we won't have the same resources to do it with.  That's not saying it's impossible.  Of course it's not.  But it will be harder, and that's what we're worried about.

Regarding what the squad will look like, the positive I can take if we stick with Bruce is that his transfer dealings at the cheaper end of the market have been better than the few pricier ones he’s made.

We still need Chester, Hourihane and Grealish here.

2 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Regarding what the squad will look like, the positive I can take if we stick with Bruce is that his transfer dealings at the cheaper end of the market have been better than the few pricier ones he’s made.

We still need Chester, Hourihane and Grealish here.

Chester and Grealish definately - I don’t see hourihane as being anywhere near as vital as those two though 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eastie said:

Chester and Grealish definately - I don’t see hourihane as being anywhere near as vital as those two though 

He’s definitely the third out of those three. I think Jack’s game benefits with Hourihane alongside him.

• Like 1

A crumb of hope? 

We are about £20m worse off next season given that's roughly the drop in parachute payments, Recon recently "purchased" the naming rights to Bodymore Heath, Wyness has said we would be hurt financially but able to cope, I believe he knows what he's talking about.

We all feel crap right now, the London media would like nothing more than to see us implode. We're an easy target.

Tony Xia is no fool, he has the money to support us and whilst I suspect we will have a cheaper squad/first team next season, I don't for one minute believe he doesn't have a contingency plan.

Let's try and keep the faith and avoid the panic button until we really need it.

Edited by Darth Villa

8 minutes ago, Darth Villa said:

A crumb of hope? 

We are about £20m worse off next season given that's roughly the drop in parachute payments, Recon recently "purchased" the naming rights to Bodymore Heath, Wyness has said we would be hurt financially but able to cope, I believe he knows what he's talking about.

We all feel crap right now, the London media would like nothing more than to see us implode. We're an easy target.

Tony Xia is no fool, he has the money to support us and whilst I suspect we will have a cheaper squad/first team next season, I don't for one minute believe he doesn't have a contingency plan.

Let's try and keep the faith and avoid the panic button until we really need it.

Doesn’t the amavi or veretout fee come into this years accounts too?

• Like 2