18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

20 hours ago, turvontour said:

We can only go 5th, 6th or 7th on Tuesday. 

7th would mean that results had gone against us.

It would mean the result that matters most (our own) had gone for us. ;) It's a bit early to worry about other teams results for me. Let's put a good unbeaten run together and let other teams start worrying about us.

• Like 2

well that was sadly a bit familiar, but I guess that's to be expected.

Lots of work to be done and I think top 2 will be beyond us once again simply because of the state we are in.

we look absolutely terrible on the flanks with Taylor and Hutton as stand out bottom performers today.

Adomah was also poor with Elmo being the least bad but still not good enough to play RW.

It's not going to happen this season, it may only be an 8 point gap but we are 2-3 months away from producing anywhere near the performances Smith want's us to produce.

It's becoming evident that we haven't spent a lot of money on quality Championship standard players, we've overpaid on some very average (some very poor) Championship standard players. It's the result of buying a first team with no plan on how to utilise them.

Long way to go, yet. At some point we will ‘click’. If we can be in the top 6 come New Year’s Day lets see.... 

we are lucky it’s only 8 points but the defence is what I think will cost us if we can’t make it to the top 6 this year.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wilko154 said:

It's not going to happen this season, it may only be an 8 point gap but we are 2-3 months away from producing anywhere near the performances Smith want's us to produce.

It's becoming evident that we haven't spent a lot of money on quality Championship standard players, we've overpaid on some very average (some very poor) Championship standard players. It's the result of buying a first team with no plan on how to utilise them.

If we keep this 8 points gap till January then we would have a chance.

Teams are dropping a lot of points so hopefully any good run will see us with them.

If we had a chance in January, hopefully we could get couple of players that would help us.

Dean, JT and RO'K know the scale of the task and will need time to turn HMS Aston Villa around. This was always unlikely to be a quick fix. We need to somehow stay within reach of the top six until January when we should be able to bring in a couple of reinforcements. We can then hope to kick on and finish up somewhere in the top six. It's not over yet and promotion remains a target for us. It may prove to be a rocky journey but don't stop believing! ;)

7 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

If we keep this 8 points gap till January then we would have a chance.

Teams are dropping a lot of points so hopefully any good run will see us with them.

If we had a chance in January, hopefully we could get couple of players that would help us.

I expect the gap to increase when you look at our December fixtures. There is even a possibility the blosers will finish above us as it stands.

It's a new era at villa. It will take time. I think long term though the club will definitely be run properly after years of shambles.

• Like 1

I think if we can keep in touch with the top 6 by January, we can push for the playoffs. Automatic is gone IMO.

There are several teams that are better than us this season, more so than last season IMO.

• Like 2

T

8 minutes ago, jim said:

I think if we can keep in touch with the top 6 by January, we can push for the playoffs. Automatic is gone IMO.

There are several teams that are better than us this season, more so than last season IMO.

This is my take on it too. Just way too much work to do to get automatic, and we aren’t good enough. Come January, if we are around the top 6, i’ll take that all day long. Things need to improve a bit though, because we are too weak at the moment.