18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

1 minute ago, abdulaziz1 said:

In terms of points, we’re fine. But in terms of fixtures (and circumstances) we dropped two important points today. We aren’t playing well. We are shaky at the back.

We were bad since the beginning of the season. I don’t mind winning with a bad style. But atleast when I know we have choices. You can’t compare us to Middlesbrough nor WBA, let alone Leeds.

We have the easiest fuxtures, its only going to get harder.

Our squad is one of the best (yes we’re short in couple of areas but many teams are).

Actually we need to gain as much points as possible, to be up there during January and see how it goes.

Many teams are still unbeatable (Rovers who just promoted for example). So its not a sign of being good.

Hope things get better. A win against Brentford would make our hopes up again, and would give us the results we were happy to have for the first 4 games.

Yep, that’s fine.

I’m just setting a target for August that I think would be considered a good return. I reckon 11 would be fairly positive and that most of us would have been reasonably happy with that before the season started.

1 minute ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Yep, that’s fine.

I’m just setting a target for August that I think would be considered a good return. I reckon 11 would be fairly positive and that most of us would have been reasonably happy with that before the season started.

I think it would be fine, although considering the teams, I think we could get 12 points easily (I know it doesn’t count like that) but today was really painful.

Boro, Leeds and WBA arent willing to stop either.

It’s going to be a long long season. I don’t know how are we going to handle our hard run. Bruce needs to sort something out.

Last season we were good while defending, now we’re bad in every area.

Bad goal keeping, bad defending, (while having the best midfielders since god knows how long) we keep playing without shape, bad in attacking.

In other circumstances I wouldnt worry as we’re scoring, but even scoring is by either luck or indivual play (recently delivered by McGin).

I’m one of the most optimistic people btw, so I don’t think I’m overreacting, although today was very painful which may make us overreact.

@abdulaziz1 I don’t think you’re overreacting or being overly negative and I agree, today was definitely points dropped.

I’m just taking a slightly philosophical stance on it and think that, while on paper all the games in August could be deemed “winnable”, it wasn’t realistic that Villa would win all five, so 4-6 more points from this month would be a good/very good return.

The performances are a problem and will prove to be even more so against stronger opposition at this rate. But I’m really only talking in actual points terms, given the way the team is playing, 11 from 15 would be very decent (imo).

• Like 1

Two points dropped today. We really should be beating a team that were down to ten men for the entire second half. We need to beat Brentford now to keep pace at the top of the table and we need those loan signings as soon as we can get them in. We need reinforcements at the back and up front urgently.

• Like 1

We would really need to pull off some brilliant loan deals if we are to go up. Otherwise it's going to be a slog to get into the playoffs with the inevitable playoff final loss to conclude the season. 

• Like 1

Stoke drew with Preston. A good result as Stoke could turn out as a threat, therefore them losing points is always good.

If we sort ourselves out in the window, while getting points and our opponents somehow lose him, we would have a chance if we turn it around like last season.

If we can go to January while being around the top 2 we could somehow improve ourselves by then (we could sell couple of players so we can spend). We can sell Adomah, Lansbury, Thor or Whelan. Which could give us a space of 7-10m. 

But not to gamble again if we’re a bit far.

One positive way of looking at it (which I acknowledge will likely be shot down) is that we were playing poorly in the first three games last season too and only picked up one point compared to this season’s seven.

Ok the opposition isn’t exactly like for like, we haven’t played a Cardiff like we did this time last season. But the two Hull games are obviously comparable, Reading proved to be relegation candidates, quite possibly like how either Wigan or Ipswich may prove to be too.

So it could be argued of the three games we’ve played two are similar opposition and we’ve got six extra points on the board.

Performances eventually got better last season, results did too. Results so far have been decent already, so hopefully the improved performances will follow and maintain a good points tally.

• Like 1

Amazing that after 2 years, four transfer windows and two full pre-seasons we still have a squad with gaping holes, players looking like they have never met each other and no cohesion. We are not going up this season.

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

We'll come top if they get Michael Laudrup in quick enough.

Interesting suggestion and gettable.

Stolen from wiki: 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Laudrup

As assistant manager to Morten Olsen, the Denmark national team employed a 4–2–3–1 system with pacey wingers playing the pivotal role in attack. Laudrup learnt from Olsen and used the same tactical style with Brøndby, with the team becoming more attacking and focused on a short passing style

Edited by dounavilla
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mykeyb said:

Brentford next..........we could get a lesson in playing football

After watching Romaine Sawyers and Ollie Watkins run riot against Stoke in game in went to we really need to watch out for those two!

Their summer signings all like very good players and i would be suprised if we win to be honest as Brentford play some very good football and Stoke just could not handle them specially the two i mentioned who was best 2 players on the pitch.

We need to watch Watkins at all times that kid will be playing in Premiership very soon!!

Edited by Villan4Life

3 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

One positive way of looking at it (which I acknowledge will likely be shot down) is that we were playing poorly in the first three games last season too and only picked up one point compared to this season’s seven.

Ok the opposition isn’t exactly like for like, we haven’t played a Cardiff like we did this time last season. But the two Hull games are obviously comparable, Reading proved to be relegation candidates, quite possibly like how either Wigan or Ipswich may prove to be too.

So it could be argued of the three games we’ve played two are similar opposition and we’ve got six extra points on the board.

Performances eventually got better last season, results did too. Results so far have been decent already, so hopefully the improved performances will follow and maintain a good points tally.

Comparing our results this season with last we drew at Hull last season and won there this time so that left us up two points. We won at home to all of the relegated clubs and did the same against one of the teams that replaced them (Wigan) last weekend. Today we lost the two points we had gained having drawn at Ipswich where we had won last year. For me we are now pretty much where we were last season. A win against Brentford (it's high time we beat them) would put us two points up on last season again. :)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, John said:

Comparing our results this season with last we drew at Hull last season and won there this time so that left us up two points. We won at home to all of the relegated clubs and did the same against one of the teams that replaced them (Wigan) last weekend. Today we lost the two points we had gained having drawn at Ipswich where we had won last year. For me we are now pretty much where we were last season. A win against Brentford (it's high time we beat them) would put us two points up on last season again. :)

Last seaon we won all the six games against the relegated clubs. We won at home to all the promoted teams too. But lost away. 

27 points vs teams not in the Championship this seaon. I don't think it's realistic to get that many points this season. If the target is to do better, or the same as last season, we have to do better against the teams we played. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, villa82 said:

Last seaon we won all the six games against the relegated clubs. We won at home to all the promoted teams too. But lost away. 

27 points vs teams not in the Championship this seaon. I don't think it's realistic to get that many points this season. 

Who said that we need to be realistic? :D I didn't get where I am today by being realistic. Let's win all of our remaining games! ;)

• Like 1

Early days yet but if we can add another 2 or 3 loan signings to boost our options then there’s no reason we can’t be up there at the end of the season - we have made a solid start but really need to capitalise on these 2 home games this week - win those and we will be off to a flier . 

• Like 4