18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

I don't see much hope in us going up this season because of our awful defending. Any promotion side or good team in general have a solid defense as a foundation.

I actually don't think our defense is bad at all, i think it's ok. I just think DS is an awful defensive coach. 

I guess the 20 goals conceded  and the 1 clean sheet in the first 12 games before Smith was here is testament to that.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I guess the 20 goals conceded  and the 1 clean sheet in the first 12 games before Smith was here is testament to that.

Nyland and Jedinak says hi.

Kalinic, Elphick, Chester, Taylor and Hutton/Elmo is fine for championship

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I don't see much hope in us going up this season because of our awful defending. Any promotion side or good team in general have a solid defense as a foundation.

I actually don't think our defense is bad at all, i think it's ok. I just think DS is an awful defensive coach. 

I think our defense is utter shambles and it's all down to Bruce neglecting to assemble one over the summer.

1 CB in the squad + 1 on loan CB he played as a RB because he thought Jedi was a CB.

1 LB in the squad who is just awful + Alan Hutton who is Alan Hutton.

About a billion RB's neither any good.

And behind them a GK who is, let's call him shaky.

Because of this Smith has been forced to play Chester despite him being injured.

Forced to recall Elphick because Alex got injured and for cover.

Buy a new keeper.

Loan in a new CB

And apparently we are still looking to bring in a LB and RB

Our defense is pretty f****n far from OK, as Marsellus Wallace would put it

Now Smith and his coaches might well turn out to be awful at defensive coaching, but so far they have not been given the chance to show if they are or not.

Hutton, Taylor, Elmo and Nyland giving away goals for fun is not down to Smith IMO. I blame the players and Bruce for that.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Nyland and Jedinak says hi.

Kalinic, Elphick, Chester, Taylor and Hutton/Elmo is fine for championship

Axel’s injury returns the greeting.

It’s funny, I thought that Smith also played Nyland in goal. Managed to keep a handful of clean sheets and concede fewer goals. Must be wrong. 

I suppose it’s Smith’s fault that the previous manager played Jedinak in central defence and Axel at right back.

Kalinic is new to country, will take more than two games to settle.

Elphick has only just returned from loan.

If you think Taylor, Hutton and Elmo are ok for the championship then the discussions in their respective threads may come as a surprise to you.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

No photo description available.

This image form 10 years ago shows both how far we have fallen, and also why we need to be patient and stop freaking the f*ck out.

Look at Leicester and Bournemouth?

Both teams which never had the resources we did/do.

You're completely right.

But I still hold onto my birthright to vent and overreact here after every loss until the end of time.

Edited by AVTuco
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, TRO said:

Yeah, i get that....form can be misleading.

just watching his anticipation, decision making and movement.....he does look like a player, where its not surprising he scores goals.

2014- 10

2015 -  13

2016- 27

2017-19

2018-16 so far in the championship

not bad for a free transfer @ 28 don't you think?

bit of a pattern i would say.

Pukki was a weakling before this season. You would not have liked him TRO, I think. He's put on some muscle and is in form, good for him, and a great investment for Norwich. But not a sure thing to succeed here at all.

12 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

This image form 10 years ago shows both how far we have fallen, and also why we need to be patient and stop freaking the f*ck out.

I like this. Look at Bolton, Portsmouth and Sunderland. 

Could always be worse. 

If I have to watch Norwich city be promoted automatically in May I think I will burst into tears. What a sh** team that get so many lucky turns per game. What a monumental **** up we have made as a club. Now placing all my trust faith and support in deano for as long as he's here.

12 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Not really sure this tells us anything about the future prospects for Villa. You have highlighted two clubs who have risen from lowly positions to the premier league (there are more, e.g. Brighton).

But equally there are pl clubs who have sunk lower and stayed low. See Sunderland, Blackburn, Wigan, Portsmouth.

The puzzle is how we avoid becoming like those last four.

21 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Not really sure this tells us anything about the future prospects for Villa. You have highlighted two clubs who have risen from lowly positions to the premier league (there are more, e.g. Brighton).

But equally there are pl clubs who have sunk lower and stayed low. See Sunderland, Blackburn, Wigan, Portsmouth.

The puzzle is how we avoid becoming like those last four.

True.

However I will again point out.

None of them had/have the resources at their disposal we do.

Not even close to be fair.

Fail to win today and it's pretty safe to say that whatever faint hope we still harbor of automatic is dead.

and that would be utterly disappointing considering we're in the middle of January.

Still a lot of season left and IF we can get a few players in at the vital positions we should be able to mount a play off challenge.

Clock's ticking thou.

1 hour ago, AVTuco said:

Pukki was a weakling before this season. You would not have liked him TRO, I think. He's put on some muscle and is in form, good for him, and a great investment for Norwich. But not a sure thing to succeed here at all.

My main point was......we would be paying decent bucks for that record.

We bought Gestede, when he only had one good season...and we paid 5 mill i think.

Norwich have rebuilt well.....lost madden, Hoolihan, pilkington....all decent players and still doing well.

despite our attempts not to ....on the whole we do seem to sign worse than what we already have i.e Taylor, Nyland.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

True.

However I will again point out.

None of them had/have the resources at their disposal we do.

Not even close to be fair.

That’s true, although I think Sunderland have spent a fair old amount of money in getting to League 1.

• Like 1

We need to be patient.

Farke Norwich manager started May 2017 finished in 14th place in first season.

Our squad is unbalanced defence is weak and players like Bolassie and El gazi I don't think are suited to getting promoted from championship.Sorting this out is long term job.

35 minutes ago, sne said:

Fail to win today and it's pretty safe to say that whatever faint hope we still harbor of automatic is dead.

and that would be utterly disappointing considering we're in the middle of January.

Still a lot of season left and IF we can get a few players in at the vital positions we should be able to mount a play off challenge.

Clock's ticking thou.

I think it’s dead anyway, the play offs are going to be a stretch, time and patience let’s hope DS gets some.

4 hours ago, sne said:

I think our defense is utter shambles and it's all down to Bruce neglecting to assemble one over the summer.

1 CB in the squad + 1 on loan CB he played as a RB because he thought Jedi was a CB.

1 LB in the squad who is just awful + Alan Hutton who is Alan Hutton.

About a billion RB's neither any good.

And behind them a GK who is, let's call him shaky.

Because of this Smith has been forced to play Chester despite him being injured.

Forced to recall Elphick because Alex got injured and for cover.

Buy a new keeper.

Loan in a new CB

And apparently we are still looking to bring in a LB and RB

Our defense is pretty f****n far from OK, as Marsellus Wallace would put it

Now Smith and his coaches might well turn out to be awful at defensive coaching, but so far they have not been given the chance to show if they are or not.

Hutton, Taylor, Elmo and Nyland giving away goals for fun is not down to Smith IMO. I blame the players and Bruce for that.

On average throughout his career Dean Smith teams conceed on average around 60 goals per season. Defence is not his strong point, and never has been 

2 minutes ago, KHV said:

On average throughout his career Dean Smith teams conceed on average around 60 goals per season. Defence is not his strong point, and never has been 

That’s absolutely fine. But there seems to be an argument that says we were defensively sound before and since Smith has come in it’s gone to shit which isn’t quite accurate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

My main point was......we would be paying decent bucks for that record.

We bought Gestede, when he only had one good season...and we paid 5 mill i think.

Norwich have rebuilt well.....lost madden, Hoolihan, pilkington....all decent players and still doing well.

despite our attempts not to ....on the whole we do seem to sign worse than what we already have i.e Taylor, Nyland.

Agreed, I just wanted to talk about Pukki.