18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

12 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Indeed. But that’s not weak for a Championship squad. Other than rare exceptions a good first Eleven is par for the course.

There are other teams with a better all round back 5, but that’s it. Nobody comes near us for our squad of 25 players.In my view - despite sone people thinking it’s factually wrong (!?).

All boils down to opinions of the players and for me Stoke and Albion have stronger squads.

I would like to believe that a lot of our players, particularly defenders are better than their current form suggests and a new manager will get more out of them. 

My worry is that it’s not as simple as that. 

• Like 1

On 24/09/2018 at 04:37, Keyblade said:

We are very strong in every single position bar center back. That's a strong squad to me. 

You think we are "very strong" in the goalkeeper position????

Oh my word.

I've been watching the Villa since 1988 and I am certain that we are weaker in that position now, than we have been at any other point in the last 30 years. 

You not only think we have a very strong goalkeeper but you clearly think we have good back up goalkeepers too.

I have to say, that is just bonkers. We haven't got a "very strong" 'keeper at the club. Not one.

And it's a HUGE problem.

• Like 2

On 24/09/2018 at 09:23, One For The Road said:

Oh my word.

I've been watching the Villa since 1988 and I am certain that we are weaker in that position now, than we have been at any other point in the last 30 years. 

You not only think we have a very strong goalkeeper but you clearly think we have good back up goalkeepers too.

I have to say, that is just bonkers. We haven't got a "very strong" 'keeper at the club. Not one.

And it's a HUGE problem.

It's a problem that Bruce is at fault for creating, and one that doesn't rectify when he leaves.

On 24/09/2018 at 08:35, Vive_La_Villa said:

All boils down to opinions of the players and for me Stoke and Albion have stronger squads.

What on earth makes you think Stoke have a stronger squad than us? 

For those criticising our defence, it's worth noting the current leaders have a sole clean sheet to their name.

That's where we're going wrong. West Brom have hidden their defensive shortcomings by going on the attack and getting the most out of likes of Gayle, Barnes and Phillips.

We bring pressue on ourselves by adopting a defensive mindset which means players like Abraham and Grealish are isolated in the final third.

One reason WBA are top and we're bottom half.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, sidcow said:

What on earth makes you think Stoke have a stronger squad than us? 

Are you serious? Just take a look at some of their players. Butland, Shawcross, Williams, joe Allen, Bojan, Woods, ince, Fletcher, Afobe.

What on earth makes you think we have a stronger squad than Stoke?

On 24/09/2018 at 09:23, One For The Road said:

Oh my word.

You think?...

070102-022-Villa-Chelsea.jpg

58 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

You think?...

070102-022-Villa-Chelsea.jpg

Yes I do. Because he was a back up goalkeeper and not our first choice. We had Thomas Sorensen and Stuart Taylor at the club at the time.

We have nobody close to either in the squad now and even then I'd say Kiraly was better than our current 'keepers.

Edited by One For The Road

We have been a shambles since being relegated. No discernible style of play, and never threatening automatic promotion. 

West Brom sit top of the league. I don’t recall us being top at any point in the last 2 and a bit seasons, and only briefly flirting with second. 

Bruce needs to go now to prevent from prolonging this lunacy. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

We have been a shambles since being relegated. No discernible style of play, and never threatening automatic promotion. 

West Brom sit top of the league. I don’t recall us being top at any point in the last 2 and a bit seasons, and only briefly flirting with second. 

Bruce needs to go now to prevent from prolonging this lunacy. 

This extremely 'hard' job of bouncing back straight away is being made to look pretty easy by Darren Moore of all people. We need a bright young manager with ideas, one who knows how football should be played and understands the value of tactics and having a 'philosophy'. 

It's infuriating to watch days go by and this **** clown remain in a job, he's a poor manager with a manipulative personality.

• Like 1

I think we, and Bruce inparticularly, are very forunate that no team or set of teams have started the season really well.

It would have been interesting to see if Bruce was still around if the top two or top six had gained 5 or 6 more points than they have. Thus seeing us four wins adrift in September. 

9 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Are you serious? Just take a look at some of their players. Butland, Shawcross, Williams, joe Allen, Bojan, Woods, ince, Fletcher, Afobe.

What on earth makes you think we have a stronger squad than Stoke?

Because even with being completely hamstrung by Bruce after 10 games we are still 4 points ahead of them. 

Without Bruce we would probably be 14 points ahead of them. 

Best we can hope for now is playoffs. Last season proved if you have a bad run the teams at the top pull too far away to catch up with. Need a change now before we're stuck in this league next season too.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

No hope in hell we will get top two now. We needed a gpod start before the dreaded december games. We are only one pkace ahead of a poor blose team.

That shows how absymal job bruce is doing

Disagree mate. This league is rubbish, if we act soon, and back the new guy in January there is no reason we can't finish in the top 2. 

Though every day Bruce is here those chances decrease 

Problem with automatic is that the expected top teams in West Brom and Leeds are already up there (along with some other expected promotion candidates.)

You'll have to be consistently crap to not be in reach of the Play Off spots because let's face it the league is pretty evenly crap. 

But we need to start picking up 3 points on the regular to not lose sight of the top 2.