18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

2 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Thinking about this more, we really do have to pull ourselves clear in 5th or 6th in case we drop points against Leeds & Norwich. That would be soul destroying...

On the flip side if your Norwich or Leeds in a razor tight scrap for automatic would you want be playing an in form Villa side who themselves are scraping ?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Currently I can't see Axel or Chester getting into the team. That in itself is a fantastic problem to have.

I could see either coming back in with Hause moving to LB. 

33 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

On the flip side if your Norwich or Leeds in a razor tight scrap for automatic would you want be playing an in form Villa side who themselves are scraping ?

I think they will both be promoted by then. They may be playing for the title though. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think they will both be promoted by then. They may be playing for the title though. 

I dunno. I thought Sheffield United would of fallen away ages ago . It's gonna be very tight.

40 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Semi final or even final v the baggies would be quality. 

Wouldn't want to play them in the final tbh, thought of losing that.......

Bring them on in a semi final though which is what we'd get if we finished 5th. 6th and most likely Sheffield United (or Leeds) and that would be very tough on how the games have gone against them in the league. I'd fancy us more v Norwich if they had a meltdown in the final weeks.

Long way to go before all of that of course.

6 minutes ago, villarocker said:

You criticised Smith on Sunday for dropping McGinn. Tonight, McGinn came in and scored two. Would he have been as good had he played the whole game on Sunday? 

He has already used today as an example of why McGinn should have played Sunday.

We keep feeding him.

Weird that we've had this exact same run of fixtures twice now in Smith's reign.

Derby

SHA

Forest

Boro

We're already 2 points up on our previous tally of 7 points at this stage of the run while conceding 6 less goals. Let's make that a perfect 12 out of 12! Can't **** wait for Saturday.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Wouldn't want to play them in the final tbh, thought of losing that.......

True. They probably have the best squad in the league as well on paper. A better manager would have walked the league with that squad. 

3 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Weird that we've had this exact same run of fixtures twice now in Smith's reign.

Derby

SHA

Forest

Boro

We're already 2 points up on our previous tally of 7 points at this stage of the run while conceding 6 less goals. Let's make that a perfect 12 out of 12! Can't **** wait for Saturday.

When we’re playing well and winning the wait between games is unbearable. 

Dreading International week!  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

True. They probably have the best squad in the league as well on paper. A better manager would have walked the league with that squad. 

WBA? Up there, however I would actually say Stoke have a better squad on paper.

I say bring on anyone, anytime. In the league we've only been done in by more than a single goal twice under Smith. Shows we've been in every contest.

I have to say, the idea of playing Sheff Utd or Leeds in the playoffs terrifies me. We’re playing well at the minute but they’ve played well all season. Maybe it’s just me being pessimistic as I’ve never really seen us win big, important games where we were the underdogs. We usually just roll over, the F.A cup final against Arsenal springs to mind. I always hope we’ve reached a turning point however, so let’s hope Dean’s the man to properly instil them with confidence.

50 minutes ago, 7392craig said:

I have to say, the idea of playing Sheff Utd or Leeds in the playoffs terrifies me. We’re playing well at the minute but they’ve played well all season. Maybe it’s just me being pessimistic as I’ve never really seen us win big, important games where we were the underdogs. We usually just roll over, the F.A cup final against Arsenal springs to mind. I always hope we’ve reached a turning point however, so let’s hope Dean’s the man to properly instil them with confidence.

Anyone can lose one match. If we make it to the final, we may win, may not.

We won't embarrass ourselves by turning up without a plan this time though.

• Like 1

I'd much rather face Sheffield United in the semis than finish 5th and face West Brom. I'm sure we can still take them at a packed VP with Jack and John on form, but maybe the game at VP left a sour taste, and we'd never hear the end of it from those small time yo-yo strings in the black country if we lose.

Edited by Keyblade

8 hours ago, av1 said:

I could see either coming back in with Hause moving to LB. 

Can’t see smith changing the back 4 when we’ve been doing so well. Even Taylor deserves credit, 3 games and 2 clean sheets and a lucky goal, would be harsh to change it.

I wouldn't put Chester back in at all. I don't rate him. if Tuanzebe is fit he goes in alongside Mings and Hause back to left back. Taylor has done OK recently but I'd still prefer him on the bench.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

I wouldn't put Chester back in at all. I don't rate him. if Tuanzebe is fit he goes in alongside Mings and Hause back to left back. Taylor has done OK recently but I'd still prefer him on the bench.

Axel RB, Chester , Mings, Hause LB is our best bet IMO.

2 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Axel RB, Chester , Mings, Hause LB is our best bet IMO.

I wouldn't drop Elmo at the moment. I'd agree with Chester, Mings and Hause though. We need a right footer in for balance and Chester is a lot tidier than Hause, a lot more experienced than Hause and Tuanzebe and actually our own player. 

• Like 1