18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

1 hour ago, Cjay said:

I think you'll beat Derby.

Still very bitter 😑 two lucky barstewarding teams.

The media narrative the Lampard beat us is nonsense.

They played better in the 2nd half, Lampard got them to push forward more but until Cooper and Casilla had a total meltdown they were going nowhere.

Cooper then gave them a pen and Berardi got sent off, we lost our heads (same as vs Wigan).  Derby arent a bad side but by quite a way the weakest in the playoffs imo (which is what annoys me most)😠

But yes I'd be very surprised if you dont beat Derby as against our injury ravaged side we still had to hand it to them they couldn't take it.

Can't disagree with most of that except there was only one lucky team. We've earned our place in the final through skill, grit and determination which resulted in storming form on the run in. Then we trolled the Dingles into a penalty shoot-out, in which we handed out a lesson and a final Adomah troll, to break our local rivals for now and hobble their mental strength for next season. :lol:

I did think you were going to cruise that tie out and we'd be playing you until that massive balls up in defence. Wasn't there a close shave a bit earlier in a similar fashion that you got away with or did it come after? Either way, you were looking dodgy with a goalie who seemed to be having rushes of blood to the head and defenders who were having concomitant white-outs when he did it.

And to give Derby credit, they exploited what was going on there, pressured and pulled it off. The warning to all teams is there to see. Games can change in an instant, a mistake can act as a pivot to lever momentum in a different direction and if you haven't the coolness and mental strength to overcome that, you're screwed.

And that's one thing we have that we had little or none of in years past under different managers with different players. We didn't do comebacks from setbacks the way we do now. Anything can happen but ultimately, as you say, they were the weakest team in the playoffs and they are coming up against who have demonstrably proved to be the strongest and who should have too much for them.

Hopefully. 🤞

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Cjay said:

Given the things we know about JT and morals you would have to go some to be able to🤔

Do the KKK play football?😐

Leeds United joint second in racism league of shame

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/football/leeds-united/leeds-united-latest/leeds-united-joint-second-in-racism-league-of-shame-1-7171488

Careful now....

2 hours ago, Cjay said:

In the unlikely imo event Derby beat you i shall take great pleasure in coming back to this 😆

Sure thing, though I don't know why.

We haven't been giving it the big'un all season about walking promotion.

If anything, despite being favourites and the expectation that comes with that, I'm pretty thankful just for being here.

1 hour ago, Cjay said:

Honestly i dont think we "burnt out".

I think we had to many injuries, not enough individual quality and to many mentally weak players.

I didnt expect playoffs as i said before.

I think a “burnout” can be mental as much as physical.

1 hour ago, Cjay said:

"Dirty Leeds" i wasnt even born when that became a thing. We lost the 2nd leg because we bottled it (nothing to do with dirty).

You can’t say “oh the dirty Leeds thing was before I was born” but then use incidents that involved John Terry when he was Chelsea to slur Villa. It’s inconsistent.

1 hour ago, Cjay said:

Do the KKK play football?😐

You’re letting yourself down here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TRO said:

but there is another way of looking at those stats......why did we only get 2 goals?....with so much overwhelming domination.

Because football requires a team to penetrate past the lines of opposition and put the ball inside the posts.

Even at a standstill, two lines of four men cover just under half the goal line for width and height.

With their arm span at full width, those two lines cover double the space between the goal posts.

With one leg outstretched, eight men of average height (6ft) cover nearly exactly the width of the goal (10cm short).

Without wanting to go on a huge tangent about the space covered by our opponents once we reach the final third, and how it relates to difficulty to score..

You can see through basic math and stats that when an opposition has one or even two lines of defenders, added to that a goalkeeper..

When all are standing between the ball and the goal, and are able to anticipate and react to the movement before attackers reach their intended target..

It makes the angles and space allowed for a successful attempt at goal quite minimal. This is why we see so few successful attempts in proportion to total attempts.

An average for the best player for 'key passes' made, from any given team, generally makes up for about 1% of a teams total passes made.

This is probably why, statistically speaking, direct play yields a higher goal rate per pass made over possession football, because lines of defending are surpassed quicker..

This is probably why crosses, again, statistically, yield the highest chance of creating a goal from open play, because lines of defenders can be outdone by skilled delivery and runs.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

It's bizarre to me fans that post on other teams message boards.

