18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

• 2 weeks later...

Well this promotion thing might just be back on again with yesterday's upturn in our fortunes. If we manage to hold onto the players we were most reluctant to see go and bring in a couple of players on loan with an option to buy we may well have a decent run at promotion again this season after all. Perhaps it's worth an optimistic punt (I thought so) with the turf accountants (Coral still have us at 9/2 for promotion and at 14/1 for the title for example). Although they are seldom wrong, I think they might have been a bit slow in reacting to our new overlords ambitions to make Villa great again on this occasion.

Bookies have us priced at 8/13 to finish in the top half this season.

Im not a betting person and im fairly pessimistic when it comes to Villa, but to me, thats very good value for money.

I notice also that since Fridays announcement, our relegation odds have gone out to 11/1 from 8/1.

23 hours ago, John said:

Well this promotion thing might just be back on again with yesterday's upturn in our fortunes. If we manage to hold onto the players we were most reluctant to see go and bring in a couple of players on loan with an option to buy we may well have a decent run at promotion again this season after all. Perhaps it's worth an optimistic punt (I thought so) with the turf accountants (Coral still have us at 9/2 for promotion and at 14/1 for the title for example). Although they are seldom wrong, I think they might have been a bit slow in reacting to our new overlords ambitions to make Villa great again on this occasion.

I got in on 22/1 for the title yesterday. Now the odds at the same bookie is 14/1

• Like 2

I'm hoping for an automatic spot. Those playoffs are too much of an end of season lottery for me and can have a grim conclusion as we found to our cost last season. It's great that our new overlords have installed such positivity isn't it? This time last week I would have targeted a mid table finish and keeping out of administration. I'm now hoping for automatic rather than the playoffs. The swings and roundabouts of being a Villa fan eh? :D

• Like 1

Steer

Hutton Chester Elphick De Laet

Thor

Hourihane Grealish

Adomah Green

Kodjia

Subs: Bunn, Taylor, Lansbury, RHM, Davis, O'Hare, Elmo (?)

Tell me that team won't be challenging at the top of the table. Even if we lose a few from this squad (I've already assumed Jedinak and Hogan will not be with us at the start of the season, and definitely not Jack or Kodjia), we should be up there.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Steer

Thor

Hourihane Grealish

Adomah Green

Kodjia

Tell me that team won't be challenging at the top of the table. Even if we lose a few from this squad (I've already assumed Jedinak and Hogan will not be with us at the start of the season, and definitely not Jack or Kodjia), we should be up there.

More than capable. Only weak link in that team is Elphick.

7 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Steer

Thor

Hourihane Grealish

Adomah Green

Kodjia

Definitely need to add another quality centre back 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Definitely need to add another quality centre back 

Creativity up front is needed as well. Even if we scored our share last season, lack of creativity was a problem for long spells. And with Snodgrass gone, we are even worse off now. I'm not completely sold with Green, and Adomah needs to stay on his preferred left side.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Steer

Thor

Hourihane Grealish

Adomah Green

Kodjia

Isnt hogan injured for few months? 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, rendelc said:

Just bought total points 69.5 @£10 a point . So if we finish on 75 points I win £55 . Or if we finish on 60 points I will lose £95.   Keep the faith ?

You've made your point.

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Sky's predictor league has us finishing 9th. The current squad is agree. We need about 4 players. Can't see that happening myself.

The loan window is open till 31st. That is our real deadline. 

I can easily see that many but most will be done the last few days.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Sky's predictor league has us finishing 9th. The current squad is agree. We need about 4 players. Can't see that happening myself.

Well if Kodjia gets firing again, Adomah get his form big and Green was up for it.

We might get away with it if we got a proper CB. Assuming couple of the young players step up (particularly Callum, Jake, Eiasah and RHM).

But thats a dangerous approach to the season, it wont be as easy as last season and we are missing arguably our most important player last season in the attacking side.