18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

Win the next 5 games in a row and the play-offs are ours. Win all 7 and we go into the play-offs as favourites after a 12 game winning run. 

Does anybody know what our longest winning run is? 

Edited by villarocker

6 hours ago, villarocker said:

Win the next 5 games in a row and the play-offs are ours. Win all 7 and we go into the play-offs as favourites after a 12 game winning run. 

Does anybody know what our longest winning run is? 

Probably not our best ever run but we managed 8 in all competition under Gregory. 

I mentioned before no team seemed to win more than 7 in a row this season and last. 

That would take us to the Bristol City game.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

My only concern is that Smith has a history of going on runs of winning about 7 or 8 games and then  going the opposite way.  Hopefully this time the run keeps going to15 games.

That's a ridiculous expectation. We're in the playoffs which is exactly what we wanted. Finishing 3rd to 6th is virtually the same thing, and we can easily finish 6th even with a few losses. 

Edited by TreeVillan

1 hour ago, TreeVillan said:

That's a ridiculous expectation. We're in the playoffs which is exactly what we wanted. Finishing 3rd to 6th is virtually the same thing, and we can easily finish 6th even with a few losses. 

I would disagree, we can afford a loss and possibly two draws at the very most. If that were to happen we would just manage 6th if results went our way.

It's going to be extremely tight unless we keep the wins rolling in.

• Like 1

Fixtures of the playoff contenders.   I'm gonna assume the top four are staying in the top four and just including the teams with dreams of those final two spots. 

5th - Aston Villa (P39 Pts 60 GD +15)

WqIFsdD.png

6th - Derby County (P38 Pts 59 GD+7)

49f3wXJ.png

7th - Bristol City (P37 Pts 58 GD+8)

aDIX6Eq.png

8th - Middlesbrough (P38 Pts 58 GD+8)

VWaHX3C.png

9th - Nottingham Forest (P39 Pts 57 GD+9)

pZ9n9HB.png

10th - Preston North End (P39 Pts 57 GD+7)

bCg7RV0.png

11th - Sheffield Wednesday (P39 Pts 56 GD-3)

JytQJK0.png

12th Hull City Tigers  (P39 Pts 54 GD+-0) 

m4UVGy6.png

Some enormous games coming up, Middlesbrough vs Bristol City tonight is a real six pointer, they are currently separated only by goals scored.  

Sheffield Wednesday have some really rough looking fixtures, but just like Villa in March, if you have a run of games against teams immediately above you in the table and win them all then it really propels you up the table as you are guaranteed to gain ground.  Bristol City have the games in hand but I'd be worried about fixture congestion at this point of the season.  I think Hull are real outsiders but their next two games could give six points and they'll be a bit more in the picture if they win those while the teams above them all play each other and inevitably drop points.  

Who am I backing?  Villa obviously and I've got a feeling Derby have the easiest run in so they'll pick up plenty of points. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

Fixtures of the playoff contenders.   I'm gonna assume the top four are staying in the top four and just including the teams with dreams of those final two spots. 

WqIFsdD.png

6th - Derby County (P38 Pts 59 GD+7)

49f3wXJ.png

7th - Bristol City (P37 Pts 58 GD+8)

aDIX6Eq.png

8th - Middlesbrough (P38 Pts 58 GD+8)

VWaHX3C.png

9th - Nottingham Forest (P39 Pts 57 GD+9)

pZ9n9HB.png

10th - Preston North End (P39 Pts 57 GD+7)

bCg7RV0.png

11th - Sheffield Wednesday (P39 Pts 56 GD-3)

JytQJK0.png

12th Hull City Tigers  (P39 Pts 54 GD+-0) 

m4UVGy6.png

Some enormous games coming up, Middlesbrough vs Bristol City tonight is a real six pointer, they are currently separated only by goals scored.  

Sheffield Wednesday have some really rough looking fixtures, but just like Villa in March, if you have a run of games against teams immediately above you in the table and win them all then it really propels you up the table as you are guaranteed to gain ground.  Bristol City have the games in hand but I'd be worried about fixture congestion at this point of the season.  I think Hull are real outsiders but their next two games could give six points and they'll be a bit more in the picture if they win those while the teams above them all play each other and inevitably drop points.  

