18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

On 25/10/2018 at 11:42, hippo said:

Yes but it is our inability to win back to back games that put us 16th in the table. 

I can't really see any consistency coming whilst we have such a poor keeper - I think winning most of our home games is the best you can hope for. Unless Nylan suddenly finds his feet. 

Its our inability to win games.

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

was written off when Bruce stayed on

Yep. We discussed this on the train last night with some villa fans. You can't blame the new owners for this as the takeover took so long and getting rid of bruce at that point would have been a mess if we thought of it logically.

Bruce was backed but we can now honestly say he did a absolutely dreadful job this summer with the signing of this crap keeper and diabolical defence.  

We could still do it. The lack of winning consistency across the league means that ground can be made up quickly if you can hit a sustained win streak.

We’ll probably lose quite a few games between now and January, but we’ll win enough to keep us just about close enough to catch teams in the lower play off spots IF we can put a good run together post Jan. 

1 hour ago, romavillan said:

How far off were Fulham when they clicked last year?

Last season after 15 games Fulham had 19 points and they were in 16th place.....

After 25 games they were 12th on 36 points

And started to surge up the table after that because after 35 games they were one point behind Villa on 62 points in 4th place

Of course they finish 3rd as we know.

Edited by MarkLillis
memory loss
  • Like 1

The problem with next season if Newcastle come down they will walk the league they always do. 

Its getting harder and harder each year for us. But I think we need a plan and appointing smith is a long term project. I believe he will get it right once he can get a dec3nt keeper in as well as some defenders

We haven't got the ability to go away and grind out 1-0s like we did last season, think of a game like Forest away in January when we scored early and soaked up the pressure comfortably. Sheffield United another, were battered for most of the game and nicked the winner in the last minute. This season we lose there 4-1.

Unless we suddenly rediscover that we aren't finishing in the top 6 and it's very unlikely to start until January as we will have someone dodgy in goal and a mediocre back 4.