18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

1 hour ago, John said:

Promoted teams don't lose 3-0 at Wigan. What happened to the team that outplayed Derby, Boro and Albion away? 

Five points off sixth place still, but it might as well be fifty the way we are playing! One win from our last six league games. That's nearer relegation than promotion form. We have spurned a great opportunity in recent weeks to make a run for the play off places if not the automatic spots. Desperately disappointing stuff isn't it? :(

John, a feature of our game for some time now, has been a struggle when we are up against teams who are in our face or prepared to work harder.

I know one thing, until that changes we are going nowhere.

The Blues game will tell you everything about our team.....such is the topsy turvy nature of how we play.....we are brittle.

• Like 1

On 07/01/2019 at 23:17, TRO said:

I go by what i see during the game...not whats on paper....there are many tell tale signs imo that indicate the weaknesses and the strengths.

as a team ( reasons to one side) we concede the initiative far too easily in a game to EXPECT 3 points.

If we continue as we do with the performances we have dished up we soon won't be in the promotion race.....a single point per game is no good.

we are expecting to make signings to improve the situation.

I will wait and see who comes in and what affect they make, before my mood changes.

I can say the same for myself for the most part, although am admittedly reliant on reporting when I do miss a game (like Wigan).

Math doesn't have to be done on paper, one can quite clearly observe one team having the lion's share of opportunity and possession, just like one can observe the concession of initiative.

I must admit that I'm not as confident about the team achieving promotion now as I was a month ago and as I said earlier in another post, the hurdles and challenges of a promotion push will be ever present throughout the season, and won't just be defined by one very tough run of fixtures. As you say promotion will be a consequence of winning.

8 hours ago, A'Villan said:

I can say the same for myself for the most part, although am admittedly reliant on reporting when I do miss a game (like Wigan).

Math doesn't have to be done on paper, one can quite clearly observe one team having the lion's share of opportunity and possession, just like one can observe the concession of initiative.

I must admit that I'm not as confident about the team achieving promotion now as I was a month ago and as I said earlier in another post, the hurdles and challenges of a promotion push will be ever present throughout the season, and won't just be defined by one very tough run of fixtures. As you say promotion will be a consequence of winning.

The paradox is.....we play better against the better sides......this has been in evidence for such a long time.

any team that gets about us and in our faces, we capitulate, if they challenge us for energy and workrate, we run away.

We have no stomach for the fight, there is a group that shun physical involvement .....its not just the wigan game, its there in the ok games, just not as bad as yesterday.

I'm tempted to say its mental thing.....but to be honest, i have no idea what it is.....but i can see it in every game.

on this form....its relegation we should be concerned with.

The low levels of performance we allow ourselves to dip to,are a major concern.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

Looking at the league table for the premier league. It looks like huddesfield Cardiff and fulham could be the sides coming down. (I think Newcastle will stay up).Have to say though none of those three send chills down my spine of we don't go up this year.  Fulham I think will have a major rebuild to do. They spent 100m in the summer and not many of those players will want to stick around in the championship. 

On 13/01/2019 at 12:04, TRO said:

The paradox is.....we play better against the better sides......this has been in evidence for such a long time.

We do and I think some of this comes down to how these teams approach us. Albion will see it as a big 3 points in the promotion race if they beat us. Wigan will see it as the result of their season. We couldn’t match that desire. 

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

We do and I think some of this comes down to how these teams approach us. Albion will see it as a big 3 points in the promotion race if they beat us. Wigan will see it as the result of their season. We couldn’t match that desire. 

I think you are bang on.

but if we can't match that desire, i can tell you here and now, we are going nowhere.

We have to find players who can raise the bar in that area.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think MON will thrive in this league. He has made a career as a manager by getting the most out of average players. Think Warnock.

They will prob make playoffs

Couldnt get much out of an average Ireland team, couldnt even get 3 passes out of them

On 13/01/2019 at 12:04, TRO said:

That has recently become untrue.  At least from a results perspective.  Playing better in terms of style remains open to opinion.  We average 1.33 points per game against the top half of the league (4 wins 4 draws 4 defeats) and 1.47 against the bottom half (5 wins 7 draws 3 defeats).

2 hours ago, BOF said:

That has recently become untrue.  At least from a results perspective.  Playing better in terms of style remains open to opinion.  We average 1.33 points per game against the top half of the league (4 wins 4 draws 4 defeats) and 1.47 against the bottom half (5 wins 7 draws 3 defeats).

Maybe, I didn't explain my point well.......I was more referring to the last few games and most of the cup games, where we draw lower league teams i.e  Doncaster, Bradford etc. and fail to represent the club we are.

It just seems we struggle against any team that decides they are up for it.. our motivation (imo) is questionable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BOF said:

That’s because teams that were below us when we play them keep leaping above us :)

• Haha 1

It simply baffles me why people are writing off this season.

"The future belongs for those who prepare for it today" - Malcolm X

There's work to be done right now, not only when Dean Smith has his own team or a fresh season.

The owners plans will undoubtedly be with the focus of gaining promotion, as soon as possible.

We have every chance to get it right, why prolong the duration of a goal coming to fruition? Orgasm is the only time this would be desirable that I can think of.

Anything lost can be found again except for time wasted. Okay I lied, you can't regain your virginity once it's lost either.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

There's work to be done right now, not only when Dean Smith has his own team or a fresh season.

The owners plans will undoubtedly be with the focus of gaining promotion, as soon as possible.

You're right. We need to go up this season and it should still be our target.

• Like 1