18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

Usually I'd mention the opponent we've just beaten for a while after a game and even though it's a win i don't want to mention or acknowledge that vile cretin of a club anymore. Hope we go up so we don't have to go near them next season. Let's talk about forest and moving forward now.

• Like 1

Tell you what, two wins before the international break and this is back on.  We've left ourselves with very little margin for error but fortunately (or at least I think fortunately) we do play a lot of teams we are directly chasing in the next few matches so if we win we are guaranteed to gain ground.  

Just now, The_Rev said:

Tell you what, two wins before the international break and this is back on. 

Let's take it one game at a time before we get carried away and end up in disapointment again.

I refuse to get excited just yet.

2 wins on the bounce though..  we go again. :)

• Like 3

Yep, I think we need to move into the top six or be only a point or so away with 3 or 4 games left to seriously be considering it. Great win, beat Forest in the next game and we are still not getting totally dropped out the race. It'll only take a couple of bd results though now for it to disappear over the horizon. All we can do is keep winning our games, the rest is not in our hands until we do get into the top 6, at which point it's ours to lose.

Excluding Boro and even WBA potentially is wrong. 

Every loss from WBA and Boro will have affect relevant or irrelevant. If we can win at Forest, and those two fail to win we could be 4-7 points to them. Then a game at home against Boro will mean a lot. 

The fact that our opponents will play each other is also helpful.

We're a long, long way from being ready for the Premier league, and it's probably easier to plan and begin our total rebuild in this league. Having said that, if we do sneak promotion through the back door, then it will remove the FFP straight jacket and we would be in for both the fear and excitement of a wild roller coaster ride.

My head tell's me "Let's be patient and build steadily and sustainably for once."

My heart says "Go for it and if it happens, get the wallets out!" 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

We're a long, long way from being ready for the Premier league, and it's probably easier to plan and begin our total rebuild in this league. Having said that, if we do sneak promotion through the back door, then it will remove the FFP straight jacket and we would be in for both the fear and excitement of a wild roller coaster ride.

My head tell's me "Let's be patient and build steadily and sustainably for once."

Sneak up through playoffs.

Keep Jack, keep McGinn, sign Tammy and Mings. We have a decent spine. 

Don't think we will mind but can only see us keeping McGinn without it :(

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

Fulham built a huge team and tearing it up in the champioship. Look how are they doing up there.

You can’t depend on players who you had down. So you’ll need atleast 6 starters either in the championship or the Premier League.

Anyway I think we have a good board now, an a manager who knows what he wants.

I would definitely look at going up. But still long way to go.

If's and But's

Some great results this week topped off with a brilliant win today, suddenly we are back in the playoff race.

Midweek is a lot tougher but take the points where we can and we will slowly move our way up the table.

Bristol to beat Ipswich

Boro to draw against Preston

Derby to draw against Stoke

Villa to beat Forest

5 - Boro - 59 points

6 - Bristol City - 57 points

7 - Derby - 56 points

8 - Villa - 54 points

9 - Forest - 53 points

Edited by wilko154

2 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

I’d agree with your head except going up means no FFP, £100,000,000, keeping Mings, Axel, Jack, McGinn, And Tammy...l( potentially).

Im pretty sure if I was Dean Smith I’d rather build from there !

So, I don’t agree !

• Like 2

2 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Fulham built a huge team and tearing it up in the champioship. Look how are they doing up there.

You can’t depend on players who you had down. So you’ll need atleast 6 starters either in the championship or the Premier League.

Anyway I think we have a good board now, an a manager who knows what he wants.

I would definitely look at going up. But still long way to go.

They added 100m worth of players and changed the whole team. I think if they largely kept their Championship core they would have done considerably better a la Cardiff.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

Yes, I really don't get this "bad to get promoted" thing. 

1) I really don't think the bottom of the PL is that far ahead of the top of the championship. I don't think we will have to sign THAT many players. Those we do need to have relegation clauses. 

2) imagine coming back down to this league in a years time with the massively larger parachute payments and actually having a sensible plan about what to do with it instead of just pissing it all away. 

Financially getting promoted is the best thing that could possibly happen regardless of what happens next year. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 4

I said a couple of weeks ago that if we make it into the play offs, we'll win them. I firmly believe that, because the run it's going to take to get in and stay in the play offs will be something else. That will carry through.

If we get there, we'll win them. 

Edited by Sam3773
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Sam3773 said:

I said a couple of weeks ago that if we make it into the play offs, we'll win them. I firmly believe that, because the run it's going to take to get in and stay in the play offs will be something else. That will carry through.

If we get there, we'll win them. 

We also play much better against the top teams than we did last season. We don't roll over for them and take the game to them.

If we make it to 6th we'll likely play Sheffield United in the semis. Over 2 legs, you've got to back us. If we got to the final I would be so much more confident than last season.

• Like 2