18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

On ‎28‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 22:01, BOF said:

It's not so much the financial need with those 2.  I just think they'll be hard to hold on to.  Hourihane is a prolific centre mid, and the Premier League likes those.  Grealish is obviously a one-off and he'll have a lot of interest.  We may have to dig our heels in at some point if we want to keep either of them.

id be flabbergasted if a premier league team came after Hourihane and would gladly take a premier league type fee for him if one came

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Thanks for the kind words pal :thumb:

Yeah i think tuanzebe is back in summer if reports are true. Hopefully bruce actually plays him cb not rb! If definitely keep elphick like you say. Hopefully chester sticks around as well then maybe we might only need one cb or promote a youngster.

The problem with green is he is so injury prone its unreal. We definitely need another winger.  As much as I like snodds he was too friggin slow. Also i noticed as the season went on his set pieces got worse and worse. He was shite in the final as well. 

Terry for will be the big loss his leadership is critical here. We need a solid cm whelan  and jedinak are too old. We saw that in the cup final with jedinak his weaknesses. He should be a impact sub. Id try flog whelan  off. I also think its time to sue lansbury more.

The problem is I don't see where the signings will come from. We have to sell before we can bring anyone in if this supposed 40m hole is true 

totally agree with snoddy... as the season wore on he seemed to become slower and slower...  the way we play we need pace out wide

I preferred us playing with Thor as the DM as we were more fluid in the middle of the park...  while not as strong as Jedi I was surprised how good his positioning was, for me this is the way forward and either Jedi or Whelan to close out the game off the bench when needed.   Maybe even replace Terry with Jedi?

at this point in time. Im pretty sceptical of the 40m number...  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Skills said:

totally agree with snoddy... as the season wore on he seemed to become slower and slower...  the way we play we need pace out wide

I preferred us playing with Thor as the DM as we were more fluid in the middle of the park...  while not as strong as Jedi I was surprised how good his positioning was, for me this is the way forward and either Jedi or Whelan to close out the game off the bench when needed.   Maybe even replace Terry with Jedi?

I dont want jedinak at cb. He is far too slow and his positioning as a cb is really poor at times. We need a solid quick cb.

As for the 40m its being reported everywhere bit i am starting to think their may be a media agenda here.

They said it would be a crisis when we went down and we survived. I just cant deal with all this negative press its like they want to try ruin the club.

3 hours ago, Skills said:

I dont want jedinak at cb. He is far too slow and his positioning as a cb is really poor at times. We need a solid quick cb.

As for the 40m its being reported everywhere bit i am starting to think their may be a media agenda here.

They said it would be a crisis when we went down and we survived. I just cant deal with all this negative press its like they want to try ruin the club.

• Like 1

I’m still gutted about Saturday but the more I think about it I think regardless of who we sell I think we could have a push next year. I honestly don’t see any of the sides in this league having big budgets and I include the relegated teams in that. The sides coming down will be burdened with massive wage bills and only stoke really have any sellable assets. 

The sides in the league already I don’t see any improving, the likes of derby have slashed there budget so I think even with the restrictions our budget will be higher than most in the league so if we are sensible (big if) we could get a side to challenge. This league is going to be so much weaker next season including us so I think it’s all relative. 

Edited by punkiller1981

23 hours ago, Darth Villa said:

I think you've hit the nail on the head @Eastie, the only man whose opinion and wealth really matters is Xia. He seems truly passionate about our club and he went for the arguably "logical" (but not risk free) approach on paper when backing Bruce to secure promotion for a 5th time.

I genuinely hope he (Xia) sticks around as I think he could redevelop the club and local area to give us a fighting chance of truly competing with the very best in the longer-term.

As you suggested, it will be interesting to watch events unfold on and off the pitch this summer.

Other than blind faith - where does that hope come from ? even Randy refurbed the holte pub,  the training ground, and a pretty mosiac - Xia has done nothing in this area - people think his recon company is constructing cities across the globe, nothing to support that  - Recon buy and sell companies - Villa look to be on his sell list now

The recon website still has the story about aquiring millenuim films on its website - even though the deal collapsed months ago - I fear we are being hoodwinked.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, punkiller1981 said:

I’m still gutted about Saturday but the more I think about it I think regardless of who we sell I think we could have a push next year. I honestly don’t see any of the sides in this league having big budgets and I include the relegated teams in that. The sides coming down will be burdened with massive wage bills and only stoke really have any sellable assets. 

The sides in the league already I don’t see any improving, the likes of derby have slashed there budget so I think even with the restrictions our budget will be higher than most in the league so if we are sensible (big if) we could get a side to challenge. This league is going to be so much weaker next season including us so I think it’s all relative. 

Speaking to a baggies fan tonight - reckons that every contract has a wage reduction on relegation.

38 minutes ago, hippo said:

Other than blind faith - where does that hope come from ? even Randy refurbed the holte pub,  the training ground, and a pretty mosiac - Xia has done nothing in this area - people think his recon company is constructing cities across the globe, nothing to support that  - Recon buy and sell companies - Villa look to be on his sell list now

The recon website still has the story about aquiring millenuim films on its website - even though the deal collapsed months ago - I fear we are being hoodwinked.

Blind faith doesn't come into this in my opinion. Recon is definitely an odd ball mix of assets with little real track record but you can point the same accusations at some other better known businesses such as Tesla. Which is worth a fortune despite failing to deliver against production targets.

