18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

6 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I would imagine @srsmithusa meant this season with the same roster of players (no Terry, Johnstone etc).

The difference in win ratios is about 15% I expect you know in whose favour...

Edit - also 6 out 14 is closer to 43%.

its 15 games.

The answer to your question for this season alone is 

• Steve Bruce - 11 games -27 %
  • Dean Smith - 15 games - 40 %

So, so far this season .....yes Dean is much better and faced tougher teams.

Lets hope we can do better when we face some of the lower teams.

Just now, TRO said:

its 15 games.

The answer to your question for this season alone is 

• Steve Bruce - 11 games -27 %
  • Dean Smith - 15 games - 40 %

So, so far this season .....yes Dean is much better and faced tougher teams.

Lets hope we can do better when we face some of the lower teams.

Sorry Tro, if it’s 15 games for Smith - you’re including the FA Cup game I see, then it has to be 13 games for Bruce, including the league cup. Fair’s fair. I mean, you can include a defeat to Burton if you want, but it wouldn’t form the crux of my argument.

I haven’t included the cup games as this is the promotion push thread and swine that the FA are, they don’t seem to view a few drab cup performances as being of any value to gaining promotion.

7 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Sorry Tro, if it’s 15 games for Smith - you’re including the FA Cup game I see, then it has to be 13 games for Bruce, including the league cup. Fair’s fair. I mean, you can include a defeat to Burton if you want, but it wouldn’t form the crux of my argument.

I haven’t included the cup games as this is the promotion push thread and swine that the FA are, they don’t seem to view a few drab cup performances as being of any value to gaining promotion.

From Millwall to QPR its 15 league games....do you want me to list them?

but its a moot point.

Dean is doing better.

30 minutes ago, TRO said:

From Millwall to QPR its 15 league games....do you want me to list them?

but its a moot point.

Dean is doing better.

You think Smith was in charge of the Millwall game?

Do you want me to post the announcement of Smith’s appointment, date included?

1 minute ago, Shropshire Lad said:

You think Smith was in charge of the Millwall game?

Do you want me to post the announcement of Smith’s appointment, date included?

I thought he was, my mistake if he wasn't.

24 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Those who felt we wouldn’t make playoffs.  Are you feeling a little more optimistic now Abraham is staying?

I do, yes.

Still need to address the LB and probably RB situation because we won't make the play off if we continue to trade goals like an amateur side.

Just keeping Abraham wont be enough IMO.

Edit: Making the play off is pointless if you don't get promoted. That is the goal, nothing else.

Edited by sne

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Those who felt we wouldn’t make playoffs.  Are you feeling a little more optimistic now Abraham is staying?

yes & No

need to see who is coming in to help us defend.....need DM too.

ps we need 14th to be sure of Abraham.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

Is Abraham really staying though? Wolves are still confident of signing him once FIFA ratify that he can play for them. And today, BBC Sport Football gossip page has announced that Palace are sniffing around him as well.

My concern is that there is still some snakery around all of this, and that if FIFA come back and say he can play for Wolves or Palace etc, then he might still go. Everything is not as clear as it seems to me.

I'd be a lot happier if the Abraham situation was actually him declaring that he really wants to stay here and help us get promoted. I'm still amazed that he would countenance turning down a reported 120k per week. Unless he was an actual Aston Villa fan playing for his boyhood team.

More to run on Abraham's story IMO.

38 minutes ago, Raver50032 said:

Is Abraham really staying though? Wolves are still confident of signing him once FIFA ratify that he can play for them. And today, BBC Sport Football gossip page has announced that Palace are sniffing around him as well.

My concern is that there is still some snakery around all of this, and that if FIFA come back and say he can play for Wolves or Palace etc, then he might still go. Everything is not as clear as it seems to me.

I'd be a lot happier if the Abraham situation was actually him declaring that he really wants to stay here and help us get promoted. I'm still amazed that he would countenance turning down a reported 120k per week. Unless he was an actual Aston Villa fan playing for his boyhood team.

More to run on Abraham's story IMO.

They arent paying 50 million for him so its over unless they do

On 09/01/2019 at 08:38, Vive_La_Villa said:

Still unsure tbh.

I felt we might not make the play-offs anyway before all the Tammy loan stuff started.

Him staying just reinforces that we have a chance but we still need to strengthen in other areas and results on the pitch need to improve. We have dropped far too many points lately for my liking.

Tammy staying has beathed some positivity in again though I will say that.

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 1

We are only 5 points off playoffs. QPR and blues both cant keep up the pace with squads they have and Forest are trying to sack Karanka for some weird reason

5 of the top 6 also have to come to Villa Park

• Like 1

On 09/01/2019 at 10:32, TRO said:

yes & No

need to see who is coming in to help us defend.....need DM too.

ps we need 14th to be sure of Abraham.

Exactly these two points.

Abraham stays and he/we will score plenty of more goals to propel us up the league.

Defensive midfielder is a must imo. We need somebody to do this role who is mobile and has the energy and capability to last out a game. Whelan, Hourihane, Bjarnason are not the answer. 

We now have a new goalkeeper and a centre half, along with the return of Elphick. Maybe another addition of a full back and that should help us.

We must get maximum points from the next three games as well.

• Like 3

On 09/01/2019 at 09:38, Vive_La_Villa said:

Depends if Hutton will keep playing week in week out, if he is, regardless in what position he plays we will be nowhere near playoffs

17 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Depends if Hutton will keep playing week in week out, if he is, regardless in what position he plays we will be nowhere near playoffs

You telling me if the prophet continues to play it will be the sole reason we do not make the playoffs!!

Thats some power.