18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

We were much stronger as a team last season. Not great to watch, but we knew if we went 1.0 up, we could grind it out, even if we weren’t playing well. Bruce completely lost the plot in the end , but we started to play some great stuff under Smith. That’s gone now, and we seem weaker than we ever did last season. 

• Like 2

I just don't know where we go from here. I didn't see a performance as poor as this coming even after last week. 

We need to replace all the wide players who have been awful all season for me and need someone to help Jack when back and McGinn. 

I have always thought play offs are well within our grasp but not now. I am now starting to look over our shoulder instead. 

Promoted teams don't lose 3-0 at Wigan. What happened to the team that outplayed Derby, Boro and Albion away? 

Five points off sixth place still, but it might as well be fifty the way we are playing! One win from our last six league games. That's nearer relegation than promotion form. We have spurned a great opportunity in recent weeks to make a run for the play off places if not the automatic spots. Desperately disappointing stuff isn't it? :(

I know everyone's down after the last few games and especially today but I wouldn't rule us out just yet.

Hopefully Smith will get a response from the players and we can get back on track with 2 home victories against an in-form Hull and then Reading, then let's re-assess where we are.

I still think 5th or 6th is achievable.

4 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

I’d be petrified to go up with this group. It would break records for all the wrong reasons in the Premier League; probably on par or worse than the relegation season. No thank you. 

I don't think going up would be a problem at all.

We would be able to invest some serious money into the team with promotion, and even with relegation we would receive the parachute payments and our FFP worries would be clear for another 2-3 years.

Not really an issue though as there is more chance of Huddersfield winning the Premier League than us getting promotion this season.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

I don't think going up would be a problem at all.

We would be able to invest some serious money into the team with promotion, and even with relegation we would receive the parachute payments and our FFP worries would be clear for another 2-3 years.

Not really an issue though as there is more chance of Huddersfield winning the Premier League than us getting promotion this season.

Investing money isn’t the answer if there are glaring underlying problems at the club whether it’s recruitment or coaching. See Fulham. 

14 hours ago, dudevillaisnice said:

I’d be petrified to go up with this group. It would break records for all the wrong reasons in the Premier League; probably on par or worse than the relegation season. No thank you. 

Yeah because we wouldn’t buy any players if we got promoted. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

11 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Are we now just a midtable Championship team? 

If we keep playing like we have the last 5 games we are not even a midtable team and blues are miles above us.

Edited by villalad21

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Yeah because we wouldn’t buy any players if we got promoted. 

Stupid post. 

That is no guarantee as I said and our recent activity in the market hardly fills me with confidence; maybe things will change with the new regime but I’m not holding my breath. 

• Like 1

Just now, dudevillaisnice said:

That is no guarantee as I said and our recent activity in the market hardly fills me with confidence; maybe things will change with the new regime but I’m not holding my breath. 

Also from what i've seen from DS tactical abilities and no experience in the prem i would have no faith in him.

1 minute ago, holteend1982 said:

They are 1 point ahead wouldn't call that miles... 

Im not speaking based on the table but how we have performed the last 5 games. We have gone backwards.

We are now where we were when Bruce got the sack playingwise

Edited by villalad21