I don't believe Xia is taking us for a ride but equally he does speculate to accumulate and what none of us can know is what the cut off point is for the Villa in his portfolio.

His latest statement seemingly indicates that he's willing to accept a shift in approach as Plan A hasn't worked, let's see what Plan B looks like and then draw our conclusions. Randy got screwed by his divorce and the 2008 financial crisis. Xia seemingly had £500m in cash to support us when buying the club and FFP restrictions aside, I can't see any other reasons for him having the same problems as Randy.

if however we are being taken for fools, you'll find me at the head of the mob aiming to remove the current Chairman and CEO from our beloved club!

Edited by Darth Villa

20 hours ago, Skills said:

Just like Sunderland, Hull and Boro last season?   or maybe like us the year before?  

I think we all agree its very difficult to bounce straight back up

Quite right.

They usually come down mentally tarnished.....Newcastle were an exception.

we come down fit for division 1 in terms of mental approach, just like Sunderland.

most teams in our division rekindle the fight, lets just hope we are one of them.

21 minutes ago, Darth Villa said:

Blind faith doesn't come into this in my opinion. Recon is definitely an odd ball mix of assets with little real track record but you can point the same accusations at some other better known businesses such as Tesla. Which is worth a fortune despite failing to deliver against production targets.

I don't believe Xia is taking us for a ride but equally he does speculate to accumulate and what none of us can know is what the cut off point is for the Villa in his portfolio.

His latest statement seemingly indicates that he's willing to accept a shift in approach as Plan A hasn't worked, let's see what Plan B looks like and then draw our conclusions. Randy got screwed by his divorce and the 2008 financial crisis. Xia seemingly had £500m in cash to support us when buying the club and FFP restrictions aside, I can't see any other reasons for him having the same problems as Randy.

if however we are being taken for fools, you'll find me at the head of the mob aiming to remove the current Chairman and CEO from our beloved club!

Too much speculation, is a dangerous thing.

I agree,  the genuine attempt did not get us over the line.....now a rethink is required, plan B as you call it.

interesting to see what it comprises of.

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Speaking to a baggies fan tonight - reckons that every contract has a wage reduction on relegation.

If we had been smart we would of put a failure to be promoted clause in the contracts of players we signed ...

• Like 2

On 30/05/2018 at 07:20, terrytini said:

Very well said.

Not aimed at any particular Poster but it amazes me how ready some are to assume we are doomed. In my view, far from it. We are just in a battle,mwhich is surely the point of watching in the first place ?

Doomed -no , but I think some need to perhaps lower expectation levels next season , we are going to be a weaker side and perhaps without so much pressure of having to get promotion the players may play with a bit more freedom -  I for one am not expecting automatic promotion next season as I was this year - if it takes 2 or 3 years to rebuild and bring through the youth players then so be it - quick fixes  are no longer on the table .

Edited by Eastie

8 hours ago, TRO said:

Too much speculation, is a dangerous thing.

I agree,  the genuine attempt did not get us over the line.....now a rethink is required, plan B as you call it.

interesting to see what it comprises of.

This is true but people must be prepared to accept this rethink may take 2 or 3 years to come to fruition and be prepared to give the new manager time . 

8 hours ago, Darth Villa said:

My point was that Recon aren't building cities across the globe - TBF the club shop was refitted last year I believe. Infastructure is outside FFP  - where is the imagination ? - Years ago Ellis built the Aston Villa leisure - and the Indoor cricket centres  - Xia chose RDM from and open field - whether you like Bruce or not he sort of fell into villa park as an available option. 

19 minutes ago, hippo said:

My point was that Recon aren't building cities across the globe - TBF the club shop was refitted last year I believe. Infastructure is outside FFP  - where is the imagination ? - Years ago Ellis built the Aston Villa leisure - and the Indoor cricket centres  - Xia chose RDM from and open field - whether you like Bruce or not he sort of fell into villa park as an available option. 

I agree with your points @hippo and suspect Xia's Plan A was invest £150m, get promoted and work with Brum Council to redevelop Aston alongside Villa Park as that's where the truly big £billions money would come in and prove the credentials of Recon all in one go. 

FFP and failure to secure promotion has scuppered that so Plan B is reaching the same goal but working within the financially constrained FFP regulations. That's the fundamental change, different road, same ultimate destination. 

Beyond that, speculation is somewhat pointless at this time as we've no real idea of how the new financial constraints will impact the squad. A tad frustrating but Wyness indicated that contingencies were looked at, so keep everything crossed as August will soon come around.

1 hour ago, Darth Villa said:

I agree with your points @hippo and suspect Xia's Plan A was invest £150m, get promoted and work with Brum Council to redevelop Aston alongside Villa Park as that's where the truly big £billions money would come in and prove the credentials of Recon all in one go. 

FFP and failure to secure promotion has scuppered that so Plan B is reaching the same goal but working within the financially constrained FFP regulations. That's the fundamental change, different road, same ultimate destination. 

Beyond that, speculation is somewhat pointless at this time as we've no real idea of how the new financial constraints will impact the squad. A tad frustrating but Wyness indicated that contingencies were looked at, so keep everything crossed as August will soon come around.

But FFP doesn't affect infrastructure. So if he really wants to and can afford to rebuild Aston he can............. Over to you Tony.....