18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

So Smith has picked up 9 points from his first 5 games, considering 3 of those games were away thats a fantastic return. A win against Blues and its the kind of form if replicated until the end of the season will get us into the autos.

2 hours ago, Junxs said:

So Smith has picked up 9 points from his first 5 games, considering 3 of those games were away thats a fantastic return. A win against Blues and its the kind of form if replicated until the end of the season will get us into the autos.

I only worry about our defense. Yeah it's alright on paper, but we are only 1 or 2 injuries away from a crisis at the back.

5 hours ago, Junxs said:

Unfortunately I don't think it will, a win at blues puts us at 2ppg under Smith.

But we're already 10 points behind the 2ppg usually needed for autos, which means we need 10 wins and 2ppg from the other remaining 19 games, or 2.35ppg it's an almighty ask. 

I know that no one's really pulling away this year, but as long as we are outside the top 2 we are at the mercy of the form of those above us.

Not saying it isn't possible but just wanted to add some perspective to how well we'd need to perform.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I only worry about our defense. Yeah it's alright on paper, but we are only 1 or 2 injuries away from a crisis at the back.

True, but they are improving and we will invest in January. I was where you are until the Bolton game, but after that and today l'm much less concerned than I was.

3 hours ago, jjaacckk91 said:

Unfortunately I don't think it will, a win at blues puts us at 2ppg under Smith.

But we're already 10 points behind the 2ppg usually needed for autos, which means we need 10 wins and 2ppg from the other remaining 19 games, or 2.35ppg it's an almighty ask. 

I know that no one's really pulling away this year, but as long as we are outside the top 2 we are at the mercy of the form of those above us.

Not saying it isn't possible but just wanted to add some perspective to how well we'd need to perform.

Normally I'd agree here but you do have to remember that the magic 2 points per game is an average, and this is a below average year in the league.

Not one team has the expected points thus the points totals could be a lot  lower this year.

If we continue to play like yesterday there's no doubting automatic promotion is achievable. All we need to do is stay within 6 or 7 points of second place until January when we can ease our defensive fears and we'll be right on track. 

We were all fearing our December fixtures but winning them will put dents in our promotion rivals' campaign so just need to stay positive now. 

Read the Derby fans' forum to see what they think of our chances!

Edited by villarocker

3 hours ago, jjaacckk91 said:

You’re right. We’d need run of 5,6 back to back wins to have any chance. 

If can push in to the play offs and then invest  in January we could really mount a challenge. 

After 24 games last season we were 8th, 9 points off 2nd place and Bruce was close to the sack. We then went on a run of 7 wins in a row and at one point automatic promotion became in our hands with us 2nd after 31 games. 

Wolves were still at that point 12 points ahead which who’s it was pretty much only one automatic spot last season. 

We’re 7 points off 2nd. With two spaces up for grabs so much could still happen. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Woah!! Just seen the Leeds score they got torn apart.

This league is really open.  I do think boro will be champs. Been saying it for a while.

It’s mental. We’ve seen Villa, Albion Leeds. and Derby all be spanked at some points. 

Boro would never get spanked but they are the anti football of this league. So boring to watch. Pulis is like a Steve Bruce on steroids. 

If Boro win this league it will be a sad advert for football when it seems to have moved on so much. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lerner's Driver said:

True, but they are improving and we will invest in January. I was where you are until the Bolton game, but after that and today l'm much less concerned than I was.

Yep, but it's just so early yet. If we lose to Scum, you'll be back.

37 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Woah!! Just seen the Leeds score they got torn apart.

This league is really open.  I do think boro will be champs. Been saying it for a while.

You been using the sky super computer?

25 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

Yep, but it's just so early yet. If we lose to Scum, you'll be back.

Not at all. I'm sold, there's no turning back on this and no need to. Any kind of loss (even to them), can be absorbed, if lessons are learned and we stick to the game plan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It’s mental. We’ve seen Villa, Albion Leeds. and Derby all be spanked at some points. 

Boro would never get spanked but they are the anti football of this league. So boring to watch. Pulis is like a Steve Bruce on steroids. 

If Boro win this league it will be a sad advert for football when it seems to have moved on so much. 

I agree I would rather see a team like Norwich or sheff united win it than boro if it wasn't us. 

It just shows what a fatal error it was keeping bruce. Who knows where we might be now had smith been here? Although the other way to look at it is would we have had Abraham and bolaise here if smith was here?

I doubt it. Bruce built a great squad just didn't know how to use them.