18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

I must admit, Leeds worry me. I hate saying it, but as a unit, they're probably a better side than us.
If we get past Albion, I hope Derby/Boro have beaten Leeds in the Semi's because that will be one helluva tough match up against those lot. 

I'm nowhere near as confident as I was this time yesterday! 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I must admit, Leeds worry me. I hate saying it, but as a unit, they're probably a better side than us.
If we get past Albion, I hope Derby/Boro have beaten Leeds in the Semi's because that will be one helluva tough match up against those lot. 

Yeah it struck me that they've lost form lately and if they were to rekindle that it'd be a very tough game, they have some dangerous players. Would be the sort of game where one dodgy challenge in the heat of it and that could decide the game. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Anyone find any odds for the play offs ? ...be interesting because the confirmed a probable contenders look so even this year....

us and Leeds are 2/1 to go up and Baggies 7/2 and Derby 11/2

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

How you work that one out? They couldn't get close to us yesterday on their own turf in a hostile environment. They had to resort to cheating to score and we also had ten men for twenty minutes yet we still were quite comfortable. 

I don't fear them as with Tammy we are a different animal. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

I thought we matched them really well yesterday. First half we were better and second half was really nothing until the goal fiasco.

The only time they truly battered us was the 7 minutes of injury time as we couldn't retain the ball from jedinak for some reason being played upfront.

They played much better at 2-0 down at VP.

They're a good team of course but Fulham gave me the freight much more this time last year. They were on an amazing run and schooled us at Craven Cottage in the run in which I think played into our minds once the play off final kicked off.

Interested if it's Derby-Leeds. Leeds would be favourites but Derby made an even bigger fuss of spygate than us with yesterday's incident so that would be a two leg grudge match.

I think Leeds are mentally exhausted rather than physically at this stage. Bielsa's intensity must be draining - hopefully that game and all of the controversy around it will sap their mental strength even more. There's very little between us and them at the moment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

How you work that one out? They couldn't get close to us yesterday on their own turf in a hostile environment. They had to resort to cheating to score and we also had ten men for twenty minutes yet we still were quite comfortable. 

I don't fear them as with Tammy we are a different animal. 

I’d agree with that. The only thing that concerned me yesterday was their skill in the dark arts, perhaps Villa need to look at that and be prepared to do the same. The Tesco bags also have a pair of frontmen happy to cheat to achieve any sort of win. Ditto Fulham last year in the playoff final. We mustn’t be naive in the use of dark arts, we’ll have it used against us more often than not. We must be as able as anyone else in that area. Like it or not. Moral superiority doesn’t win Premier League places now. 

I thought Leeds were decent in the sense that they played through our midfield quite comfortably at times and created a lot of space on the edge of our box. I'd expect Whelo to marshall that space better than Hourihane did but on a big Wembley pitch who knows. 

The other thing their play did was force Grealish to track back in earnest a lot more than they usually do. I thought this showed in the attacking third as neither had quite the zip they usually do though partly that could be down to better defending from the opposition. 

All that said they only created half chances, our CBs had Bamford in their pocket but it was enough half chances where if it was Villa I'd have expected us to put one away. All in all I'd back us to beat them but they are no doubt more of a test than Derby, Boro and Boggies. 

52 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

I’d agree with that. The only thing that concerned me yesterday was their skill in the dark arts, perhaps Villa need to look at that and be prepared to do the same. The Tesco bags also have a pair of frontmen happy to cheat to achieve any sort of win. Ditto Fulham last year in the playoff final. We mustn’t be naive in the use of dark arts, we’ll have it used against us more often than not. We must be as able as anyone else in that area. Like it or not. Moral superiority doesn’t win Premier League places now. 

I wouldn't worry about that. We're not a team of angels or goodie-two-shoes. Jedinak, Whelan, Taylor and McGinn all like to put their foot in, Hutton (though he probably wont play) is as dirty as they get, Mings had the whole 'stamp' business earlier this year and Grealish, as much as we love him, knows exactly what he's doing when he gets round a player and buys a freekick.

It might not be the same as a Maupay/Fredericks intentional stamp, but it's still a form of 'dark arts' as you call it.

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

Do we think having the experience of last years play offs will give our players an edge over those who haven’t experienced it before? 

Kind of like Fulham against us. Yes there was the fact that they were a better footballing side than us and gave us a lesson but that doesn't fit my point :lol:

• Like 1

Leeds are the one to beat IMO - they have a little wobble but can see theming coming  again in the play offs. They seem to have that "whatever it takes" resilience.

I worry about our play in the final 3rd. We have been wasteful in the last few games.

I'm wondering whether it's just coincidence that Leeds suddenly rediscovered their form yesterday, or whether it was down to the fact that it was the first match in a while where the pressure was off?  Let's face it Sheff Utd were as good as promoted so it was in effect a no pressure game in that respect.

Wonder if they'll bottle it come the pressure of the playoffs - really hope they do!!

14 minutes ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

I'm wondering whether it's just coincidence that Leeds suddenly rediscovered their form yesterday, or whether it was down to the fact that it was the first match in a while where the pressure was off?  Let's face it Sheff Utd were as good as promoted so it was in effect a no pressure game in that respect.

Wonder if they'll bottle it come the pressure of the playoffs - really hope they do!!

Good point.

4 hours ago, Nigel said:

Want Boro to get 6th now as it seems Leeds are a bit worried about them!

I quite like playing them tbh!

I can fully understand that....Middlesbrough are better equipped to deal with Leeds aggression IMO....But Middlesbrough are not as naturally fired up as Leeds and we moved them around a bit...all makes sense to me.

16 minutes ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

I don't think so....I think they knew how to stop us and that's what they did.....sadly, for what ever reason, our 2 best players were negated (and the other was out injured) and it took the edge off us.

I would like to see a young version of Jedinak and Whelan come in the summer.....Like Tom Trybull or Kalvin Phillips or better.

1 hour ago, OxfordVillan said:

Some would argue we are the best of the lot!