18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

We can beat anyone in this league, I'm confident of that. However would prefer to avoid Leeds if we can.

Anyone following my posts would know that I never wrote us off for promotion, even when things weren't so good.

I still think there's some way to go though. 12 points to play for and 5 point advantage on 7th.

I don't want to s*** on people reveling but if we fail to get a win in our next two (however unlikely), we could miss out.

I guess all I'm saying is every game is still a  must win until we've done it and secured our position

Because lose or draw the next two and we then have the 2nd and 3rd best teams in the competition (we would be 1st my friends!)

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

I'm bloody petrified that the Villa way will be pissing all these league games only to baulk in the playoffs. 

I agree Sheffield over Leeds, they seem to me to just be on a season long hot streak. Thin squad reliant on a couple of key players, especially Sharp. They did the same thing last season but fizzled out just before Xmas. 

I've a couple of mates who support the Blades. They're convinced that the club has worked out that the most cost effective season is to get to the playoffs and NOT go up. They've done it several times. 

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I've a couple of mates who support the Blades. They're convinced that the club has worked out that the most cost effective season is to get to the playoffs and NOT go up. They've done it several times. 

Haha that's true. I would have thought it would be to go up though and spend bugger all, go down, stash the money, go up again with same squad another big load of TV money and then have a tilt. I'm sure baggies and other yo yo clubs did this. 

15 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

We can beat anyone in this league, I'm confident of that. However would prefer to avoid Leeds if we can.

Anyone following my posts would know that I never wrote us off for promotion, even when things weren't so good.

I still think there's some way to go though. 12 points to play for and 5 point advantage on 7th.

I don't want to s*** on people reveling but if we fail to get a win in our next two (however unlikely), we could miss out.

I guess all I'm saying is every game is still a  must win until we've done it and secured our position

Because lose or draw the next two and we then have the 2nd and 3rd best teams in the competition (we would be 1st my friends!)

My Leeds supporting friend feels the same. They really don’t want the playoffs because of the fear of us. We’re the team to beat at present. 

13 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Hmmm... I have no idea how that works.

34 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Surely it would be more cost effective to get promoted, not spend a penny then get relegated again with the parachute payments? 🤔😂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

That is.....flawed

A long way to go yet, a few twists and turns I‘m sure will occur. So I really don’t want to sound like I’m getting ahead of myself.

But it just feels like it’s shaping up to be a Sheff Utd v Villa final, the narrative of two local lads managing their boyhood clubs, it just seems inevitable.

2 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

A long way to go yet, a few twists and turns I‘m sure will occur. So I really don’t want to sound like I’m getting ahead of myself.

But it just feels like it’s shaping up to be a Sheff Utd v Villa final, the narrative of two local lads managing their boyhood clubs, it just seems inevitable.

That sounds like you are getting ahead of yourself 🙂

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Since Deano took over, both have Played 30 Games and got 54 Points, bettered only by Norwich and Leeds, with Sheffield having a goal difference of 22, to our 19.

And of course we have Drawn 3-3.

So we are well matched !

• Like 1

We're shaping up nicely for a complete sell out from here on in. Bolton is sold out, Leeds will be, there are about 3,200 tickets left for Millwall and less than 500 for Norwich.

41,418 today. The support at the moment is fantastic.

40 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

We're shaping up nicely for a complete sell out from here on in. Bolton is sold out, Leeds will be, there are about 3,200 tickets left for Millwall and less than 500 for Norwich.

41,418 today. The support at the moment is fantastic.

Third highest attendance in England. What happened to The Premier league being the best league in the World? It's certainly a smaller league without us in it. 

• Like 1

One noticeable, pleasing feature of this team is that players are stepping in when called on and performing at the required standard as if they were regular first-teamers. Jedinak and Kodjia on Wednesday, and then Jedinak and Davis and to a lesser extent Lansbury today, all coming in in circumstances that could have been difficult, but doing the required job without looking like a step down in standard. It suggests both a good spirit within the squad, and a very healthy competition for places where people know that they have to perform in their short windows in the first team. The best teams often have this dynamic. 

• Like 4

Ifs and Buts

8 out of 8, solid week for the Villa! 

West Brom to draw to Preston - WBA Win ❎

Boro to draw to Hull - Boro Win ❎

Derby to beat Bolton - Derby Win ❎

Sheff W to lose to Leeds - Leeds Win ✅

Villa to beat Bristol - Villa Win ✅

4 - West Brom - 73 points

5 - Villa - 69 points

6 - Bristol - 65 points

7 - Boro - 64 point

8 - Derby - 63 points

Games in hand - Derby x 1 & Bristol x 1

Ifs and Buts

Onto Good Friday we go with a chance to make it 9 wins on the bounce. Some tough games for the teams below us.

West Brom to draw to Hull

Bristol to beat Reading

Boro to draw to Stoke

Derby to draw to Blues

Villa to beat Bolton

4 - West Brom - 74 points

5 - Villa - 72 points

6 - Bristol - 68 points

7 - Boro - 65 point

8 - Derby - 64 points

Games in hand - Derby x 1 & Bristol x 1