What's your tipple this evening then?

coda

4 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Not sure I’d like the chocolate thrown in with it. 

It's not thrown in Ruge, no chocolate in them at all. It's a taste given out by the type of dark malts they use and the way they are roasted

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

It's not thrown in Ruge, no chocolate in them at all. It's a taste given out by the type of dark malts they use and the way they are roasted

I guess he might’ve meant thrown in with the other flavours he’s interested in, but regardless you can and they do actually chuck anything like whole candy bars (for want of a better word to describe chocolate bars that aren’t just bars of chocolate) into the boil.

1 minute ago, fightoffyour said:

I guess he might’ve meant thrown in with the other flavours he’s interested in, but regardless you can and they do actually chuck anything like whole candy bars (for want of a better word to describe chocolate bars that aren’t just bars of chocolate) into the boil.

Most of the chocolate stouts I've come across, the chocolate comes from the roasted malts but I'll take your word for it

I've had a bottle or two of Westmalle Trappist Tripel tonight. £2.50 a bottle in Morrisons, a bloody bargain, the best Belgian easily available in the shops I think. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, bickster said:

Most of the chocolate stouts I've come across, the chocolate comes from the roasted malts but I'll take your word for it

You’re definitely right about chocolate malt too, it’s probably just a newer trend of brewing thick, sweet stouts that actually resemble boozy, liquid candy bars that use all those adjuncts.

Here’s a quick example because I love this brewery and they’re specific about all the ingredients they use:

UNRAVEL: WHITE CHOCOLATE COCONUT TRUFFLE

Pastry Imperial Stout brewed in Jilava, Romania

• 11% ABV
  • 27.6P
  • 330ml
Ingredients
 Water, Grains (Extra pale, Flaked oats, Dextrin, Chocolate, T50, Brown malt, Roasted barley, Crystal extra dark, Crystal medium), Cocoa nibs, White chocolate, Coconut, Hops (Simcoe), Yeast, Natural extracts

From Ancient times we've been trying to unravel the mysterious workings rattling in our brain, trying to make sense of the 'why' and the 'how' of our reality.

We might be overrating ourselves. The squishy bits floating around our thinkbox might actually be concerned with entirely other... important stuff

• Like 2

Had 5 new beers I hadn't tried before this weekend. In ascending order:

Signature-Brew-G-Sharp-Sour.jpg

Grapefruit flavoured beers have a special place in my heart, as both Brewdog's Elvis Juice and Magic Rock's High Wire Grapefruit were two of the earliest beers I tried as I moved away from drinking lager. So I was quite excited to have a new grapefruit flavoured beer, a sour. **** me it was awful. It tasted just like stomach acid. I took a break in the middle to play with the dog, and after about 5 minutes in the back garden I felt like I was drowning in bile. I've only ever thrown one beer down the sink, but this was as close as I have come since. Awful, and note to self, never buy again.

Basqueland_imparable_west-coast_IPA_can_

I've mentioned a few Basqueland veers on here as I've tried them over the last couple of months. This was a perfectly serviceable IPA, but definitely the weakest of those I've tried (the ones I liked more, in ascending order - Aupa pale ale, Mucho Mucho mango passion sour, Churros con Chocolate stout, Arraun red ale). It has a very faint taste of onions, which I know someone here mentioned as a result of either mosaic or citra hops, can't remember which, but I've kind of stopped having plain IPAs because I find increasingly I get that onion-y aftertaste. Anyway, it was definitely not bad, but no more than a standard IPA.

Puhaste-Dekadents-Raisin-Vanilla-Rum-Imp

This one is 'Dekadents' from Puhaste, a 'raisin vanilla rum stout'. It was very tasty, but pretty strong for me at 11.2%. Again, probably the one I liked least of their range; I liked both the guava gose and the stout brewed with port and whisky barrels ('Tumeaine') more. However, I would happily recommend this one for anyone who likes a strong, flavoured stout.

16d70ad16d4a48f9d91781b98ed20a46_640x640

The picture says it all, an oak aged brown ale from 'Browar Stu Mostow', which is a new one on me but seems to be Polish from the writing on the can. Very, very tasty IMO. Just a rich, complex dark brown ale, really good flavour and I shall be seeking it out again.