Who am I backing?  Villa obviously and I've got a feeling Derby have the easiest run in so they'll pick up plenty of points. 

yeah derby haven't got a bad run in at all...there will be many twists and turns i'm sure

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

yeah derby haven't got a bad run in at all...there will be many twists and turns i'm sure

I keep reading this but those 5 away games that Derby have don’t look easy to me. Derby are awful away from home.

I think we have the best run in up until the last 2 games. 

As for tonight’s game I think Boro are due a win after 4 defeats in a row. They also looked a lot better against Norwich and were a little unlucky.

Bristol managed an amazing result on the weekend but the game must have taken a lot out of them. 

2 hours ago, wilko154 said:

I would disagree, we can afford a loss and possibly two draws at the very most. If that were to happen we would just manage 6th if results went our way.

It's going to be extremely tight unless we keep the wins rolling in.

I think 71 will make it this year. I think we will finish on 75

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

Having games in hand is not really a bonus IMO.  Bristol have to cram in 2 extra games, with Millwall away in the final week.  Derby have Swansea away as an extra in that week.  At the end of a long season that's not going to be easy.

6 minutes ago, rubberman said:

Having games in hand is not really a bonus IMO.  Bristol have to cram in 2 extra games, with Millwall away in the final week.  Derby have Swansea away as an extra in that week.  At the end of a long season that's not going to be easy.

Depends I guess.

For team like Bristol, Swansea and Middlesbrough who are in terrible form it's not a good thing.

For team like us Norwich or Sheff U it would probably be a good thing.

But u never know.

After the Blackburn game Aston Villa have 60 points out of a possible 117. The final projected points total will currently be 71 points that is points after 46 games. Basing this off last seasons final table will put us 9th.

There is still 21 points to play for giving us a maximum potential points haul of 81 points.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since the appointment of Dean Smith the new projected points total would be 72 points that is points after 46 games. That has included of 1.25 PPG from Steve Bruce and the current 1.66PPG from Smith. Using 1.66PPG over the remaining 7 games.

Basing this off last seasons final table will put us 8th

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, rubberman said:

I agree. April is a horrible schedule as it is. Too have an extra one or two games is just too much for any squad to handle.

2 hours ago, The_Rev said:

WqIFsdD.png

The only worrying thing about our fixtures is that every opponent bar none is close to an 'action area', be it going up or down.  So if you swap out league position for a strength number based on proximity to the top or the bottom of the league (where midtable is weakest) then we've a very tough set of fixtures.  Luckily we're one of the 2 best sides in the league at the moment and I fancy us against anyone.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BOF said:

The only worrying thing about our fixtures is that every opponent bar none is close to an 'action area', be it going up or down.  So if you swap out league position for a strength number based on proximity to the top or the bottom of the league (where midtable is weakest) then we've a very tough set of fixtures.  Luckily we're one of the 2 best sides in the league at the moment and I fancy us against anyone.

I'm actually more worried about Rotherham, Bolton and Millwall than I am the others.

We've shown in recent weeks we can really raise our game when playing a side higher in the table. Blackburn was the first time since Stoke we'd played someone who weren't above us at the point of kick off and our bad habits came right back to the fore, we sat back for most of the second half and our general play became really sloppy, we started taking silly risks with possession in our own half.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I think we'll beat Leeds, Norwich etc with ease but I'm confident we'll at least turn up properly for those whereas the others are a question mark for me.

14 minutes ago, BOF said:

Would love it if we beat Leeds in the play off final.

Where are the Leeds fans who posted on here on a regular basis months ago btw? Not as cocky anymore as their promotion hopes isn't as secure as earlier.

@BOF I'd back us to beat Rotherham and Bolton away. I think we've got to win our home games. Ideally finish with 75 points but I have a sneaky suspicion that 72 or 73 might be enough to get into the playoffs this season. 

2 hours ago, BOF said:

That’s one way of looking at it. Another way of looking at it is all the teams we are playing are all under pressure. I actually think the toughest opponent we’ve had during this run (not including Birmingham) was Blackburn. 

In that second half they played like a team that had no pressure on them. Moved it around really well. I was quite impressed.

• Like 1