18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

8 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

You're right. We need to go up this season and it should still be our target.

We don't 'need' to go up as in 'promotion or bust' - it would be obviously nice and helpful - and  of course it is our target.

We only need to scrape 6th place to be in with a chance...it's hardly Mt. Everest is it? I think it's entirely likely we will manage that over the rest of the season. After a bad result and performance against Wigan it is tempting to think that this is how we will play for the rest of the season, but I would bet that come the end of the season the Wigan game will comfortably be our worst performance of the year. It certainly seems like a blip rather than status quo based on all of Smiths games to date. If Smith can find some form and keep pace with the rest of the top 6 for the next month then the eventual return of Grealish and Axel will give us a massive boost at a key point for the run in.

• Like 1

It's not as if we have a core squad of players who we are building a long term squad around.

It's a season by season constant rebuild.

Promotion will mean a total rebuild, no promotion will also mean a total rebuild.

Kalinic, McGinn, Grealish, that's the core as it looks now. Our around 30 y.o players are struggling this season and are unlikely to improve the next one.

Keeping Grealish another season in the Championship is doubtful.

While rebuilding in the PL will cost a lot more and be against much tougher opposition, we will at least have money and the opportunity for our new owners to show their true mark.

Doing it in the Championship with little money is a much less desirable prospect IMO. we've not laid any foundation during our time in the Championship.

Thanks to Xia, Wyness, Round, RDM and Bruce for that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, sne said:

It's not as if we have a core squad of players who we are building a long term squad around.

It's a season by season constant rebuild.

Promotion will mean a total rebuild, no promotion will also mean a total rebuild.

Kalinic, McGinn, Grealish, that's the core as it looks now. Our around 30 y.o players are struggling this season and are unlikely to improve the next one.

Keeping Grealish another season in the Championship is doubtful.

While rebuilding in the PL will cost a lot more and be against much tougher opposition, we will at least have money and the opportunity for our new owners to show their true mark.

Doing it in the Championship with little money is a much less desirable prospect IMO. we've not laid any foundation during our time in the Championship.

Thanks to Xia, Wyness, Round, RDM and Bruce for that.

Spot on sir.

Just watching pukki for Norwich.....free tansfer from Brondby.

55 in 130 games....28.... free transfer.....are we asleep?

I know you need a bit of luck, but Brondby are not strangers to us...i.e Kent Nielsen.

Are our scouts awake.

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

I know you need a bit of luck, but Brondby are not strangers to us...i.e Kent Nielsen.

Are our scouts awake.

Earning a quarter of what Scott Hogan earns 😀

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

No photo description available.

This image form 10 years ago shows both how far we have fallen, and also why we need to be patient and stop freaking the f*ck out.

Look at Leicester and Bournemouth?

Both teams which never had the resources we did/do.

Resources are a big advantage.....prudent decisions are even bigger.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

Are our scouts awake.

well I be worried signing him as he only hit double figures twice ever in a 12 year career and in last 2 seasons in a poorer league. Paid off for Norwich but not a sure fire hit since he already failed in UK. Remember Helenius had a good record in Denmark

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

This image form 10 years ago shows both how far we have fallen, and also why we need to be patient and stop freaking the f*ck out.

It’s not looking good for spurs....

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

well I be worried signing him as he only hit double figures twice ever in a 12 year career and in last 2 seasons in a poorer league. Paid off for Norwich but not a sure fire hit since he already failed in UK. Remember Helenius had a good record in Denmark

He was pants.

NICKLAS+HELENIUS10.png

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Yeah, i get that....form can be misleading.

just watching his anticipation, decision making and movement.....he does look like a player, where its not surprising he scores goals.

2014- 10

2015 -  13

2016- 27

2017-19

2018-16 so far in the championship

not bad for a free transfer @ 28 don't you think?

bit of a pattern i would say.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Just looking at that 4 teams from league 1 and 2 are now in the premier league with one more in Leeds likley to be there next year

59 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

It’s not looking good for spurs....

I believe they had 2 points from 8 games before the manager change but the manager would be too humble to tell you that all the time 

I don't see much hope in us going up this season because of our awful defending. Any promotion side or good team in general have a solid defense as a foundation.

I actually don't think our defense is bad at all, i think it's ok. I just think DS is an awful defensive coach.