18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

3 minutes ago, punkiller1981 said:

Forest have just spent £13 million on one player. No idea where they are getting the money from but looks like they are going to do similar to us and wolves and take a huge gamble to get promoted. Be interestIng to see which way it goes.

I admire their ambition - just goes to show what spending power you have when you have a couple of seasons breaking even - 2 seasons of breaking even and you can make a £26 mill loss - in this league, if spent wisely then that is promotion. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, punkiller1981 said:

Forest have just spent £13 million on one player. No idea where they are getting the money from but looks like they are going to do similar to us and wolves and take a huge gamble to get promoted. Be interestIng to see which way it goes.

They were taken over by the Greek bloke who owned Panathinaikos, I guess he is ploughing some cash in after they have had a couple of quiet years transfer wise after an embargo. Taking a gamble on promotion like Wolves and we did.

13 hours ago, NeilS said:

They were taken over by the Greek bloke who owned Panathinaikos, I guess he is ploughing some cash in after they have had a couple of quiet years transfer wise after an embargo. Taking a gamble on promotion like Wolves and we did.

So in terms of ffp is that how it has to work. Chuck money at it have a go and if you don’t go up take a couple of years off cut right back and wait for the books to balance then go again? I realise this is probably a question for the FFP thread and given we are struggling to survive at all its now not that relevant to us 

59 minutes ago, punkiller1981 said:

So in terms of ffp is that how it has to work. Chuck money at it have a go and if you don’t go up take a couple of years off cut right back and wait for the books to balance then go again? I realise this is probably a question for the FFP thread and given we are struggling to survive at all its now not that relevant to us 

I am no expert on FFP, but that could be the case. The big killer for Championship clubs is the wage bill, Forest have more or less sold all their decent/senior players over the years so I imagine are working to a tighter budget. We had the parachute payments propping up our massive wage bill, but that has now more or less gone and our wage bill still needs trimming accordingly. Selling a player (ie Grealish for £30m+) doesn't fix our ongoing wage issue where we pay big money for non contributing players like Richards and McCormack it will only plaster over the cracks as a temporary measure.

• Like 1

We need to use the loan market properly. Look at some of the shockers we've had, like the Lesser-Spotted Ilori. Even Tuanzebe last year, while I hope it did the lad some good here, he didn't exactly contribute greatly. We need loans like snod who can come in and hit the ground running. 

15 hours ago, punkiller1981 said:

it wasn't Micah was it ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, NeilS said:

That and they made profit last season from selling Assombalonga to Boro 

On 07/06/2018 at 12:54, eholm said:

Any chance we can close this thread? Zero chance of even threatening promotion; we need to accept the dire situation the club is in and hope we can muddle through until Xia sells. Staying in the division will be a good achievement and should be our focus on the field.

Rubbish

• Like 1

17 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

I have been looking at the retained and released list and it looks like we will still have a team that should be good enough to make a top 6 finish without too much trouble.

You do realise Steve Bruce is still in charge don't you?.

We will be nowhere near the top 6 this season with him here and half a squaf.

He **** his one and only chance last season. He should have been removed weeks ago!!

Edited by AvfcRigo82

15 hours ago, pintpotvilla said:

Rubbish

Until the full extent of our financial position and also that of the amount of players we need to sell is determined, I think you may be disappointed. 

2 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

You do realise Steve Bruce is still in charge don't you?.

We will be nowhere near the top 6 this season with him here and half a squaf.

He **** his one and only chance last season. He should have been removed weeks ago!!

But that's not true!

Bruce will get us in and around the top 6 (he's proven in this league) as long as we don't sell too many. The problem is it won't be pretty and it definately won't be done in a way to build an identity we can build on. If we miss out we are back to square 1, and this is likely in the playoffs as we proved this year.

This has to be balanced with the difficult position we find ourselves. 

Which is more important?

Edited by Nigel

28 minutes ago, Nigel said:

But that's not true!

Bruce will get us in and around the top 6 (he's proven in this league) as long as we don't sell too many. The problem is it won't be pretty and it definately won't be done in a way to build an identity we can build on. If we miss out we are back to square 1, and this is likely in the playoffs as we proved this year.

This has to be balanced with the difficult position we find ourselves. 

Which is more important?

Nigel, we just about made the play offs when we should have had automatic promotion mate.

With the task ahead (trim the squad/wages) and only half the team remaining from what he had last season, I cannot see for the life if me how he will get us anywhere near the play offs this season let alone promotion with less players and less resources.

He plays too defensively and at times that cost us dearly last season.

The trouble is (depending what and where we read) that major changes are needed and we need to reduce a £45m FFP deficit.

He needs to offload deadwood.. integrate more youth with the first teamers that will remain and go from there. 

But for me, Bruce is no longer the man for this.

His methods and his football and becoming outdated and this showed more than ever last season.

I remain Bruce out.

22 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Nigel, we just about made the play offs when we should have had automatic promotion mate.

With the task ahead (trim the squad/wages) and only half the team remaining from what he had last season, I cannot see for the life if me how he will get us anywhere near the play offs this season let alone promotion with less players and less resources.

The trouble is (depending what and where we read) that major changes are needed and we need to reduce a £45m FFP deficit.

He needs to offload deadwood.. integrate more youth with the first teamers that will remain and go from there. 

His methods and his football and becoming outdated and this showed more than ever last season.

I remain Bruce out.

"Just about made the play-offs"? I don't think so, we were assured of the play-offs with about 6 games to go. I'm sure you would accept the same next season. For all the changes to the squad and we don't yet know the full picture, I still think Bruce is the right man to achieve it. Any other man would be a much bigger risk in my opinion

• Like 1

Yes, Bruce is definately the man for next season but if he does not get us up then he should go.For next season, he knows the squad he knows the players and most important he knows it has to be next season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I remain Bruce out.

I don't have a set opinion tbh, literally 50/50 on it.

However there are some major positives to him staying too, which can't be overlooked.

Edited by Nigel

5 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

Yes, Bruce is definately the man for next season but if he does not get us up then he should go.For next season, he knows the squad he knows the players and most important he knows it has to be next season.

You mean like the last 2 seasons?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

You mean like the last 2 seasons?

Good point. He had the whole of that first summer signing RMC, Tshibola and the like. This is the truth. It's Bruce's fault we were 21st when he took over. The clown. 

23 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

Good point. He had the whole of that first summer signing RMC, Tshibola and the like. This is the truth. It's Bruce's fault we were 21st when he took over. The clown. 

Ok, a season and a half to be generous?

Since you throw RMC guess you'll have to include Kodjia, Adomah, Chester, Jedinak etc?

Wtf does us being 21st when he took over have to do with failing for 2 seasons running (A season and 3/4) with no signs of long term progression?

He was ultimately bested by 6 oher managers at lesser clubs bar Newcastle. The delusion is baffling.

There are other arguments for keeping Bruce but your original post is nothing but another poor excuse which sounds like it could have been conjured up by the man himself.

I look forward to countless press conferences about how much money he's not had to spend. Lol

Glad you have assured me "he knows the squad and it has to be this season" though. As I thought he knew that before.???

Anyway once again this is pointless.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2