Surely these people have better things to do?  I feel sorry for them 🙄

Strange to me too, must have nothing else to do on a Saturday. Maybe they should get a hobby or something? Wish I had time to be bored.

2 hours ago, Cjay said:

We are miles clear of FFP if thats why you mention the wages, all indicators suggest between £20-30mil.

We won without Bamford first leg, missed chances to put the tie to bed but thats been a problem all season Bamford or not. A small part maybe regarding Berardi but we were mentally gone by this point anyways.

I am worried about Bielsa but id rather be us then you if you dont go up.

3 of your key players all loans will go, Grealish and  McGinn may go load of contracts up arent they.

You squad would need a total overhaul.

Haha.

Pretty much word for word what bitter opposition fans said and hoped for last year, and here we are in the playoff final yet again. 

2 hours ago, privateer said:

Can't disagree with most of that except there was only one lucky team. We've earned our place in the final through skill, grit and determination which resulted in storming form on the run in. Then we trolled the Dingles into a penalty shoot-out, in which we handed out a lesson and a final Adomah troll, to break our local rivals for now and hobble their mental strength for next season. :lol:

I did think you were going to cruise that tie out and we'd be playing you until that massive balls up in defence. Wasn't there a close shave a bit earlier in a similar fashion that you got away with or did it come after? Either way, you were looking dodgy with a goalie who seemed to be having rushes of blood to the head and defenders who were having concomitant white-outs when he did it.

And to give Derby credit, they exploited what was going on there, pressured and pulled it off. The warning to all teams is there to see. Games can change in an instant, a mistake can act as a pivot to lever momentum in a different direction and if you haven't the coolness and mental strength to overcome that, you're screwed.

And that's one thing we have that we had little or none of in years past under different managers with different players. We didn't do comebacks from setbacks the way we do now. Anything can happen but ultimately, as you say, they were the weakest team in the playoffs and they are coming up against who have demonstrably proved to be the strongest and who should have too much for them.

Hopefully. 🤞

When did we play the dingles? 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I think a “burnout” can be mental as much as physical.

You can’t say “oh the dirty Leeds thing was before I was born” but then use incidents that involved John Terry when he was Chelsea to slur Villa. It’s inconsistent.

You’re letting yourself down here.

That was probably uncalled for tbf (my comment), dont like John Terry never have tbh.

Was talking to a Newcastle fan the other day who i met when i lived up there, got on to the subject of parachute payments.

What do you guys think of them? He is a fan i am not i think they reward failure and created a distortion in the transfer market between those who have and haven't.

You had them and have seen the good and the bad side i suppose so just curious.

9 minutes ago, Cjay said:

That was probably uncalled for tbf (my comment), dont like John Terry never have tbh.

Was talking to a Newcastle fan the other day who i met when i lived up there, got on to the subject of parachute payments.

What do you guys think of them? He is a fan i am not i think they reward failure and created a distortion in the transfer market between those who have and haven't.

You had them and have seen the good and the bad side i suppose so just curious.

Probably one for the FFP thread

I get why people don’t like them and think they’re unfair. But I can see the need for some sort of financial safety net when a club is relegated.

Think they can be a double edged sword. We were taken for a ride by several clubs and overpaid massively which in turn helped our rivals out. I don’t know who Fulham spent the £12m we gave them for McCormack on, but if for whatever reason a Fulham supporter started to complain about FFP, I’d be quite happy to point out how our parachute payment benefited them more than us.

For what it’s worth, while we’ve pissed away a fortune, the starting line up that could secure us promotion on 27th May (nice segue back to our promotion push there eh?) could cost around £10m in transfer costs, if it’s the same as the one that started the second leg. Of course I don’t know what the loan signings will be on, I suspect a lot. But there’s a mixture of home grown players, loan signings and reasonably shrewd purchases. The only likely big money signing who could start is Kodjia.

The fall off in payments and operating costs of the PL is so severe between the PL and Championship that there has to be Parachute Payments. Big clubs can cope more but a Bournemouth or Brighton coming down without cushioning would either plummet through the divisions or go out of business.

3 hours ago, DCJonah said:

The same blind hope small heath and bristol fans are clinging to

So many tinpot clubs obsessed with us it's unreal. I remember people predicting this when we went down but to see it play out is something else.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Rubbish.

It was TWO billionaire owners...

I don't want to get picky here, but it was two MULTI billionaire owners. 

• Haha 1