What's your tipple this evening then?

coda

11 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I can't read the bottle, haven't seen it before, what is it?

Blantons gold edition single barrell bourbon. Original single barrel is one of my favourites, This is almost double the price so ignored it for sometime but finally got tempted with the money I won of sky bet betting on the Villa last week

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Risso said:

Was that the stuff they launched in the mid 90s?  The only difference I remember was that when poured in the pub it came out with a bit of a head on it. Otherwise it tasted exactly the same, ie of absolutely nothing. Fizzy yellow water.

I think it must be. I thought it was discontinued long ago. It does that Guinness thing whilst it’s settling. It’s smoother and slightly stronger at 4.7% abv.

I won’t be rushing to buy more but I’m glad I did to revisit an old drink from simpler times.

I don't actually like whiskey. At all.

But...

I was intrigued by Don Draper from Mad Men and his penchant for an "Old fashioned". A lot of them.

When we were on a cruise a few years back I asked the barman to do us an Old Fashioned, I mean the booze was included so why not?

I was surprised to find I liked it.

This week after being given a bottle of whiskey I don't like, I decided to get the ingredients to make an Old Fashioned.

The half bottle of whiskey is almost gone after two nights ;)

• Haha 2

The Christmas beers are open

Bitburger winterbock, normal Bitburger is a pils, this is a 7% helles bockbier and its great, highly recommended

Also got a warsteiner winter edition which looks like a darker beer closer to what they call a Keller bier which I'm interested in because I don't understand warsteiners popularity, its a big international beer but its gassy and one of germanys worst beers (becks too) then a monschof weinachtbier (Christmas beer) monschof do a very underrated helles

• Like 3

Staying in, and I don’t normally drink at home, but sort of on a whim picked up a couple of bottles of Peroni from the supermarket yesterday. For a generic, mass produced lager, it’s not bad. 

35 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I don't understand warsteiners popularity, its a big international beer but its gassy and one of germanys worst beers

I really like Warsteiner, easily my favourite of all the bottled premium lagers. In a pub I only want cask ale, but at home, in the Summer, it's Warsteiner. Just finishing the stash, before I switch to bottled British ales for the Winter. 

Edited by mjmooney

16 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I really like Warsteiner, easily my favourite of all the bottled premium lagers. In a pub I only want cask ale, but at home, in the Summer, it's Warsteiner. Just finishing the stash, before I switch to bottled British ales for the Winter. 

Maybe I'm judging it harshly because to me it's a 330ml can on a plane throw it down your neck and regret it when the belly ache kicks in beer but also considering they're the 5th biggest brewery in the country and also from North thine westphalia yet none of the bars I went to round here really push it, I'm not sure I've seen it in a bar, definitley not on tap (hardly anything is)

The crazy thing is the biggest brewery in Germany is oettinger and I never see them anywhere, I have to go to a special off license to get a bottle of that and it's just OK, think it's cheap

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

The Christmas beers are open

Bitburger winterbock, normal Bitburger is a pils, this is a 7% helles bockbier and its great, highly recommended

Also got a warsteiner winter edition which looks like a darker beer closer to what they call a Keller bier which I'm interested in because I don't understand warsteiners popularity, its a big international beer but its gassy and one of germanys worst beers (becks too) then a monschof weinachtbier (Christmas beer) monschof do a very underrated helles

Supermarkets here need to do better with German beers. There's a lot better than what you can normally get.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

Supermarkets here need to do better with German beers. There's a lot better than what you can normally get.

I'm the 3.5 years I've been here and travelled home it has got noticeably better

Off the top of my head in sainsburys kiddy you can get fruh kolsch which is ok, at least one weissbier (but I think it's franziskaner which isn't a good one imo) and the paulaner oktobetfest edition which is very good

6 minutes ago, Xela said:

Bit late but was out last week in town (mate) - 6 pints of this on draft. Noice. 

images-q-tbn-ANd9-Gc-Sz-YJ0r4v2-DUq85-SL

Again travelling back home I have my theory that in order to get around the moaning about price increases my local is introducing better beers and this is the one at the moment, got rid of San Miguel in favour of Madri and got rid of Stella in favour of Camden, it being something like £5.50 a pint was not lost on me

Edit -  it's a damn good pint though!

Edited by villa4europe

52 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I'm the 3.5 years I've been here and travelled home it has got noticeably better

Off the top of my head in sainsburys kiddy you can get fruh kolsch which is ok, at least one weissbier (but I think it's franziskaner which isn't a good one imo) and the paulaner oktobetfest edition which is very good

On the subject of Oktoberfest beers, I actually enjoy Lidl's festival beer. Pretty good value at £1.25 a can. Not had their wheat beer one though.

12 minutes ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

On the subject of Oktoberfest beers, I actually enjoy Lidl's festival beer. Pretty good value at £1.25 a can. Not had their wheat beer one though.

If you can find it I like the dark wheat beer called a dunkle weissbier, I've got a couple of the long weissbier glasses and no doubt there's YouTube videos on how to pour it, basically same as all German beers wash the glass out with cold water first, pour it like a Guinness slowly as it needs time to settle, then when there's about 1cm left in the bottle shake it until frothy then pour it on top to achieve the Mr whippy ice cream effect

I've drank one straight out of the bottle which horrified the father in law, he refused to let me do it again 😂

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Maybe I'm judging it harshly because to me it's a 330ml can on a plane throw it down your neck and regret it when the belly ache kicks in beer

Can? Ugh. Bottles only, please.  I never drink canned beer. Or 'draft' lager. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Yeah I'm not a big can drinker, it's 90% bottles here including in bars, the village pub I'll watch the WC in is all bottles

That said following the father in law having and loving his first bottle of morretti last week I was in Aldi and saw a promotion on fancy pants world beers so in the fridge there are cans of estrella, sol and tiger, 50p for a 330ml can is good going I couldn't turn it down, all perfectly fine but throw away bland lagers good for the football

Edit -  I do actually miss a draft pint

Edited by villa4europe

31 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Same (almost.) 

If I need quantity on a budget, I’ll sometimes buy a six pack of pint cans for a house party kind of do

But it’s exclusively* Guinness in the pub, and bottled lager for warm summer days or on the very rare occassions I have a drink at home. 

*Fine, I’ll admit it, I’ll start off with a cider if I’m hungover. 

Went to a whiskey festival today, from 12:00 to 16:00. 

Just woke up, at 16:10, I sent a text to my other half: "First Jr. I am very f*ck". I think she know what I meant,

Edited by Davkaus

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I don't mind cans at all and if it's poured in a glass I don't think there is much difference. A bottle is much better to drink out of than a can though if it can't be poured.

8 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I learnt on a brewery tour a number of years ago something useful. It’s this: For bottled beer, clear glass is really bad. Brown less so, but still not great. It’s because daylight/sunlight breaks down the essential oils from the hops and degrades the flavour. With canning, this doesn’t happen. In the old times canned, mass produced beer was just gassy and awful, but proper ale, canned in the modern way is the least bad way of providing as close to the original intent of the brewery as possible.

its why all these craft beers are canned.

• Like 4

Â