BEERS301189_900x.jpg?v=1617183746

A 'volta rhubarb and blood orange sour' from North Brewing. Love love love blood oranges, and this is a really nice sour. Not too sour, not going to pucker your face like Reese Witherspoon, got a nice amount of sweetness to it too. Very good for summer, will be getting more. The pick of the bunch for me.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Had 5 new beers I hadn't tried before this weekend. In ascending order:

Basqueland_imparable_west-coast_IPA_can_

I've mentioned a few Basqueland veers on here as I've tried them over the last couple of months. This was a perfectly serviceable IPA, but definitely the weakest of those I've tried (the ones I liked more, in ascending order - Aupa pale ale, Mucho Mucho mango passion sour, Churros con Chocolate stout, Arraun red ale). It has a very faint taste of onions, which I know someone here mentioned as a result of either mosaic or citra hops, can't remember which, but I've kind of stopped having plain IPAs because I find increasingly I get that onion-y aftertaste. Anyway, it was definitely not bad, but no more than a standard IPA.

Galaxy I thought?

I seem to have settled into this becoming my standard beer in the fridge, mainly due to a 4 pack being £6:50 in the supermarket and it's a Hazy PA that tastes predominantly of beer, yes it's a bit fruity but not in a sharp angular wtf was that way

Northen Monk - Faith

Northern-Monk-Faith-Can-440ml.jpg

Last nigt I also tried this which has just appeared in the supermarket in a summer revamp of lines. The Wild Beer Co (Who I like) - Everstone a Hazy New Zealand IPA (New Zealand Hops). It was very drinkable much in the same was as the above one, the fruit flavours are not totally in your face and you know you're drinking beer

wild-beer-co-everstone-1619710073440ml-F

• Like 1

Brew Dog something or Othor

Canden IPA

Camden Hells

Lidl orange flavoured lager

Camden Bock lager

Brew DoG something gin

Kraken

Lots more Kraken

hammered, we’ve been taking it in turns to jump over the fire

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Brewdog are copping a load of shit from former employees at the moment. Which reminds me, never once enjoyed a brew dog beer. 

Edited by Seat68
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Which reminds me, never once enjoyed a brew dog beer. 

Yep, I'd agree. Punk IPA was horrible and I never bothered buying anything after that, until the other week. I bought a can of Hazy Jane, possibly the worst Hazy IPA I've ever tasted.

EDIT: Apart from that Rhubarb Milkshake onem which I convinced was bodily fluids fresh from the slab in the morgue

• Like 1

Been reading about the onion flavour and I don't think it's anything to do with a specific hop anymore but rather problems like over boiling or dry hopping any of them that produces a certain chemical compound with that flavour. No wonder I couldn't pinpoint a particular hop that was responsible. Time to end the hopism.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Brewdog are copping a load of shit from former employees at the moment. Which reminds me, never once enjoyed a brew dog beer. 

Elvis Juice is by far the best thing they do. 

My girlfriend and I were once asked to be quiet in a brewdog bar because we were having a laugh and a giggle, as 'some other guests had complained'.

Unfortunately for said 'guests', this caused far more hilarity than what had preceded. I suppose for purposes of clarity I should point out this was probably around 11pm on a Saturday night. 

On 10/06/2021 at 06:16, Seat68 said:

Their IPAs are typically pretty poor by modern standards - they were a good option years ago when your choice in supermarkets was basically Brewdog or a couple of dozen generic "bitters", they were a decent gateway in to craft beer for a lot of people, but these days even in tiny local shops, there's typically better options than Brewdog. Elvis Juice and Clockwork Tangerine are drinkable, the flavours nicely cover up how mediocre their beer is. They do some half decent stouts, though.

Their attempts to pretend to be "punk" as an international brand in every major retailer, while stealing people's work and filing frivelous trademark claims is pretty tragic though. They're as un-punk as you can get. It's like a middle-aged man who dresses like Jeremy Clarkson buying a Harley.

• Like 4

Â