Battlefield 5

PieFacE

27 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I'm really unsure about this game. There's sooooo much visual noise all over the place it's really hard to see people. The sound all seems a bit off and I can never seem to tell where i'm getting shot from even with good headphones. Dunno if it will be day 1 for me after playing the beta, tis fun, but will get boring quick. Just more of the same really.

Exactly my thoughts too. Difficult to see people. Almost feels like a COD game. Nothing like BF1 in my opinion. Maybe they did delay the release cuz there's loads of work to be done. 

11 minutes ago, dubbs said:

Exactly my thoughts too. Difficult to see people. Almost feels like a COD game. Nothing like BF1 in my opinion. Maybe they did delay the release cuz there's loads of work to be done. 

They delayed it because the games pre-order figures are 85% lower than Black Ops 4. Battlefield V would have been dead on arrival had they kept their launch date so close to Red Dead Redemption 2 so they delayed it. I mean even with this delay Battlefield V will likely be the worst selling Battlefield in over a decade. 

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

I'm really unsure about this game. There's sooooo much visual noise all over the place it's really hard to see people. The sound all seems a bit off and I can never seem to tell where i'm getting shot from even with good headphones. Dunno if it will be day 1 for me after playing the beta, tis fun, but will get boring quick. Just more of the same really.

You know what? you're totally correct. Just had a few games and i was even struggling to see the markers for the flags/objectives on the screen. I'm usually into anything battlefield, but something just feels off. I'm not saying it's a bad game because i can see the improvements, but it's definitely not there just yet.

My issue at the start seemed to be i was hitting lots of people and racking up a bit of a score but not killing anyone, agree with it being a ball ache at times to see people

I felt the same as i do with pretty much every online shooter ive ever played to be honest, didnt really like my set up, not 100% sure of the map, some stupid deaths, some rage when i shot a bloke 9 times and he shot me once and i died, the medic thing is a waste of time because no one plays as a medic and worst of all i joined a game half way through and finished 2nd for flags captured, no one plays the objectives, got a good score, think i finished on something like 22 deaths 23 kills but about 4th overall, there was a guy on my squad who finished 1st for flags he played the same as me which was lucky and unusual 

Still need to play a big operations game, thats what i loved avout BF1

I think they need to balance things a bit. DICE are amazing developers, and they want to provide the best visual experience they can, but sometimes that can be detrimental to the gameplay and I feel that's the case in this game. 

A few things, and I agree largely with what people have said;

1. Spotting people is difficult.  It seems the further away they are, there is a kinda of "fog of war" almost, in that they are grainy.  It's a bit like a "fish eye" view of the world, everything feels quite distant.  I'm sure with time you can overcome things like that though, and it's the same for everyone.  I set my field of view to 90 and did slightly better.

2. The sound is "off".  It's a known bug is the official line.  General background noise is intermittent and enemy/friendly sounds are too.  Not sure why, but at least they know about it. One thing I am confident with DICE is their sound team.  I think they're widely regarded as best in business for sound design etc, so I'm confident this will be ironed out, if not before the end of BETA.

3. The movement is very fluid.  Maybe too much so that you don't feel weighty.  I kinda like the freedom, but I found if I was "ADAD-ing" in a building, I'd fall down a level or move somewhere I didn't really want to go.  Just got to get used to it I guess.  I did however, love the fact that jumping through windows is now much easier.  

4. Gunplay - seems solid.  I like tap firing the guns so they are on point at range.  I like that my bullets go where they are meant to. I only used the support weapons, and they seem fun to use.  What I DON'T like, is the lack of customisation IN GAME.  Having to quit out of a server to change/upgrade the statistical side of the gun, is really bad design.  I didn't want to leave my squad, so I put up with having a rubbish gun for 4 games.  How silly is that?  The unlockable skill tree's are a bit strange.  I loved the BF4/3 model of "use a gun, kill 10 people, unlock a grip. Kill 10 more people, unlock a sight.  Kill 10 more people and unlock a muzzle".  I don't see why they've gone down a skill tree route, where once you choose a way to improve the gun, you're stuck with that choice until you start from the beginning again.  Seems very anti-intuitive.  But, I'll give it the benefit of doubt and see how it goes  bit more.

