18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

15 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Bit premature this mate. The club is finished. We have zero money. We are more likely to turn into the new Forest and be in this shit heap for 20 years than win automatics next season. 

Finished lol

Absolutely clueless. Majority of "fans" on here don't seem to have a clue what they are on about, so fickle. Embarrassing. 

• Like 3

As it stands I really can't be arsed to watch this bullshit team in this shite **** division anymore. I'll come around, but it's fair to say I'm fed up of football right now, especially when it involves us, we've degenerated into a shambolic team with no bottle, incredibly frustrating. I guess to quote the great Paul Lambert, "we go again".

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Can we have a manager who tries to win games, instead of being overly cautious and then panics when it fails? It might work for short bursts (defend well and capitalise) but over the course of a season we need more.

That's the key to promotion.

Tough to post much in this thread until we have a good idea of what our first 11 will be and that might not be until the first week of August.

If we can make some good signings we should be in mix for top 6.

Difficult to see us fighting as hard for second as we did this season though.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Tough to post much in this thread until we have a good idea of what our first 11 will be and that might not be until the first week of August.

If we can make some good signings we should be in mix for top 6.

Difficult to see us fighting as hard for second as we did this season though.

Can't see us being anywhere near top two next year as it stands. If it was this current villa team maybe. But we all know half the first team today (maybe more) wont be here next year.

I expect us to cash in on grealish around the 30m mark and that will help around ffp

I would love nothing more than to be proved wrong, trust me. I'm 29. The last time Villa delivered for me was the 1996 cup final. I went to wembley in 2000, 2010, and watched on TV in 2015 and today in 2018. We've won **** all since 1996 and that's about 15 years too long for a club like us. 

The facts are we've splurged a shit load of money on 'experienced' players in an attempt to get back to the big league ASAP. We haven't done that, and we now have to pay the price for it. The price is we have one of the best grounds in the country, yet no players and no money to get better players. Our finances are shagged and despite having an apparently wealthy owner he can't spend any on the club due to the stupid losses we've made partially due to our big gamble to get back to the big time. We haven't. We're in the small time and it's probably going to stay that way for a long while. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, daggy_333 said:

Club is finished? Behave.

We've been in lower divisions than this before. Our stay in the Championship is just being extended longer than we would like.

Yeah in like **** 1878. The game has changed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaJ100 said:

I would love nothing more than to be proved wrong, trust me. I'm 29. The last time Villa delivered for me was the 1996 cup final. I went to wembley in 2000, 2010, and watched on TV in 2015 and today in 2018. We've won **** all since 1996 and that's about 15 years too long for a club like us. 

The facts are we've splurged a shit load of money on 'experienced' players in an attempt to get back to the big league ASAP. We haven't done that, and we now have to pay the price for it. The price is we have one of the best grounds in the country, yet no players and no money to get better players. Our finances are shagged and despite having an apparently wealthy owner he can't spend any on the club due to the stupid losses we've made partially due to our big gamble to get back to the big time. We haven't. We're in the small time and it's probably going to stay that way for a long while. 

Well that is not quite right. Most of the experienced players bar Terry PL wages have actually not cost that much. We spunked the best part of £20 million on Gollini, Tishbola and Mccormark before Bruce came in- which in hindsight was quite an incredible waste of money. But I agree with the basic fact that the money has gone we are are up sh*t creek without a paddle. 

All this talk of yeah lets build slowly with less money and we will be fine reminds me of the early Lambert reign- which did not exactly work out. 

In recent years at Villa we either overspend and underachieve or underspend and  get relegated.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

Well that is not quite right. Most of the experienced players bar Terry PL wages have actually not cost that much. We spunked the best part of £20 million on Gollini, Tishbola and Mccormark before Bruce came in- which in hindsight was quite an incredible waste of money. But I agree with the basic fact that the money has gone we are are up sh*t creek without a paddle. 

All this talk of yeah lets build slowly with less money and we will be fine reminds me of the early Lambert reign- which did not exactly work out. 

In recent years at Villa we either overspend and underachieve or underspend and  get relegated.

His general point though is somewhere along the way we've lost the ability to win big games or even attempt to play well in big games. If you want to achieve nowadays you need a manager and players capable of this.

We had a go this season but fell short on two counts.

Getting promoted from this league isn't just going to be handed to us as we've found out.

We went down the experience route and that fell down  against a hungry team who could play football.

Fulham were a mess when they came down from the prem in 2014 but they gradually rebuilt and now have a club who will have a decent season I reckon. We've tried the quick fix. It's failed. We have little option now but to think more long term.

5 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Honestly not sure how to express myself, so **** everything and everybody.

I've been in Qatar for 20 years or more supporting Villa, and accidentally met a couple of other fans today due to the gravity of the match.

I'm accustomed to supporting Villa alone since i've been here on my own mostly as life is just life.

However, spending the evening with the Villa fans I never knew existed tonight and seeing how **** hurt they were broke me. (Thought it was only me, I thought it only affected me like this)

I genuinely don't think the average person knows how much Aston Villa means to some people.

I'm sometimes embarrassed to tell people I have never been to VP due to judgement but not many know my story, when, where, and why i love this club so much.

Tonight was more hurt and disappointment, than anger.

Man i'm desolate.

Anyone can look at my Villa Talk profile history and see how long i've been here, and finding Villa Talk in the first place obviously means i bleed Villa prior to Villa talk.

I need to have a sleep and sober up but god knows.

Our next move better be our best move ffs.

Otherwise we are all stuck here.

We will always be Villa fans, but it pains me to think a new generation of people will arise thinking Villa is a Championship club ffs.

In pain

Written from the heart mate - top post !

• Thanks 1

I can't see us challenging next year. The amount of work needed is incredible.

We will use youngsters and loans to fill the gaps and I can see it taking a good 2-5 years before we do. This was the chance and they blew it.

Adios snodgrass you blew it  a chance to stay here permanently now you return to a club that dont want you and you are in limbo. Terry and Johnstone will be massive losses as you will see next season.

We need so many players and not allowed to spend big. Ffp is a **** joke.

Looking forward to August already. Regardless of finances we will still be a big draw for players this year. Yes we need rebuilding but there is no reason we cannot be competitive. 

Stoke, Swansea, West Brom, Boro - all may be solid but none of them inspire any fear. The relegated sides may struggle like we did last year too. 

We will lose Grealish and a few others  it we can sign new players, play the younger players, Bree Davis etc we will still be up there. A great chance to rebuild a more permanent side to develop rather than all eggs in the old person basket. Think a new manager may be best for this kind of task, mind but either way, we'll be more resilient for this and hey, we still get to look forward to being competitive in a season. 

It is going to be a really interesting summer ahead.

• Like 2