18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

11 hours ago, villa4europe said:

completely agree, we've bought far too many players at the height of their potential with no or very little resale value and worst of all probably not good enough for the PL anyway

the model should be youngsters who will get better after we've bought them and hopefully develop in to PL players, if we dont go up and are forced to sell we sell them to PL clubs for silly money meaning we can reinvest 

might as well even call it the james maddison model

we need 3 or 4 of him this summer

Or “Money Ball”

There is still a lot of football left to play this season.

But we have created a situation where we have to play like champions to get 6th place :(

Whilst I wont rule  out a change in form when our injury's start to clear up. I am now more interested in seeing some evidence of a more long term plan.

I think this will Saturday will be interesting at Stoke  because we go in without Jack Grealish or John McGinn.

I wonder what the plan is?

On 18/02/2019 at 09:07, Demitri_C said:

Another pathetic season wasted. 

Dunno, I've seen the best, most exciting football I've seen from Villa in over 20 years. It's exactly what I thought we'd be doing while down in this crap division.

If we see more of it I'll probably enjoy the end of the season quite a bit.

• Like 1

On 17/02/2019 at 19:58, villa4europe said:

if smith by miracle dragged us in to the PL this season we would be playing in the championship in 2020/21

Poppycock! We would be seeing amazing wonderball after Smity has had a preseason and all his own players capable of playing his Hi-Tec brand of football.

We’d boss the Premier League!

4 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

It is if you then sell them on. Which is exactly the premise behind what Paddy O’Reilly was doing. 

Nope! 

Stats stats stats!! 

Bringing in undervalued players that score highly in certain areas of the pitch - for example, crosses/passing/shooting/tackling... and selling players that are overvalued! 

Edited by Tayls

13 hours ago, Tayls said:

Nope! 

Stats stats stats!! 

Bringing in undervalued players that score highly in certain areas of the pitch - for example, crosses/passing/shooting/tackling... and selling players that are overvalued! 

So what Paddy O’Reilly was doing, thank you! 

49 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I'm not going to lie it's frustrating watching West brom do so well in their first season compared to how we did in our first year. 

Different scenarios though. They havent had to build a new squad or even get a new manager

They also had a good end to last season

23 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Different scenarios though. They havent had to build a new squad or even get a new manager

They also had a good end to last season

They're also much more used to being relegated and getting back out of the championship.

I'm sure if we went up this year (lol) and then got relegated again in a year or two we'd be much better equipped to bounce straight back.

Years of being run as a premier league team (badly) takes a lot of adjusting when you go down.

Stoke are doing very similarly to how we were doing

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I'm not going to lie it's frustrating watching West brom do so well in their first season compared to how we did in our first year. 

They recruited well and we..... Well I'm not allowed to put into words what we did....

They also retained their manager.

Edited by Villan_of_oz