5.  Frame rate on PS4 is okay on Narvik, but borderline bad on Rotterdam.  I only play on PS4, so I know I'm never going to get a solid 60 FPS, but Id expect more than 40, doesn't seem to be happening.  Maybe more optimisation before launch could help. 

6. Revives - seems quite cool, but not being able to drag your buddy is hindering it's use somewhat.  They need to get the buddy drag in ASAP. 

Overall, it's fun, but it's not brilliant yet.  Still some tweaks to be made, I still need to get used to the game, I still need to get used to the maps, the pacing of the game. 

This build is quite old now though, and apparently there is a much better build sitting on DICE's desk, but you can only go on what you see. 

• Like 1

Meh. I'm calling it. This game is going to be shit for me. Already bored of the BETA in just a few hours of playing. The whole arcade shooter thing just does nothing for me anymore. Spawn, die, spawn, get a few kills, die..... meh. Maybe their BR mode will be good but i'm not sure they will pull it off. If it's as hard to see people in that as it is in the BETA it's going to be a camp-fest.

Honestly, I think the new COD BR mode looks way more interesting.

Edited by PieFacE

yeah i turned off a game on the snow map after about 20 minutes last night, just wasn't feeling it at all

i still think that operations or whatever the massive map where you push the frontline back and have 3 waves to complete it was called is the most enjoyable game mode of any online shooter so that might sway me

I'm a big Battlefield fan but yet to get into the Beta. I'm finding adjusting for the slower pace much harder than expected and teamwork seems to be much more important but the playerbase seems to be worse than bf1

Some of the bugs are massive, which are kind of expected in a beta, but are so frustrating

Think this will be like bf4 where it was a mess for 12 months on release but ended up being brilliant, which is worrying 

I preferred this game in the Closed Alpha.

The more things they add to the game the worse it gets and that's not good. The Closed Alpha was super bare bones there was no upgrade tree and no visual customisation it was just a straight forward WW2 shooter with limited ammo, limited health and player ability on the battlefield being the most important metric. 

Now this game feels like it was built by people that don't understand balance at all. The upgrade tree is an abomination. This tree offers flat buffs to DPS/Accuracy with zero de-buffs to counter the choices a player makes. How is that balanced? Sure they can say that everyone will have these upgrades, but what about those that get the game at Christmas? What about those that play the game slightly less than others? Is it fair on them to face STG 44's that are absolutely more powerful than their STG 44 that doesn't have upgrades yet? How anyone at DICE thought this was a good idea is beyond me.

They keep tweaking how med kits and ammo capacity work which is concerning that they still don't know what they want from the attrition system. Part of me feels like the system is redundant if they keep peeling back layers of it. In the Closed Alpha the attrition system was brutal you had very little health and next to no ammo, but as they roll out new builds it feels like the attrition system is slowly being phased out. The only thing that makes Battlefield V different is that system and removing it, or making it less impactful will make those already claiming Battlefield V is a re-skinned Battlefield 1 less likely to play it. 

I enjoy elements of Battlefield V, but I definitely enjoyed it more in the Closed Alpha. I feel that every addition they make to the game just makes it worse. 

• Like 1

I don't think I like it.  And that makes me really sad.  BF is more or less the only game I play.  I haven't played BF1 in about 3 months and this Beta, to me, was hugely exciting. 

I forgave them for the disabled woman soldier on the front lines in the terrible opening trailer. 

I have defended them against morons online about a few issues like customisation etc.  Because I knew the game would be good. 

It's a Beta.  I know there are things about it which will change, especially because it's a DICE game and they can flip a game on it's head whenever they feel like it. 

But, it's just an irritating game.  It seems to lack logic. The design doesn't match up to the mechanics.  The levels can be frustrating. chaotic experiences because they don't "flow" well.  I know that if I don't die straight away, I'll do well.  If I die towards the beginning, I'll do badly, because the flow of the game is catch up.  

