18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

Because even with being completely hamstrung by Bruce after 10 games we are still 4 points ahead of them. 

Without Bruce we would probably be 14 points ahead of them. 

I doubt that very much. 

Plus their fans are probably saying the same thing about Rowett.

1 hour ago, av1 said:

Disagree mate. This league is rubbish, if we act soon, and back the new guy in January there is no reason we can't finish in the top 2. 

Though every day Bruce is here those chances decrease 

Whilst I want Bruce gone. Who on earth is this new guy going to be that will take us from a mid table team to top 2 contenders? 

37 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Whilst I want Bruce gone. Who on earth is this new guy going to be that will take us from a mid table team to top 2 contenders? 

We are 6 points off the top, and it's my belief that a half decent manager would have picked up at least 4/5 points on Bruces return so far. 

When you look at it like at it doesn't look half as bad. We aren't a mid team, we just have an utterly awful manager. 

4 minutes ago, av1 said:

We are 6 points off the top, and it's my belief that a half decent manager would have picked up at least 4/5 points on Bruces return so far. 

When you look at it like at it doesn't look half as bad. We aren't a mid team, we just have an utterly awful manager. 

I keep hearing this but I don’t think there are that many half decent managers out there that could handle the pressure at Villa. I also don’t believe Bruce is making us worse as a team then basically any other other manager in the world like many see to believe.

We get this next appointment wrong we could be in trouble. 

Be careful what you wish for, that’s all I’m saying.

10 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I keep hearing this but I don’t think there are that many half decent managers out there that could handle the pressure at Villa. I also don’t believe Bruce is making us worse as a team then basically any other other manager in the world like many see to believe.

We get this next appointment wrong we could be in trouble. 

Be careful what you wish for, that’s all I’m saying.

That's where we fundamentally disagree then mate. This team is much weaker than the sum of its parts. 

21 minutes ago, av1 said:

That's where we fundamentally disagree then mate. This team is much weaker than the sum of its parts. 

Fair enough mate. I just have this dreaded feeling that we could sack Bruce and not get better or some how get worse.

Similar to how we got worse under Garde after Sherwood was sacked. 

But the club does need to act and take that chance as Bruce is done.

• Like 2

I feel like we're only 1 confidence boosting win away from a little run which could put us right back up there. And Preston are the perfect side to play at this time. I'm happy to hold on till the end of October and see where we are. 

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

No hope in hell we will get top two now. We needed a gpod start before the dreaded december games. We are only one pkace ahead of a poor blose team.

That shows how absymal job bruce is doing

We won’t get top 2 with Bruce, that is quite simple. But with the right appointment we could. We’ve still got all the top teams to play, so if we beat them, we close on them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hornso said:

image.png.02c91800caab72a966d212f5936f843c.png

Approaching 16/17 levels of bad.

And we haven't played any of the teams likely to get promoted yet either. In fact, our start has been relatively easy on paper. 

Only two teams have ever been promoted from the Championship after being outside the top 6 at this stage. One of them was Fulham last year and they went on a run we could only dream of and yet still needed to win the play offs to go up.

We are only just on the top 16 never mind the top 6. Bruce has been promoted 4 times himself so he knows a thing or two about what's required but is failing miserably.

Nobody coming in will get this club promoted. Not after this start. We are 9 places behind the top 6 and it doesn't matter how few points we are away as all 14 clubs above us can point to that. 

2 hours ago, One For The Road said:

And we haven't played any of the teams likely to get promoted yet either. In fact, our start has been relatively easy on paper. 

Only two teams have ever been promoted from the Championship after being outside the top 6 at this stage. One of them was Fulham last year and they went on a run we could only dream of and yet still needed to win the play offs to go up.

We are only just on the top 16 never mind the top 6. Bruce has been promoted 4 times himself so he knows a thing or two about what's required but is failing miserably.

Nobody coming in will get this club promoted. Not after this start. We are 9 places behind the top 6 and it doesn't matter how few points we are away as all 14 clubs above us can point to that. 

