18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

Just now, Tomaszk said:

Worthwhile post from @SirSteveUK

There seems to be a few comments appearing half-criticising Smith I think. I can't really tell as there's plenty of caveats, maybe it's just criticising the squad we've ended up with.

Hope the sensible people don't get too carried away if we lose tomorrow. Smith has done a brilliant job picking up from the carcrash of Steve Bruce.

This.

I am not over confiedent against Leeds, however I don't think we will lose (I hope).

If we can get 1-1 then it's a fair result, anything more and it's a brilliant result.

A loss and I agree, swiftly forget and prepare for boxing day.

It's Leeds - one of this season's favourites to win the league.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, SirSteveUK said:

Just to clarify our recent fixtures, these are the current positions of the teams that we will have played under Smith including leeds

1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th
7th
8th
9th 
10th
12th
23rd

nice post, this is one reason that im more than happy, look at how many of the top teams we have played the last 10 games, to have as many points as we have the last 10 games....to me.....is pretty impressive, especially under a new manager, learning a new system of play, with no reinforcements from a transfer window, is super impressive in my eyes.

We were all taking about how hard the Nov/Dec fixture list was due to the teams we were due to play, to have won 4 / drawn 3 on the last 7 against all teams in the top 10, is good, and anyone being honest would have taken that if offered it at the end of October, no doubt. (15 points out of a possible 21 against some really tough teams)

I just hope and pray that once the leeds game is over, we continue the good form vs the next run of 10 games (Swansea, PNE, QPR, Wigan, Hull, Ipswich, Reading, Sheff Utd, Brentford, WBA), i think the real test will now be what we can do in those 10 games, mostly against teams we should beat on paper - (we should prob beat 7 or 8 of those 10 if we play as we should/are capable of? - the other 2 we could win depending on how we perform on the night).

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We shouldn't fear Leeds, that's ridicilous. They aren't world beaters

We're more than capable in beating them.

We are not fearing anyone, was thinking more in terms of our own personnel.

Jack out and apparantly so is Tuanzebe (according to a member with only 35 posts).

So,on that basis I think we need to look at the reality and equally we are not invincible.

I love your post though. Makes a change from the usual negative vibe you give off.

Have a christmas 'like'.

12 hours ago, hippo said:

stoke were lower half when we played them.

With yesterday's win they are now 11 games unbeaten in the championship....

Need to look at how other teams are doing for context with form...seems like Forest haven't won a game since the 5-5...Derby have drawn their last two home games and Sheffield United lost at home to WBA and drew with Ipswich yesterday.

We are doing o.k. Top 2 remains a long shot (pretty much over if Leeds win today) but we are well in the play off mix.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

We are not fearing anyone, was thinking more in terms of our own personnel.

Jack out and apparantly so is Tuanzebe (according to a member with only 35 posts).

So,on that basis I think we need to look at the reality and equally we are not invincible.

I love your post though. Makes a change from the usual negative vibe you give off.

Have a christmas 'like'.

I'm not more positive but nothing i've seen from Leeds this season makes me fear them. They aren't blowing teams away.

Axel is not out, that's just a random guy on twitter that posted. Jack is a big blow and im not a fan of Whelan, but that just means that our other players need to step up

12 hours ago, hippo said:

so what ?  ...we can,t just beat the dross and hope for promotion ...we havent closed the gap on the top six, because we arent winning back to back games - ok we have a run of easier fixtures coming up - but we can't keep drawing at home and pretend everything is falling into place....

Have you seen their squad?! Joe Allen is better than any CM we have, arguably Ryan Woods aswell. Butland better than our keepers. Defences are much the same.

They just had a slow start to the season and also have a pragmatic manager which means they draw more than they should. BTW they went to Norwich and won in October...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

I'm not more positive but nothing i've seen from Leeds this season makes me fear them. They aren't blowing teams away.

Axel is not out, that's just a random guy on twitter that posted. Jack is a big blow and im not a fan of Whelan, but that just means that our other players need to step up

I will follow your optimist bangwagon.  

Let's hope you're right in your assumption.

Feels like last season a little bit, we lose Jack (and to a lesser extent Adomah) just when we have momentum for top 2. We don't win the games they miss and fall off the pace.

With Jack out I'm far less confident of beating Leeds as we were so slow moving the ball to Bolaise and El Ghazi last week without him and doubt we'll beat Leeds through the middle.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Feels like last season a little bit, we lose Jack (and to a lesser extent Adomah) just when we have momentum for top 2. We don't win the games they miss and fall off the pace.

With Jack out I'm far less confident of beating Leeds as we were so slow moving the ball to Bolaise and El Ghazi last week without him and doubt we'll beat Leeds through the middle.

Exactly.

I was never expecting automatic promotion.

Purslow said that promotion is not a must for this season so i am pretty calm about this season.

Dean Smith needs to lay down is foundations and build a squad that can challenge without the reliance on loan players.

Our defence is severely weak. I think that Chester is declining also.

Fair play to leeds they have a squad that have been hit by injuries and they have managed to pull off a result like this.