The sound on my headphones isn't giving me the information I get in bf4/bf1.  I can't hear enemies, but they seemingly hear me.  I've gone through my settings and all appears to be fine.  I get shot in the arse all the time, by STGs and Sten guns and nothing else. 

I fall through the floors in building because the upstairs in them isn't big enough to step more than twice in any direction.  

I plainly cannot see enemies.  I don't know which direction people are shooting from.  I can't hear or see tanks, they just appear on my kill screen.  The movement is so fluid, there is no weight to the soldier compared to bf4 (it started getting a bit too fluid in bf1).  

The guns are insanely accurate, which is great, but I can't see anyone to shoot.  The contrast between light and dark is so vast, if I'm in a building it's pitch black, if I look out of a window, I can't see anything because of sun bloom.  

It's insane.  It's artistic design over anything resembling game play.  

The maps are gorgeous, but there's so much crap to hide behind or around, you best not enter the buildings because you'll just get shot in the arse from someone sitting in the corner.  That's bad map design.  Maps need cover, they don't need long boats with multiple crates, canvases blowing around, pigeons moving around, dust and paper blowing around.. It's mental. 

I really wanna like this game - it's more or less all I have left with regards to gaming.  It looks great, the sounds (when they work) are amazing.  But it just doesn't play well at the moment.  Rotterdam is a ****.  It's huge and open, interspersed with insanely narrow and tight parts like D flag, the buildings and the bridge - it's a bad Amiens at the moment, and it's not gonna change. 

Narvik is ok, but is frustrating on daytime because you can't see tracers, so you just have to hope the cover you find has your cover between you and the recon trying to pop you. 

Putting the date back on this is the only thing saving it, because there's an awful lot of work to be done. 

• Like 2

Personally, I'd like to see spotting return but only your squad mates can see who you spot. I think that's a fair compromise.  Anyone should also be able to spot vehicles too.

You're totally right about tanks Lapal,  the number of times I've turned around just to see a tank staring at me but I could barely hear it is stupid. 

I really do think they've **** it up.

Waaaay too much visual clutter all over the place. DICE need to rein their artists in a bit I think. What looks pretty doesn't really make fun to play. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Personally, I'd like to see spotting return but only your squad mates can see who you spot. I think that's a fair compromise.  Anyone should also be able to spot vehicles too.

You're totally right about tanks Lapal,  the number of times I've turned around just to see a tank staring at me but I could barely hear it is stupid. 

I really do think they've **** it up.

Waaaay too much visual clutter all over the place. DICE need to rein their artists in a bit I think. What looks pretty doesn't really make fun to play. 

And then after my ranting post I play with a mate who's pretty good at BF games and I go 30-9 with a shotgun/rifle (m40 drilling) and it's a great game, loads of great moments and I love it again..

God. Damn. Battlefield. 

But @PieFacE I totally agree.  It says something that the alpha had TONNES of falling snow, and this one only has a little, and it's still too much :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I just went back to battelfield 1 after not playing it for well over 12 months. It's great, I'm really enjoying it. ?

As for Battlefield V, It's all about ray tracing. Forget gameplay or mechanics or spotting or map design or guns or teamwork or game modes or FPS or classes. It's all about being able to see the reflection of flames in a pool of water. That's what people really want.  

Edited by villa89

• 1 month later...

It's in a better state than the beta, but I have to say, I'm still not enjoying it that much. The whole format is just... Boring. Battle Royale is just so much more fun to play than the traditional team v team gameplay. There's no concequence to dying in BF as you can spawn straight back in, and it makes the whole experience seem really dull. In Battle Royale games you get way more excitement and andrenaline rushes. There's absolutely none of that in BF. It's a good game, visuals and sound are lovely, but the mechanics have been done before 1000x times and quite boring. I'll stick with Blackout till Firestorm in March. 

Edited by PieFacE

Â