I’d say the league is the shittest since we’ve been down here. There are no stand out teams, no one is going to pull away like Wolves or Newcastle the previous couple of years. We’d have every chance of going up still, once we get someone new in 

2 hours ago, One For The Road said:

Ouch.  That's a bad fact.

3 hours ago, One For The Road said:

Whilst we’d all rather be less than 13 places and 6 points (or 5 and GD) from the top two at this stage of the season, I”d take 6 points and 13 places above less places but more points. That’s not a defence of Bruce, just that with 36 games to go, 6 points and 13 places is easier to make up than, for example, 10 points but ‘only’ half a dozen places.

I think Bruce, and therefore Villa whilst he’s still here, have been fortunate that there isn’t a ‘runaway two’ in the league, yet!

On 30/09/2018 at 10:39, sidcow said:

Because even with being completely hamstrung by Bruce after 10 games we are still 4 points ahead of them. 

Without Bruce we would probably be 14 points ahead of them. 

Amazingly Stoke have a shitter manager than us in Rowett

42 minutes ago, brommy said:

Whilst we’d all rather be less than 13 places and 6 points (or 5 and GD) from the top two at this stage of the season, I”d take 6 points and 13 places above less places but more points. That’s not a defence of Bruce, just that with 36 games to go, 6 points and 13 places is easier to make up than, for example, 10 points but ‘only’ half a dozen places.

I don't agree. The more teams between you and the top 6 means you have to outperform more teams in order to reach your goal.

I'd rather be a few more points adrift but only 2 or 3 places behind as if we went on a run we could potentially catch a few sides but it's harder with more teams between you as some of them will also go on a run. 

Either way, it doesn't make a difference because as I said pre-season and all the way through to now, we aren't going to be in the top 6 come May. 

I'm not even convinced of top half.

Edited by One For The Road
  • Thanks 1

At this stage of the season if you win 3 to 4 games in a row then you will rocket up the table. Forget how many teams are ahead of you. Especially this season where everyone is taking points off each other. 

Just now, One For The Road said:

I don't agree. The more teams between you and the top 6 means you have to outperform more teams in order to reach your goal.

I'd rather be a few more points adrift but only 2 or 3 places behind as if we went on a run we could potentially catch a few sides but it's harder with more teams. 

Either way, it doesn't make a difference because as I said pre-season admin all the way through to now, we aren't going to be in the top 6 come May.

I'm not even convinced of top half.

In regards to the points versus positions debate, I definitely don’t agree with you. Taking the issue to it’s extreme, with one game to go, would you rather be just one place but 4 points outside of promotion or a couple of places and 2 points behind? Conversely, supposing the league had been even more evenly spread than it is at the moment, I would take being 24th after 10 games if we were only 3 points from the top!  Yes there are lots of teams above us but with only 6 points to make up over the next 36 games, it’s easier than making up more points but less places. It’s simple maths - you can gain plenty of places with a win, but you can never gain more than 3 points!

I suspect I do agree with you that promotion is unlikely with the current situation. However, given the correct changes made sooner rather than later, a 6 point deficit is closable over 30+ games, no matter how many league places that happens to be.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, brommy said:

In regards to the points versus positions debate, I definitely don’t agree with you. Taking the issue to it’s extreme, with one game to go, would you rather be just one place but 4 points outside of promotion or a couple of places and 2 points behind? Conversely, supposing the league had been even more evenly spread than it is at the moment, I would take being 24th after 10 games if we were only 3 points from the top!  Yes there are lots of teams above us but with only 6 points to make up over the next 36 games, it’s easier than making up more points but less places. 

I know what you are saying but you can't use the "4 points behind with one game to go" argument because my point is about leapfrogging teams over a season. Obviously you can't go above a team who are 1 place above you if they are 4 points clear. 

My point is, being behind so many teams means that the likelihood of, say, 2 or 3 of those teams going on a great run is quite high so even if we DID go on a run ourselves it is more likely to be in vain. 

If you are only behind a few teams however, and you go on a great run, you will have a better chance of catching them.

But as I say, none of this is relevant given our defence, our manager and our inability to spend in January to fix the other two.

Edited by One For The Road
  • Thanks 1